What's new

numbski

Student
Reaction score
I have a big blue dynamo and have had the idea of finding someone unloading an older widescreen display, and install that where the marquee would normally be. Then if I could detect which ROM is resident, display the correct marquee image, and maybe even somehow handle button mapping, or at least fire LEDs mounted in the buttons to show which buttons are used for that game. Not incredibly important - but it leaves me curious as to whether this is possible.

As it stands I've wondered also about extending the cable run for the LCD/game select mechanism, but I'm really hesitant to screw with this thing too much without guidance.

Thoughts?

I'd think that you'd have to tap into the game selector to detect what rom is playing to switch the marquee display. Then I'd think you'd use something like a Raspberry Pi to drive the marquee display? Would be very cool to see if you could pull it off. You'd have the envy of Big Blue's from all fellow owners. Lots of guys in the HyperSpin world do this with HyperMarquee and it is awesome to see.

As for the default ribbon cable, lots of CPS2 multi owners just buy longer ones. They sell at Fry's as just a bare cable and you can buy the terminators separately for less than ten bucks. Probably can be sourced online for less. Don't know the specs on the cable, but someone else here can chime in on that.

Was kinda hoping there might be something like JTAG points, TTL serial or something that I could read the data without resorting to kludges like trying to "read" the state of the segmented display. You're right, I planned on using a raspberry pi to both drive the marquee display and any logic required. That also opens up the possibility of driving LEDs and button mappings, although my electronics skills are *terrible*. I feel like I need a whole ton of relays to get the job done, but that can't be right. Surely there are programmable chips that can flip around button mappings for me on a signal...

As for the ribbon cable, if I can find the pieces then I will make a long, rolled cable I can run outside.

Back