What's new

hyp36rmax

Champion
Reaction score
Anyone else have a RetroTINK5X connected to an IGS PGM? I have this weird screen curling aside from sync issues when LPF is set to Medium+.

• IGS PGM Arcade PCB
  • HAS SuperGun 4.1
  • Lions3 IGS PGM Case
  • RetroTink5X : Output Res 1080p (Fill) | H.Sampling Generic 4:3 | Interpolation Sharp | VSYNC Triple Buffer | Deinterlace Motion Adaptive | Y/C Filter 4-Line Comb | LPF: None
  • RetroTink5X Firmware: V1.24
  • Retro Gaming Cables MiniDin to SCART Pack-A-Punch SCART
  • AVerMedia Live Gamer Ultra GC553

You can see the sync issues as I go through RetroTINK5X options at 10:30 mark:

2021-06-26_21-28-38.png

2021-06-26_21-28-58.png

2021-06-26_21-29-45.png

2021-06-26_21-30-14.png

Hey Hyper, I see you finally got some arcade collecting rabbit hole. I'll test mine when u get home. I'm having that issue with the Neo Geo AES. Try cycling the H. Sampling that usually fixes my AES. Also try using the Neo Geo H. Sampling. I'll get back to you with my resukts.

Happens on my PVM20L5 too. It's sync related, on other boards when you get this you can run via an extron RXi device and use the SERR dipswitch. I've never managed to make it work with PGM.

Hey Hyper, I see you finally got some arcade collecting rabbit hole. I'll test mine when u get home. I'm having that issue with the Neo Geo AES. Try cycling the H. Sampling that usually fixes my AES. Also try using the Neo Geo H. Sampling. I'll get back to you with my resukts.
Haha yea. AES will have that issue. MVS and Neo Geo CD work great with RetroTink5X
Happens on my PVM20L5 too. It's sync related, on other boards when you get this you can run via an extron RXi device and use the SERR dipswitch. I've never managed to make it work with PGM.

Connected to an Ikegami TM20-20RH and worked great. I’ll do more testing this weekend.

8683C648-08F9-4375-81BB-FAE1EF02DBEA.jpeg

signal-2021-08-01-153235_004.jpeg

Same thing happens with my PVM20L5 through a minigun. Seems like the Extron fix I normally use for this doesn't work with the PGM.

Did you every figure this out? Have the same issue on pgm, only res that doesn't curl is 480p.

Flashed to v.1.84 and it's weird, with Esp conversion on one PGM mb I get that curl, tried a completey different pgm mb using DDP and it looks great (no curl).

Flashed to v.1.84 and it's weird, with Esp conversion on one PGM mb I get that curl, tried a completey different pgm mb using DDP and it looks great (no curl).

Try cycling through resolutions, samplings, and LPF.

This happens to me with my JROK encoder that I have in my supergun as well.

I'm noticing the same screen curl issue as well with my HAS 4.1 a RetroTINK 5X (firmware 2.39).

Setting LPF to "strong" does not improve the image, for me.

I don't have Ketsui but I've reproduced this with several "Beat 'em Up" games and Demon Front.

The only thing I've found to improve the curl is to use the N64 horizontal sampling preset. But the image is not stable. It flickers and seems to jump horizontally.

Has anyone figured out the ideal RetroTINK 5X settings for PGM?

Edit: I contacted RetroTINK and received a response encouraging me to play with more of the ADC settings. I've managed to dial in a near perfect image. After I do a little more testing, I'll post details of my results here.

Last edited:
I get exactly the same curl on a PGM IGS Demon Front pcb both through an OSSC and directly to a Philips 8833 monitor in RGB so it may be the graphics from both cases running through a Chinese Supergun

Last edited:
I've reproduced the curl with both TimeHarvest (component video into the RetroTINK 5X) and HAS (SCART) superguns. I recently purchased a Shogun Ultra but I haven't had time to break it out yet.

I'm still doing some testing but I've managed to almost completely eliminate the curl with a combination of horizontal sampling and ADC settings. Just the top row of pixels is very slightly offset.

I'll post my results here once I'm done tinkering.

In the meantime, yesterday evening, RetroTINK support (I assume it was Mike or his wife :)) shared this tweet with me. Those ADC settings are similar to mine.

I've found that the ADC settings need to be tweaked depending on my selected output resolution. I don't have the beta firmware so I haven't tested with the resolution used in the tweet.

But those settings should be a good jumping off point for anyone trying to correct this issue for themselves.

Happened occasionally with atomiswave when I used to stream. My "hotfix" was just switch the input an then go back so it resyncs the signal.
A permanent fix would be much appreciated.
I didn't want to mess with the settings too deep yet, was a bit concered to damage the hardware.

Just popping in to say I just got a PGM and ran into the same issue with RetroTink 5x. OSSC however works great with no curl

Try messing around with LLPLL Gain, Pre-Coast and Post-Coast. Probably LLPLL gain is the most useful adjustment. I was able to fix some curl on Irem M92 and Psikyo 68EC020 PCBs using these adjustments, but the picture is still somewhat unstable / wobbly for Psikyo. OSSC works fine without adjustments.

Back