What's new

8bitforlife

Grand Master
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
hello I have a console setup on a tv that has component. I run everything through 2 scart switches with auto port that go through a rgb2component to the tv. My question is what would the best way to hook up HAS to my setup?

thats it? I was thinking it would require more that seems easy. I thought i might need to incorporate an extron or ossc or something

For a CRT TV you don't need any upscaling, so it's that easy :) I'm using the NESRGB cable from etim as mentioned by HAS creator @RGB up here, works perfectly fine. Even though I'm contemplating upgrading to the RGC one as all of my other cables are made by Robert (OCD :D).

Reactions: RGB
thats it? I was thinking it would require more that seems easy. I thought i might need to incorporate an extron or ossc or something
The only issue you may end up with some PCBs not syncing up with the TV (like Raiden PCB).

As recommended above, I usually skip my Extron devices and run my HAS through a NES 8-pin to SCART cable to a rgb2comp to my consumer CRT TV. It's simple and looks neater on the coffee table with minimal wires.

Various Extron devices allow you to adjust horizontal and/or vertical position to better center the image to a limited extent. This isn't necessary, but it can be helpful, especially if you can't make the adjustments in the CRT TV's service menu. You'll also need to be aware of the sync voltage levels the Extron device might send to your rgb2component converter. Also, this won't fix geometry issues and it won't force your TV to sync with all boards. Finally, this adds yet another device on your chain to troubleshoot if things go wrong and another set of wires to manage.

Reactions: RGB
what can I add to the chain to fix sync and geometry

I don't have any personal experience, but I read about people using iScan DVDO VP30/50/50Pro products to deal with arcade boards with problematic sync (i.e. Midway Mortal Kombat boards). It receives the arcade board's video with the "off spec" sync and processes it to output video with sync closer to a steady 60hz. However, they used the DVDO to output video to their modern HD TV/monitor and the product added input lag.

Back