What's new
I'm fine with variery, i just don't find this game appealing or a real "must have" or something that really had to be here.
I would rather wait and hope for some scrolling beat em up ,or a great platform, stuff that really lacks on neo geo (a part from Mutant Nation and Raguy, cool games but not that awesome).
I just think this game is uneccessary here, it is what it is, a simple game with a very old and basic concept. Its defenetly not something to dust off your console, like Paprium on MegaDrive did. Thats what i'm looking for.

Last edited:
I just think this game is uneccessary here, it is what it is, a simple game with a very old and basic concept. Its defenetly not something to dust off your console, like Paprium on MegaDrive did. Thats what i'm looking for.

If you like Paprium, you should check out some of the NG Dev Team homebrew Neo Geo games - their later titles include extra chips in the cartridge to push what the Neo Geo base hardware is capable of. Gunlord is a good action-platformer Turrican clone that doesn't play like any other Neo Geo game. Kraut Buster does follow the Metal Slug formula, but it runs 60 fps with no slowdown and has great music & hand-drawn pixel art.

If you like Paprium, you should check out some of the NG Dev Team homebrew Neo Geo games - their later titles include extra chips in the cartridge to push what the Neo Geo base hardware is capable of. Gunlord is a good action-platformer Turrican clone that doesn't play like any other Neo Geo game. Kraut Buster does follow the Metal Slug formula, but it runs 60 fps with no slowdown and has great music & hand-drawn pixel art.
Yeah, i have played a bunch of them and i like what they did, allthough it was on Dreamcast for some of them, Aes and Mvs are too pricey for me

Yeah, i have played a bunch of them and i like what they did, allthough it was on Dreamcast for some of them, Aes and Mvs are too pricey for me
Meaning no offense at all:

This game is targeted directly at people who want and care about NEO GEO games running on real hardware. Yes, the author released the MAME roms as well, but his stated goal is to raise money to produce cartridges and a spinner (developed by another party) that is compatible with MVS/AES

If you don't have an MVS or AES, I'm curious why you offered (what I interpreted to be) a pretty negative opinion on this release?

I would imagine it doesn't really impact you at all, considering you have no way to play it (other than emulation/simulation).

When you said "do we need another.." I assumed by "we" you meant "MVS/AES owners". Now I have to assume you meant "everyone interested in games" when you said "we".

I could see wanting more/different games released for the original hardware, if you own that hardware. If not using original hardware, I don't see why anyone would care one way or the other about this release. You can purchase games for any system/console and not limit yourself to the scope of what the MVS/AES offers.

I'm just curious.

Regarding Paprium (I have one on order that I probably will never see), the NEO GEO hardware doesn't need anything like that because its games are already far superior to anything on the Genesis/Mega Drive (even Paprium, from what I've seen) with the existing 30 year old library.

I don't wanna be hated but, do we really needed an "arkanoid" on the neo geo? looks dull to me

I'm fine with variery, i just don't find this game appealing or a real "must have" or something that really had to be here.
I would rather wait and hope for some scrolling beat em up ,or a great platform, stuff that really lacks on neo geo (a part from Mutant Nation and Raguy, cool games but not that awesome).
Absolutely disagree with these statements. I welcome more variety, and as a spinner game fan I appreciate a cool looking update to Arkanoid.

Meaning no offense at all:

This game is targeted directly at people who want and care about NEO GEO games running on real hardware. Yes, the author released the MAME roms as well, but his stated goal is to raise money to produce cartridges and a spinner (developed by another party) that is compatible with MVS/AES

If you don't have an MVS or AES, I'm curious why you offered (what I interpreted to be) a pretty negative opinion on this release?

I would imagine it doesn't really impact you at all, considering you have no way to play it (other than emulation/simulation).

When you said "do we need another.." I assumed by "we" you meant "MVS/AES owners". Now I have to assume you meant "everyone interested in games" when you said "we".

I could see wanting more/different games released for the original hardware, if you own that hardware. If not using original hardware, I don't see why anyone would care one way or the other about this release. You can purchase games for any system/console and not limit yourself to the scope of what the MVS/AES offers.

I'm just curious.

Regarding Paprium (I have one on order that I probably will never see), the NEO GEO hardware doesn't need anything like that because its games are already far superior to anything on the Genesis/Mega Drive (even Paprium, from what I've seen) with the existing 30 year old library.
I don't have a great english, anyway i was speaking about having the Ngdev games on Neo, they are too expensive (buying now). I have almost 100 aes games including the big ones, thats not the point.
My point was that if someone make a new neo geo game, damn, at least i want something cool like they did for Paprium, a "big" game, not a dull clone of arkanoid. If you put the effort to make a game on that system, and you have the knowledge to do so, take it big, even if this could take ages to do.
I was surprised that people are actually happy about this release, like this could be a killer app for the system that everyone dreamed about. I found it very boring and complitely unecessary, thats it, just my opinion, it's not a statement :)
I just had the same reaction with treasure of caribbean some years ago, another uneccessary puzzle bobble/puyo pop clone that no one ever talked again after the release, many don't even know that exist :D

Last edited:
I don't have a great english, anyway i was speaking about having the Ngdev games on Neo, they are too expensive (buying now). I have almost 100 aes games including the big ones, thats not the point.
My point was that if someone make a new neo geo game, damn, at least i want something cool like they did for Paprium, a "big" game, not a dull clone of arkanoid. If you put the effort to make a game on that system, and you have the knowledge to do so, take it big, even if this could take ages to do.
I was surprised that people are actually happy about this release, like this could be a killer app for the system that everyone dreamed about. I found it very boring and complitely unecessary, thats it, just my opinion, it's not a statement :)
I just had the same reaction with treasure of caribbean some years ago, another uneccessary puzzle bobble/puyo pop clone that no one ever talked again after the release, many don't even know that exist :D

All you you had to say was AES/MVS Ng dev games are too expensive (I agree!!!).

I thought you were referring to AES/MVS in general.

I get it now.

I don't think anyone thinks it's a killer app, but it is fun (for those of us that enjoy these games).

I don't see any point in discouraging the developer either.

One person's trash is another person's treasure. What one person would find dull, another would find exciting.
I enjoy spinner games, there aren't that many out there, so I welcome a new addition to the genre.

But also, it sounds like you have no idea how much work it takes to make a game. Especially if you're doing it solo.
Even a "clone of arkanoid" is no easy task. NeoHomeBrew made a good choice to keep the scope small and achievable. Many indie and homebrew developers fall into the trap of setting their sights on something big and epic in game design. That's a rookie mistake. Keep the games small and tight for a small and tight team. Gain momentum that way, then work your way up to making the bigger epic games once you've got your process down to a science.

In any case, your english is fine, there is no mistaking your intent. This "cancel culture" bullshit your pulling doesn't help anyone. We shouldn't be discouraging homebrew and indie developers putting out new games for these old systems. If you don't like the game, that's your opinion. Move along.
But you don't speak for everyone. I for one am EXCITED for a new spinner game.

The developer says that there are 2 minor bug fixes in the version that is available for download. You will download it from the same place as the original download. The filename is even the same.

This can be confusing, and I'm not a fan of not creating a new filename when making updates, but I have to admit I've done it myself.

I believe they are mostly cosmetic.

Spent a bit of time with this lately and just chiming in to say that Hypernoid is superb.

I really think it would be successful as a physical release.

It's tweaked suprisingly well for an "indie" game with lots of interesting mechanics/power-ups.

On 11/1 the dev released a nice update that fixes some bugs and makes other enhancements.

Neo CD version is updated as well.

The more I play this game, the more it's feeling like a keeper; A game that will be in my rotation indefinitely.

Back