What's new
Shipped out all the standard versions! and The Deluxe Sync Clean Pro is tested and ready to ship too

DSCP 2 small.jpg

I need to make some for myself now :O The add-on board is being worked on, but there's a number of improvements I'd like to do with the existing info.

Also, after more research I see the PFX is really not a good test monitor for these sync boards. It is actually wayyyy out of spec (according to the manual) needing weird sync rates like 6uS on H sync pulses.

However, I will continue to develop this add-on board as a adjustable more universal PCB for people out there with very picky monitors like the PFX. It's taking time but I'm picking away at it.

Stay tuned for more updates later! You can also follow updates on my website here.

Last edited:
PFX test for web small.jpg

Getting closer to taking readings. Finished the proto build, almost finished building a test console setup, waiting for some oscope stuff in the mail!

Does anyone want to help the project by sending me finicky arcade boards? I hear Toaplan and F3 stuff is the main culprit. I'm in USA. I would just need to borrow some PCBs to test for a few weeks. PM me if you have one and are interested in helping!

Also, if you have a moment, take the poll here I made to let me know how far I should go down the rabbit hole of design :)
(I couldn't figure out how to make a poll on this site, sorry!)

Last edited:
Regarding PFX, it wants CSYNC on some titles when being fed via the VGA connector, especially when HSYNC is absent during VSYNC - which is partly the reason the https://irkenlabs.com/jammafier/tri-sync-helper ;) has a HV/C sync switch.
Thanks, this is helpful to know.

I'm just trying to focus on making the Martin Jones / Viletim PCB with some upgrades and improvements since it is known to work with the PFX.

One of the things working against me is that I don't have access to a PFX for testing. It also sounds finicky and operates out of spec - these give me some pause for concern.

I've been working my tail off on this design, though feeling like I might have to shelve it for a while if there isn't much interest. I have a couple other projects to finish and customer orders to support, and this is a pretty niche add-on PCB.

I've been doing a lot of testing this week, and the results were quite promising. The Sync Clean Pro and the add-on (Sync Tweaker? trying to come up with a name) complement each other very well.

The SCP V2.0 does a great job of normalizing the duty cycle and bringing the sync signal into something closer to broadcast standard, while the Sync Tweaker (working name) gives the end-user full adjustable control over the pulse lengths.

So far, I was able to fix the H sync with the SCP V2.0 and the V sync length with the Sync Tweaker for the Genesis, which was pretty sweet! The LS221 does a great job of re-creating the pulses with minimal propagation delay. The only thing it can't really fix is the pre-and post-equalizing sync pulses. I think you would need a full DSP for that.

I have one more bug to fix before I can start redesigning the board for the next prototype. Here are some pics:

Sync Tweak web.jpg

Sync Tweak 3 web.jpg

Sync Tweak 4.jpg

@Segasonicfan Put me down for the deluxe with the martin jones addon board This is great.
Awesome, thanks for your support!:)

I had the put the R&D on hold for a short while since I need to finish a couple other jobs and I'm gonna be busy with my Virtual Ribbon for a bit. Making great progress though. When I get a little closer to the final build I'll start taking orders for the SCP Deluxe and the (yet to be named officially) add-on board.

no worries im in no hurry. I have a splatterhouse convert that doesnt work on my monitor with a retroscaller a1 because its 31hz or the 2930 but works on my ms9 just fine. I also have a pfx so itll work for both instances. so i well probably need 2.

just checking in if this is still going to happen
Yep, the project is going to be completed. It's just been delayed. I have to focus on completing the Virtual Ribbon pre-orders and some other things for a bit.
I'm also waiting on someone to send test PCBs, if anyone wants to help with that lmk- I need some games that put out funky sync to clean.

I appreciate the follow up and I'll post updates here as they come :)

ok cool. I had to search for this thread i couldnt remember the name. =) thanks for the response.

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that I haven't forgotten about this project. I still have a box on my desk with all the necessary tools, and I'm upgrading my bench to help take better oscilloscope readings.

My time has been preoccupied with customer orders and things I have to do to pay the bills, so this has had to be on the back burner for a while. I will get to it eventually though, it may not be till later in the year.

While this is an important project for the community, it's one I'm likely to lose money on (because of all the R&D gets involved) but I still want to do it.

If anyone wants a refund at any point, I'm happy to provide that (as always!)

Happy new year everyone :)

-SSF

Hey everyone,
Hi @Segasonicfan thanks for all your work on this and your other projects for the community. People like you make this such a great space !

I have a Ironman Ivan Stewart arcade PCB which outputs RGBHV at 16.8khz, not 15.7 :| Would your PCB help to clean up that sync ? The OSSC will catch sync, but the image is shifted to the side a bit. I would ideally like to connect it to my Astro city with NNC Toshiba monitor on it - eg no OSSC, just analogue all the way.

On that note, the Sega NNC Toshiba is quite tricky to sync random things to, including game consoles (even when trying to use RGBs->RGBHV or other sync 'modifiers' - perhaps your PCB would help. Does it allow 15 & 31khz sync ?

thanks again, great work !!

Hi
Great interesting project !

Did you plan to propose it with HAS video input RGBS and output RGBS pinout and connector ?

I use pacogun of @pacoarcade at this time which is for me the best for sure supergun I’ve ever seen ! and I usually have some troubles with Midway MK sync / frame rate after supergun !

Have tried all supergun I can without any more results (also tried scaler DVDO VP50, RetroTINK 2X SCART but perhaps I don’t have correct settings) : picture scramble on upper parts of the screen for 5cm only ! (and work directly on scart TV input on some TV) Seems that midway sync/frame rate are very incompatible with many TV LCD..

Last edited:
Hi @Segasonicfan thanks for all your work on this and your other projects for the community. People like you make this such a great space !

I have a Ironman Ivan Stewart arcade PCB which outputs RGBHV at 16.8khz, not 15.7 :| Would your PCB help to clean up that sync ? The OSSC will catch sync, but the image is shifted to the side a bit. I would ideally like to connect it to my Astro city with NNC Toshiba monitor on it - eg no OSSC, just analogue all the way.

On that note, the Sega NNC Toshiba is quite tricky to sync random things to, including game consoles (even when trying to use RGBs->RGBHV or other sync 'modifiers' - perhaps your PCB would help. Does it allow 15 & 31khz sync ?

thanks again, great work !!

Unfortunately I cant guarantee results with any particular PCBs or equipment, although it should fix H sync issues like that.
To be 100% sure it's really going to be up to:

a) what people send me the test with and
b) the first adopters that order from me

It does allow for 15khz and 31 kHz sync and is designed to fix buggy off-freq issues as you described.

Did you plan to propose it with HAS video input RGBS and output RGBS pinout and connector ?
I don't have any plans to add custom connectors like this, but I'm open to anything the community wants, as long as there's enough interest to make it financially sensible.
If you want this connector added or something else, the best way to go about it is to find some other people that would be interested in pre-ordering for it.

The benefit of this thread is that I can gauge interest and see which features are most wanted. However, I'm trying to keep this simple as possible, especially given my current workload. I only added VGA plug compatibility because there was a great deal of interest for this, and it is the closest thing we have to a standard in the USA.

Having several incompatible boards waiting to play on my PFX, this was a very interesting read. I might be interested :)

Back