What's new
I will take 3. Tired of glitches in demul.

Attachments

• IMG_20200514_145714563.jpg
    IMG_20200514_145714563.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 54
Count me in for one. Just ordered a pi setup and I’m currently looking for a net dimm. Just got my first naomi running in my blast, cool system.

Why I want a naomi cartridge multi

what netdimm do you have? The one with just the network port or the one with the network port and scsi and whatever the other port is.

I can answer this one.

If you have a network port then you have a netdimm.

If you don't have a network port then you just have a dimm which is not usable for net-booting.

:D

Yeah I’m just saying there are multiple versions of netdimm and I’m not 100% sure they always act the same, maybe they do.

Yeah I’m just saying there are multiple versions of netdimm and I’m not 100% sure they always act the same, maybe they do.
The netdimm is the same, although they can have different Bios versions and different amounts of ram.

The best thing to do is get a working netdimm and update the bios to the latest version and add more ram if needed. Relatively simple and cheap. But I agree, there needs to be a better solution.

I think a Naomi multicart would be a massive hit based on all of the kickass games on it...

Naomi Netbooting Games List

:D

Also, Naomi+Cart can be driven from Capcom IO.
Naomi+Netdimm can not :(

... so please make it as power hungry as a cart...
for longevity reasons I really suggest you use a separate power supply anyway. Naomi's are total power supply killers especially if you're running a blast. Over time they will kill it. Sun PSU or ATX power supply and jasens converter.
Any proof of this? Most Sega Naomi cabs are still going strong on their OEM Sun PSU...

Age and dried out caps kill PSU’s, not game systems.

Sounds like hogwash to me. Naomis are super power efficient. 15W with a cart, a few watts more with a Netdimm. Blast PSU outputs 3.3V, so you don't even have to use a converter.

The only real power related problem you can run into with the Naomi is when you try to power a Netdimm setup with a Capcom IO. Netdimm uses way more 3.3V than a standard cart and the DC-to-DC converter on the Capcom IO is too low power for this.

Sounds like hogwash to me. Naomis are super power efficient. 15W with a cart, a few watts more with a Netdimm. Blast PSU outputs 3.3V, so you don't even have to use a converter.

The only real power related problem you can run into with the Naomi is when you try to power a Netdimm setup with a Capcom IO. Netdimm uses way more 3.3V than a standard cart and the DC-to-DC converter on the Capcom IO is too low power for this.
^That^
As long as you recap and clean out your Blast psu, they should really last/be fine. Unless something fails of course, and in electronics thats always a possibility at any moment on a products life whether new or used.

Also, Naomi+Cart can be driven from Capcom IO.
Naomi+Netdimm can not :(

... so please make it as power hungry as a cart...
for longevity reasons I really suggest you use a separate power supply anyway. Naomi's are total power supply killers especially if you're running a blast. Over time they will kill it. Sun PSU or ATX power supply and jasens converter.
Any proof of this? Most Sega Naomi cabs are still going strong on their OEM Sun PSU...
Age and dried out caps kill PSU’s, not game systems.
Naomi cabs have a very different psu than the blast. Naomi cab PSU is the one you should use. Sun PSU it definitely optimal.

How are you running Naomi on a blast without a Capcom io? Most blasts dont have Sega JVS.

My blast psu definitely needs a recap but it's the only system my friends and I have noticed significantly lowers the power output of our power supplies after extended use. If that's capcom.io and not the Naomi that possible but its not possible to play Naomi on most blasts without it. Especially if using a netdimm or gd rom drive, the blast psu cannot handle it and trying it without them has left our power supplies outputting less power than bbeforehand. A separate power supply- sun PSU for the Naomi helps a lot and powering the pi separately helps as well.

I also watch an ATX power supply get totally destroyed by a Naomi netdimm set up when using one of jasens converters. The whole set up is a big power hog. The Naomi and all that stuff was fine but the ATX power supply was toast.

How are you running Naomi on a blast without a Capcom io? Most blasts dont have Sega JVS.
Sega sold an official JVS kit for the Blast that used the Sega JVS JAMMA IO. that seems like it's probably the best option since it's the one Sega built for running NAOMI games in a Blast.

Sega sold an official JVS kit for the Blast that used the Sega JVS JAMMA IO. that seems like it's probably the best option since it's the one Sega built for running NAOMI games in a Blast.
Not a question of possibility but practicality. Most people are using a capcom io, it's the most common and popular way people play Naomi in Jamma cabs.

Especially if using a netdimm or gd rom drive, the blast psu cannot handle it
Not true. The Blast PSU is the most powerful PSU Sega put in any of their upright cabs (+3.3V 12A, +5V 12A, +12V 2A). It's more powerful than a standard 400-5397(-01) SUN PSU.

I also watch an ATX power supply get totally destroyed by a Naomi netdimm set up when using one of jasens converters.
It doesn't get 'destroyed'. ATX power supplies are for PCs, they're not meant for arcade boards. It's like putting an engine meant for a car on a scooter. Does an ATX PSU even have a sense line on the 3.3V rail?

Anyway, you can still use your Capcom IO. However, for powering the Naomi, use the extended harness with JVS power plugs.

1. Many people use ATX power supplies to power Naomi there's a very common adapter for it.

2. I'd love it if you re capped the PSU on my blast that would be very cool of you

3. These are old PSUs and if you check the power they actually out put there's a tremendous amount of variation. From what I've seen powering a Naomi on it makes that variation even worse. I've never had any kind of problem powering cps3, mvs, or any other board with it except Naomi which it can run just fine as long as it cart only. As buffi pointed out it requires much less power. My PSU and many of my friends with blasts cannot power a full net dimm set up and I wouldn't recommend trying it. I run a separate power supply for the Naomi and it works great.

That fluctuation you mean is definitely caused by old/aged caps. Replace those and I’m 99% certain the PSU is rock solid again ;)

Back