What's new
I had a similar issue but it was about half the games on the card came up with large letters for the titles on the LCD showing the folder names rather than the games themselves.

Turned out that the kit didn't like my 32gb SD card (SanDisk) and when I replaced it with a brand new 16GB card it was fine, so I suspect that even during the card didn't completely erase it or something

Didnt run the command, just checked the Xmen directories for dupes.
The reason I asked you to run that specific command is because the windows file structure can sometimes have 2 folders named exactly the same, when browsing using windows it only appears as one folder but it will reveal itself with that command.

That command explicitly shows the shortened "xxxxx~1" style file names, which is why I made the suggestion since that seems to be what's appearing on people's LCDs.

I appreciate the help, I'm familiar with the command and what it does. When I said I checked the directories for dupes I meant the initial complete roll up pack. I was formatting the card between tries and since other people have used the full roll up pack I didnt think it was a dupe folder issue.

If you'd like I can format the card and copy the complete back over again and see if there is in fact a dupe folder but my instinct tells me that's not the issue at hand despite the symptoms.

Silly question: Does the multikit only recognize the first 4GB on the SD card? I've tried to load the 'full' set on two different cards (8GB, 32GB) from a clean format, but directories after ssf2xjdi do not seem to be loaded correctly; the NAME file seems to be ignored and attempting to load the game finishes with a 'Operation Failed' error. ...
John is on to something. Anything past 4GB seems to not load and have the garbage LCD display for handful of SD cards I have. I went through formatting, copying, changing folder names to 8.3 to no avail but when I deleted a handful of roms I noticed that I could load games past the "ssf2xjdi"...when I looked at the total size of the roms that now worked, it was right at 4GB. I guess I'll just make a new rom set of <4GB.

The minimal set is fine but it bit me in the ass at MAGFest when shmup folks wanted the JP Progear because the US release screwed with the scoring mechanic and I only had the released minimal.

That's good info. Can everyone else reproduce this or is it specific to certain sd cards? If it's a kit bug, maybe a firmware update could fix it?

My experience with Sandisk SD cards is to stay away from the extreme pro ones or whatever they are called, stick with ultra 40mbs

Yeah I used a 16Gb ultra with no problems
Are you copying the "full set" that is 5+ GB to your SD card? Are you loading games past the ST's?

I've been using 16GB SDHC ("10") type cards, they load fine and speedy but any folder past the 4GB accumulative size seems to display incorrectly on the LCD and not load. I've tried a 8GB ("2") type, and it does the same thing. I do not have currently access to any more SD cards to test, but with others on the forum having the same issue and with the handful of cards I have used in the past, all have the same issue.

I went through the Full set, removed any "A", "B", "E", "H" and kept only "J" and "U" plus any variants that the FGC prefers (where applicable). Got the total down to ~3GB. This is good enough for me, I just want to let other know in case they run into the same 4GB limit issue(as it appears to me).

It all depends how the SD card is being read, it's interesting that 4GB seems to be the limit since this is the limit of standard (non SDHC) type cards and also the limit of FAT file size.

In answer to your question I'm running the minimalist set, I don't need every version of every game so this works for me,I may however do as you've done and add a few of the better versions of games from the Japanese side (like Progear)

I don't think that 4GB is a real limit of the hardware, is it? It seems like people can get the full set working on certain cards. If someone could test this and give a definitive report, I'll update the roll up instructions to clear the confusion.

I'd sort all of this out myself, but I'm living away from my multi for a few years.

No, it's not a limit of the hardware because otherwise it wouldn't read >4GB cards at all.

I imagine different cards allocate their space different ways and the CPS2 multi is just particularly sensitive to that, it's not a problem with the multi at all, rather manufacturers of SD cards not sticking to the standard.

I'll have a look and get back to you with some info if it could be related to file system / hardware / firmware issues.

Back