What's new

KeeseMan

Beginner
Reaction score
Are there any downsides to interrupting currents between the PSU and a PCB, say using a set of relays, or plain old switches? I mean the 5V and 12V lines. Does it make any difference to the game? I'm an electronics noob so... :)

obcd

Professional
Reaction score
Hard to say as it depends upon the quality of your supply. I the load on some of the voltage rails suddenly drops to zero (by disconnecting a game board), the voltage could jump up a little for a fraction of a second. If you connect another gameboard, it might get a higher voltage than it expects. So basically, the correct procedure guranteed to work without issues would be switch supply off, wait a couple of seconds, switch gameboards with a relais or mosfet or something similar and turn on the supply again. A good power supply should be able to soft start under load and reach it's expected output voltage pretty fast without overshoot.

KeeseMan

Beginner
Reaction score
I see.
Well I wasn't thinking about switching between multiple boards, but rather things like having the option to control on/off/reset via a microcontroller + relay. I only (dis)connect game boards with all power off.
Anyway, thank you!