What's new
Yes, it's very simple really.

For video your Vewlix probably has DVI in, you just get the right cable for your video card and your PC is set.

For sound you can just run the 1/8th inch jack, easy.

For inputs it's slightly more work to do it right, but still not hard. IMO the best way is to get a Brook board, around $50, and then wire it up to a JST connector. We can help you with the schematic if you need it. Then you can simply plug the PC into the Brook over USB, and the Brook into the existing wiring harness on your Vewlix with the JST. No hacking, everything stock, can use the Vewlix for everything you could previously.
Great to know, thanks for the info

Look I don't want to post here anymore, but this info just isn't true.
Assuming the cab is complete (ie has the JVS IO in the control panel) you want the JVSPAC2 from @invzim .

Its not that what you said wouldn't work, but you said "best way" wrong sir. ;)
Ke8eXPA.jpg

@VenomXL won't lie, I'm disappointed you didn't take my word for it.
I only PM'd you this exact information 48 hours before you even asked the question (welcome to why I don't even bother anymore).
Interesting, thanks for the updated info

Look I don't want to post here anymore, but this info just isn't true.
Then don't post here, nobody is making you.

Your solution costs twice as much, before taking into account the international shipping, and doesn't allow you to plug in consoles like a PS4, which the Brook does. That's been handy on occasion for me. I'll continue to prefer my way, which requires only a simple connector swap to return the cab to stock and has world class input lag.

Then don't post here, nobody is making you.
Dude when I'm wrong (and yea it happens with some regularity) I don't try to claim I'm not.
Guy said specifically PC... NOT PS4... And NO we are NOT talking about price as he didn't ask about the most cost effective solution either.

Even when I'm right "you guys" refuse to even give me that much, and still insist on arguing with me at every turn.
I just don't understand it, I don't care that I'm not well received or even popular, its got nothing to do with my above statement.

You honestly think "best" is instructing someone new to the hobby to wire something up?
That by your own admission he might need the schematics for?
Preference is fine, that's personal and you are entitled to your feelings, best is something else entirely in this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your solution costs twice as much, before taking into account the international shipping, and doesn't allow you to plug in consoles like a PS4, which the Brook does.
The Brook boards look great, I have no idea how they manage to do PS4/360 etc without getting their pants sued off them.
With the JVS-PAC 2, you get two players from a single JVS-PAC so you only need to get one, but it doesn't to consoles. I'm pretty happy with my shipping option, about 20 USD to the US, and it's pretty fast.

With the JVS-PAC 2, you get two players from a single JVS-PAC
Don't forget to mention that by default the input is mapped for MAME standard (so you don't need to edit per game keys, or even global keys, its truly P'nP to the PC/MAME and cab/JVS).
I do wish you'd add a gamepad mode for Steam however, but that is another topic for another thread I'll try to resist posting in. ;)

As I mentioned in my breakdown earlier. Further explained, I agree. While it may cost more. If you are looking for an easy plug n play PC solution JVSPAC2 is the way to go. @jassin000 has mentioned why and I use them in every Vewlix setup for folks that run a PC and real hardware as its plug n play. While MAME Standard you can do a custom keymap also depending on your needs.

If you want to go Brook and its a real Vewlix. either make a harness that plugs right into the factory CP Harnesses or buy one. Several ppl make them. It's cleaner and if you want to use real hardware or anything that requires a JVS or Fast I/O, its plug n play.

Brook and Chewlix. Wire as you see fit for your project goals. Most that are buying Chewlix are for not just the cost but the fact its really an empty shell and just basic wired for "Chamma" anyway.

This is definitely a weird situation to be in. Don't really want to butt-in in any major way, but I do think it's worth noting that both options could technically be ideal for our friend OP here, and it's probably good that they're aware of both! :)

If they want to look into making/recreating a "genuine" SFV setup, or at least as close to genuine as you can get without the required network, then kudos to them- sounds like a neat project if that's something they REALLY WANNA DO for personal reasons. As pointed out earlier, without a genuine viewlix, as well as signing up to be pretty much eternally behind in terms of content, it'll never be the "arcade accuracy is a must" that they may have hoped for...but since the chewlix is paid for and locked in, it's got guaranteed quirks from here on out already no matter how this ends up. If TA is the route they wanna go down then it is what it is. Not like anyone right now is dying over SFV kits not being "preserved" or anything of the like- the hardware wouldn't exactly be "going to waste," so to speak. Maybe just a nice chunk of "unnecessary" change from OPs wallet, but the hardware choice is theirs to make (though I agree with the majority here that there's (sadly) a more fun game to be played on console/pc compared to TA).

However, even though Venoms the only one that really mentioned the PC option for genuine Viewlix's, the original topic was centered around SFV. If the question is "what's the 'best' option for controls for Street Fighter 5", then that kinda depends on what you're after (to return to OPs original questions). While I would have to agree even from personal experience that PC can be a far more smooth experience for SFV, it's worth noting that there are still many many tournaments that will more than likely continue to use consoles as a general standard whenever offline play kicks back into as full-force as we can manage. While there aren't any HUGE differences in offline play when comparing PS4 vs PC, some players have noted that it does take a round or two to adjust to PS4 when they exclusively play on PC at home. On the other side of the coin: Some top players say the switch between the two isn't that bad, and they perform just as well on either, but some competitive players will just have a preference nonetheless.

All this being said, since OP has mentioned a few times that their circle of friends are very competition-oriented, then it may be in their best interest to be informed of the typical console options, as well as the PC options in the context of SFV. Still, not a HUGE difference between the two in an offline setting (aside from dealing with random people's strange controllers working on your PC in public events, but that's another story :P ), but I think knowing both options for controls is a net positive depending on HOW "competitive" OPs friends are. If they REALLY want to focus on prepping for local tournaments in the future and such, it's good to know your console options imo. If you're only concerned about a smooth offline experience and they only maybe play online ranked or enter online events/tournaments anyways, where the possibility of offline console play will never be a factor, then sticking with the PC route/options is also fine. If they're comfortable switching between playing offline/online on PC and PS4s and they don't have a preference either way, then at least you know all of the different options available to you and you can budget accordingly.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tl;dr -

Going back to OPs wants: Considering there's some kinda weird misinformation here as far as "my friends are very competitive", and "Arcade SFV is a MUST for them"...I would side with some of Aurichs sentiments from earlier and say that OP should just ask their friends before buying any more hardware: "If I made a "competitive" setup for what you guys prefer, should I pay for PC, console, or shell out for the arcade version (even with its faults)?"

Their idea of "a competitive setting" for SFV may not be my idea of "Prepping for offline CPT/Combo Breaker/locals" kinda competitive, and just "I want to beat my friends at home- how do you throw a fireball again?" kinda competitive :P if you catch my drift

Hats off for wanting to support your circle of players regardless of their preferences- good luck on the build however it ends up :) cabs are always better shared

also, how on EARTH have you never heard of Yahoo Auctions before now?? My wallet WISHES I didn't know what YAJ is :P

You honestly think "best" is instructing someone new to the hobby to wire something up?
Yes. If you own an arcade cabinet it's not unreasonable to understand how harnesses work, that's a very basic part of their functionality.

Around here it's not only not a big deal, there are people who will happily make the harness and sell it to you if pinning one is really that intimidating. Learning how to pin a connector is a great skill to have though, I recommend it.

My Vewlix cabs are both Brook wired, and work awesome with my PC.

With the JVS-PAC 2, you get two players from a single JVS-PAC so you only need to get one
That is however an excellent point, and does even out the costs quite a bit for two cabs or two player panels. For me the extra flexibility of the Brook boards being able to support consoles is really nice. I could plug in my PS4 for the Guilty Gear Strive beta this weekend for instance.

But that's a personal call that people will have to make themselves as to whether or not it's a value add or not.

That is however an excellent point, and does even out the costs quite a bit for two cabs or two player panels. For me the extra flexibility of the Brook boards being able to support consoles is really nice. I could plug in my PS4 for the Guilty Gear Strive beta this weekend for instance.

But that's a personal call that people will have to make themselves as to whether or not it's a value add or not.
At least folks have options and can decide. I think most of the feedback in the thread agrees that when it comes to an original Vewlix. There is no reason to toss/sell or hack factory wiring when there are plenty of plug n play solutions out there. Whether DIY or via sales. There is really no reason to cut corners.

On my Chewlix I went the Brook UFB route, and added Undamned USB decoders to the mix so that if someone wanted to use a controller or their own fightstick, they could. My use case was PC (steam mostly...not mame) first, then console, then jamma or jvs. I mostly play fighting games and PC is technically the best platform now. Most games support x-input controller support and as such seem to default to display xbox input style/coloring and having x-input on the Brook UFB makes that easy. Half the time keyboard inputs don't get shown the way you'd like them so it just always seemed easier to use a controller. Just like @Aurich said, I'm glad the Brook boards are in there so I can play GG Strive this weekend on PS4.

On the cab itself, I wanted to retain the option to have a swap out input methods, but I hated the ATX style connector the Chewlix used so I removed the Chewlix wiring and made my own wire harness using TE AMP UP connectors with the Sega pinout. If I had a legit Vewlix I would have made a JST harness adapter instead, but the AMP connectors were in stock at digikey with all the other junk I was ordering, so it was just easier. Technically speaking, all you really need is to order a pre-made wire harnesses that connects the stick and buttons to the 20pin connector on the Brook boards just like if you were building a fightstick.

So that's a +1 from me on just doing the harness + brook board. No need to go all out with the UFB, although that seems to be the only existing brook board that's going to get PS5 support right now. Guess they'll need new boards for PS5 natively.

At least folks have options and can decide.
Wild, right? It's almost like ... there are multiple good ways to do things! :D

We're lucky to have people like invzim making cool products, and you should absolutely consider supporting their work. I just have a method I already like that has some other upsides for me, and works very well in general. This is all our personal opinions, but I even wrote "IMO" on mine, take it for what it's worth.

There is no reason to toss/sell or hack factory wiring when there are plenty of plug n play solutions out there. Whether DIY or via sales. There is really no reason to cut corners.
Big agree with this. Please don't hack up your original wiring harness. You might want to sell it some day. You might get the itch to put a TTX multi in for giggles. Or some JVS system or whatever else. Your wiring harness is an asset!

It's very easy to tap into the existing wiring for custom work. We have a dead easy plug and play solution suggested already, and I really can't emphasize enough that anyone here shouldn't ever be scared about pinning a JST connector. It's very easy, and you'll feel like a boss after making your own clean harness for something.

Only thing I'd warn is you might start giving the side eye to some of your old nasty looking harnesses once you know how to make new ones ...

No need to go all out with the UFB, although that seems to be the only existing brook board that's going to get PS5 support right now. Guess they'll need new boards for PS5 natively.
Good point. I've been kinda ignoring PS5 for now, because like you I'm fighting game focused and it's not a must have system for that yet. And hopefully never will be honestly, only in that I really hope there isn't a game exclusive for it that I want that isn't on PC. PC is my fighting game system of choice for sure.

There is a lot of convenience to just tossing a console into a Vewlix for an "instant system" though. I did that with a PS4 when I first got my Vewlixes, while I was gathering parts to build a PC. (Another advantage to my Brook setup for me, personally, the PS4 support covered me for a few weeks.)

I'll tell you the main reason I couldn't build the PC fast enough: the PS4 load times are just soooooo slllooooowww. Not just to load a new game, but even loading new matches. The extra 10-15 seconds every time would just grind on me. It doesn't sound like much, but every single match? It gets old fast when you're used to PC loading times.

That's one thing the PS5 has going, fast loading. So maybe at some point it will be a great little fighting game box. By then the controller issues should be sorted, but @borked has a great point about the support right now being iffy.

I personnaly love modding and customizing my gaming and arcade stuff. So why is the hate about Pimping a Chewlix?

Used beat-up Vewlixes are way more expensive than a brand new Chewlix. Not to mention that they are almost impossible to get here in Canada.

So upgrading a cheap chinese clone is a good project ! Love it !

Good luck with your project!

I thought I'd add my two cents to this thread as I've pretty much gone down the route of what you're wanting to do - albeit I went for the last iteration of the game (with updated art for the current) :D

84XNMNel.jpg

Mine has been almost a 4 year journey back in October 2017. This was a period when there wasn't really much information on the Chewlix and not many people had them as much as they do now.

The Chewlix might seem like the cheap option to begin with, but once all the costs are added up to get working the same as an original, you end up pretty close to the price of an original cab. That said, the initial outlay for an original cab is MUCH more than the initial outlay of a Chewlix (maybe not an L vs a chewlix, but for a diamond orange vs a chewlix orange) and I bought parts over those four years to offset that initial cost.

Mine originally started off as a console exclusive cab, but just within the last year, I've turned it into a fully functional JVS/FASTIO compatible cab after procuring parts relatively cheap from YAJ. I rewired everything to make them work with the Taito G harness which I also made myself (but again, parts for this aren't cheap and add up). Made a different harness to make it sega JVS I/O compatible and lastly I made the brook UFB have JST connectors so it's all pretty seamless - all I need to do is unplug to change to the correct connector. Whilst very time consuming to rewire two sets of cabs, it was also part of the "journey" :)

For me the ultimate goal was always to own an arcade version of "SF4" and I've now got that running on a TTX3 (technically still not 100% original as it ran on TTX2) but it's running on "original" hardware. With the newer games, it only makes sense for me to have a console on it due to the constant updates.

Would I go through it all again? Absolutely! Reason being is to get a Vewlix C here in AU, I would either have to get it directly from Japan or order from KC/Gamesaru et al and have it shipped over to AU. The price to do all that would be astronomical and really not financially feasible for me.

Does my "arcade experience" get diminished playing on a Chewlix versus a Vewlix? I don't think so, I'm still sitting on a 48cm stool.. I'm still hitting the buttons on an original vewlix c panel (and from what I've read, Raf's panels are just as good), the cab and frame, viewing distance/angle are all relatively close to each other (I've never seen a Vewlix IRL but I've been told by people that own both, the main difference is the thickness of the metal but everything else is relatively the same), I've still got my Nesicaxlive card reader changing colours when the game is loaded (no card unfortunately), I still load a token in to gain a credit and I'm still crap at playing games :D. My experience, my family and friends' experience is still getting the same "arcade" feel.

Ultimately, we do what we do for the love of the arcade experience and the joy of playing the game. It's always nice to play on things the way the game was designed for, but in most cases, all those experiences come at a significant cost that may or may not be worth for a particular individual. For me, it's not worth having an original vewlix here in AU. If I was in the US and have access to the KC's and the Gamesaru's it might be a different story.

Good luck to the OP with the journey. I look forward to you build posts as parts come.

I personnaly love modding and customizing my gaming and arcade stuff. So why is the hate about Pimping a Chewlix?

Used beat-up Vewlixes are way more expensive than a brand new Chewlix. Not to mention that they are almost impossible to get here in Canada.

So upgrading a cheap chinese clone is a good project ! Love it !

Good luck with your project!
Thank you :)

I thought I'd add my two cents to this thread as I've pretty much gone down the route of what you're wanting to do - albeit I went for the last iteration of the game (with updated art for the current) :D

84XNMNel.jpg

Mine has been almost a 4 year journey back in October 2017. This was a period when there wasn't really much information on the Chewlix and not many people had them as much as they do now.

The Chewlix might seem like the cheap option to begin with, but once all the costs are added up to get working the same as an original, you end up pretty close to the price of an original cab. That said, the initial outlay for an original cab is MUCH more than the initial outlay of a Chewlix (maybe not an L vs a chewlix, but for a diamond orange vs a chewlix orange) and I bought parts over those four years to offset that initial cost.

Mine originally started off as a console exclusive cab, but just within the last year, I've turned it into a fully functional JVS/FASTIO compatible cab after procuring parts relatively cheap from YAJ. I rewired everything to make them work with the Taito G harness which I also made myself (but again, parts for this aren't cheap and add up). Made a different harness to make it sega JVS I/O compatible and lastly I made the brook UFB have JST connectors so it's all pretty seamless - all I need to do is unplug to change to the correct connector. Whilst very time consuming to rewire two sets of cabs, it was also part of the "journey" :)

For me the ultimate goal was always to own an arcade version of "SF4" and I've now got that running on a TTX3 (technically still not 100% original as it ran on TTX2) but it's running on "original" hardware. With the newer games, it only makes sense for me to have a console on it due to the constant updates.

Would I go through it all again? Absolutely! Reason being is to get a Vewlix C here in AU, I would either have to get it directly from Japan or order from KC/Gamesaru et al and have it shipped over to AU. The price to do all that would be astronomical and really not financially feasible for me.

Does my "arcade experience" get diminished playing on a Chewlix versus a Vewlix? I don't think so, I'm still sitting on a 48cm stool.. I'm still hitting the buttons on an original vewlix c panel (and from what I've read, Raf's panels are just as good), the cab and frame, viewing distance/angle are all relatively close to each other (I've never seen a Vewlix IRL but I've been told by people that own both, the main difference is the thickness of the metal but everything else is relatively the same), I've still got my Nesicaxlive card reader changing colours when the game is loaded (no card unfortunately), I still load a token in to gain a credit and I'm still crap at playing games :D. My experience, my family and friends' experience is still getting the same "arcade" feel.

Ultimately, we do what we do for the love of the arcade experience and the joy of playing the game. It's always nice to play on things the way the game was designed for, but in most cases, all those experiences come at a significant cost that may or may not be worth for a particular individual. For me, it's not worth having an original vewlix here in AU. If I was in the US and have access to the KC's and the Gamesaru's it might be a different story.

Good luck to the OP with the journey. I look forward to you build posts as parts come.
Ya man, I feel exactly what you're saying. I am excited to create this cabinet and thanks for the encouragement. I am taking a lot of information that was provided from the above posts and exploring options. I like your cabinets. They look great! I will update once I begin to get more parts and updates...

Ya man, I feel exactly what you're saying. I am excited to create this cabinet and thanks for the encouragement. I am taking a lot of information that was provided from the above posts and exploring options. I like your cabinets. They look great! I will update once I begin to get more parts and updates...

The other piece of advice I can provide is, you may want to 100% triple check that TTX4 with SFV will work if it's not connected to a network. Yes, I'm aware there are versions on the TTX3, but triple check that by purchasing a TTX4 with a USB IO not on an Arcade Op network in Japan, that you can use it "offline"

The other piece of advice I can provide is, you may want to 100% triple check that TTX4 with SFV will work if it's not connected to a network. Yes, I'm aware there are versions on the TTX3, but triple check that by purchasing a TTX4 with a USB IO not on an Arcade Op network in Japan, that you can use it "offline"
Ahhh, good to know. I will wait until I get the chewlix and remaining pieces and research in the meantime. The Chewlix will probably arrive sometime in August, so I have some time. Thank you for your advise :)

UPDATE on the SFV:TA build: More stuff just came in: 1) Vewlix/Chewlix replacement upper panel to match control panel hexagon pattern done by Rafael Tamanini on Facebook.

Also, 2) Acrylic Topper for vewlix/chelix from Erik Goetheer on Facebook. Erik has stopped producing them as this was his last run, apparently.

Attachments

• 20210712_201307_resized.jpg
    20210712_201307_resized.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 20210713_154210_resized.jpg
    20210713_154210_resized.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 134
Back