What's new

thomas3184

Grand Master
Reaction score
This is not a multi, it is just a Frontend for use on any computer. Just like any MAME frontend like Hyperspin. No games provided here, sorry.

With that out of the way, I am using Attract-Mode as the title says, and with a theme that was completed in 2017 which is no longer in development or supported. It only officially works on Attract-Mode 2.1.0 ish. Unless you are absolutely in love with this theme, you should find a different one. I suggest looking up a nesicaxlive 2 theme. If you do love this theme, then see below.

1. Download Attract-Mode 2.6.1 Front End with NXL HD theme
https://mega.nz/file/t3Q11bgK#ezgdDOIfbu3lkVwSjBhmg5CeDCFBzx-6FDynr9N5odI

2. Extract to folder, I am using D:\SYSTEM\AM directory
While you are at it, create an artwork directory
8EeXxSX.jpg

3. Start attract.exe inside AM directory, choose a language, you should now be on the configuration screen
CGO91wN.jpg

4. Go to Emulators, add Emulator, name it CAVE
d8tPbJs.jpg

5. Go back to configure menu and choose displays, Select Add display, name it GUI
syhDjct.jpg

6. Go back to configure menu and choose controls. In here, change left, right, and select
iacbT6W.jpg

7. Change the default action for left to previous page and right to next page
pq18u5s.jpg

8. For Select, Add input and assign it to Q
6HSLyrx.jpg

9. Go down to Previous and Next Filter, assign W to Previous Filter and E to Next Filter
VNFQ3hh.jpg

10. Go back to configure menu, go to General
I choose Fullscreen Mode for the Window Mode
No Wrap for Filter Wrap Mode, this controls whether it goes back to your first filter after you get to the end or not.
Add ;.\ to Font Path to point to the fonts used in this theme
2v2QlY2.jpg

11. Exit the configure menu entirely and you should look like this:
MzhFemp.jpg

12. You can now exit Attract-Mode and go back to your AM directory. Navigate to the emulator folder and edit CAVE.cfg
Oc0Pb41.jpg

13. Replace with the following:

# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.6.1
#
executable cmd
args /c "[romfilename]"
rompath D:\GAMES\CAVE\
romext .a3x
system PC
info_source steam
nb_mode_wait 5
exit_hotkey Escape
artwork Flyer ..\Artwork\CAVE\flyer
artwork Logo ..\Artwork\CAVE\Logo
artwork Snaps ..\Artwork\CAVE\videos
artwork Video ..\Artwork\CAVE\videos
artwork Videos ..\Artwork\CAVE\videos
artwork boxart ..\Artwork\CAVE\boxart
artwork flyer ..\Artwork\CAVE\flyer
artwork logo ..\Artwork\CAVE\Logo
artwork marquee ..\Artwork\CAVE\wheel
artwork snap ..\Artwork\CAVE\videos
artwork snaps ..\Artwork\CAVE\videos
artwork title ..\Artwork\CAVE\title
artwork wheel ..\Artwork\CAVE\wheel

14. Navigate to romlists folder and create a list.txt
FLl9XRm.jpg

Paste the following information in:

ddpsdoj;DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou;CAVE;;2012;CAVE;Shooter;2;0;3;;;;CAVE;怒首領蜂 最大往生;

15. Go back to the AM folder and edit attract.cfg
vUFfqDa.jpg

Paste the following as shown here:

romlist list

filter CAVE
sort_by Title
rule Emulator equals CAVE
e9VZY01.jpg

Paste the following at the bottom of attract.cfg:

layout_config NXL HD
param art wheel
param artRotate custom1
param aspect_ratio No
param bg_image assets/backgrounds/Background.png
param flow Vertical
param logo logo
param nbuttons Buttons
param shader Yes
param ttime 140

16. Go into the ARTWORK folder you created previously.
Create a CAVE folder. (matches emulator name you chose)
Create LOGO, VIDEOS, and WHEEL folders (files within here should match the <ROMNAME> in romlist)
2pXl6O4.jpg

Now we take a break.

Last edited:
17. Go to https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/ or www.google.com and search for your game. Save some flyer/marquee images and the clear logo.
s8gMTrV.jpg

18. Put the clear logo in your LOGO folder

19. Download border template file to create wheel image
https://mega.nz/file/AzJiBDCB#ZDqrs46mcumC2MXuz7MobS5ekL0l63grHE8rSfpgLvk

20. Go to https://www.photopea.com/
Drag template file to open it up
cH28LXk.jpg

21. Drag your flyer/marquee image in and resize it. Make sure the border layer is on top if you even care about the border.
QoQUBKT.jpg

22. Go to File>Export as>PNG and save it to your WHEEL folder.
yY1NJdk.jpg

23. Go to https://emumovies.com/ or www.google.com and find a short video or record your own gameplay. Place it in the VIDEOS folder.

24. Start Attract-Mode again and it should look like this:
BaxFMNf.jpg

All this information is getting populated depending on what you put in your romlist as shown below.

<ROMNAME>;<DISPLAY TOP OF FRONTEND>;<EMULATOR>;;<FE YEAR>;<MANUFACTURER ICON>;<GENRE FE>;<PLAYERS FE>;<GAMEVERSION FE>;<BUTTONS>;<NETWORK>;;;<SYSTEM ICON FE>;<JP TITLE>;

If <MANUFACTURER ICON> shows up blank, put one in "D:\SYSTEM\AM\layouts\NXL HD\assets\publisher logos"
For <NETWORK>, any number > 40000 will turn the network icon on (Green)
If <SYSTEM ICON FE> shows up blank, put one in "D:\SYSTEM\AM\layouts\NXL HD\assets\system"

25. Download and install Auto-It. Not necessary, but helps unify everything for Attract-Mode since it will always just launch a .a3x file.
https://www.autoitscript.com/cgi-bin/getfile.pl?autoit3/autoit-v3-setup.zip

26. Create a new text file, name it ddpsdoj.au3
Paste the following, assuming you have mame installed in "D:\SYSTEM\MAME\"

#include <Constants.au3>
ProcessClose("attract.exe")
FileChangeDir("D:\SYSTEM\MAME\")
Run("D:\SYSTEM\MAME\mame.exe ddpsdoj", "", @SW_HIDE)
ProcessWaitClose("mame.exe")
FileChangeDir("D:\SYSTEM\AM\")
Run("D:\SYSTEM\AM\attract.exe")
Exit

27. Run Aut2exe.exe. Drag and drop your .au3 file and select the .a3x radio button.
8fviVhX.jpg

28. Place .a3x file in "D:\GAMES\CAVE" or whatever you have specified for rompath in step 13.

29. Rinse and repeat as necessary, enjoy!

Last edited:
Additional Tweaks
-------------------------------------------------
Change Manufacturer RSS Feed:

Edit "D:\SYSTEM\AM\layouts\NXL HD.\layout.nut"

Copy a line and change what you want to display in green. Change what manufacturer icon displays this text in red. First line is default attract mode text for no match.
CjrSjXL.jpg

Last edited:
The original theme/multi/arts thread from 2016 that every multi copied across each version, TmTX3, TTX4, TTX5, TTX12, TTXFORSALE, TTXNOTFORSALE, TTXYESYOUDIDCOPYIT etc. He did do a really good job on that frontend. This might help YOU with the way you use it, it certainly helped ME, and most of the crap i spouted came from that thread from 2016. It was made in 2016, finished and dev stopped in 2017, been sitting there since. It's GUI and arts only information, NO GAMES. Some of the info relates to that specific multi and various exe files, so that info is not generic to other versions, but the general frontend stuff is all in there, and since pretty much every multi that uses that thee copied it, the GUI editing stuff is the same. It's kind of like a manual. Everyone who contributed to that did a great job.

https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...d-pras-meets-nxl-last-update-12-14-2017.1985/

Here's the themes 10 page thread on the same frontend at the attract mode forums.
http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=870.0

These threads might help someone with something.

Nice thread, any idea how to add JVS or Fast IO support?

Someone already made input lag comparisons with the official boards?

Super ! The info is back !

Is there a way to add a favourite category , that automatically adds the tagged as “favourites” in attract mode ?

Nice thread, any idea how to add JVS or Fast IO support?

You need either jvs to keyboard or fastio to keyboard program. Similar to joy2key which translates joypad to keyboard.

I remember someone asked how to modify the RSS feeds before it disappeared so I have posted that above in additional tweaks section at the end.

Thanks, just let me know if anyone needs more info or specific art. I’m slowly working through making art.

thanks for all and the psd , now I can have a good wheel

I have a handful of custom wheels I made for games I use as well if you need some, otherwise, have fun making them. They take awhile sometimes depending on how much attention to detail you want.

Am I the only one that finds the navigation behavior of this theme incredibly confusing? I just don't understand the way the menu moves.

If you make up down and down up, the vertical behavior makes sense. But left and right are weird when you get to the edge. Pressing right at the right edge scrolls the contents to the right, but it should scroll to left. Is this how the real Nessica UI behaves? Is it possible to change this behavior in Attract Mode?

Edit:
7. Change the default action for left to previous page and right to next page
This fixed it! The preconfigured image I found did not have it set like this.

Last edited:
Yup, it depends on which version of it you got and how it was configured. I don’t even know how to get a pure version of this theme anymore.

If you use the version I linked, up should actually be up and down is down as far as I know. So you don’t have to be navigating the UI backwards.

Back