What's new

mr. sinister

Beginner
Reaction score
Hey folks. I have owned my MultiMVS for a couple years now, and up until just recently it had been working great in my Omega. I recently upgraded my Omega to Unibios 4.0, and upgraded my MultiMVS firmware and menu from what was on it when I received it (this is my first time updating it) via the links DS provided in this forum. Before upgrading my FW and menu, my MultiMVS was working well with Unibios 4.0. The FW and menu update process seemed to go smoothly. I cleared my backup RAM via the no-cart test screen before updating and followed the DS guide to the T. I also used a brand new SD card, which appears to be working correctly.
The issue I'm now having is games will not boot. I can select my ROMs, write them to the MultiMVS (seemingly) successfully, but when I go to boot a game, my console goes into the test screen like there was no cart installed. I'm also getting a "Hardware Test Failed - Z80 System" screen with no other data. If I press A to resume, I get an "Exception Error Handling - Address Error" screen. I've run diagnostics on the MultiMVS and it seems to come back OK. The Exception screen mentioned dirty contacts can cause issues, so I checked both the cart and my Omega and they appear to be in good shape. If I power down and back on to boot a game from the MultiMVS main screen, I get the same result - it goes to the test screen like there was no cart installed, or it can even get stuck in a Unibios Main Screen loop.
Everything else related to the MultiMVS seems to work as before. My other carts seem to be working correctly, and Unibios is still functioning as it should with them. The issues seems clearly related to the MultiMVS, and again, before updating the FW and menu everything was running fine. Just to be sure it wasn't an SD card issue, I tried my old SD card I had been running before the updates and I have the same issues I'm having now. I even tried rolling my FW and menu back to a previous version and still the same issues.
Have I somehow bricked my MultiMVS? Is there anything I can do here?

Here's the info on my MultiMVS About screen:
FW Rev: 0x0491
FW Build: 0xa512
Top File Build: 0x7d3c
Menu Build Date: Dec 17 2021
Menu Build Time: 10:03:33

Here's the MultiMVS Diagnostics Results:
FPGA Status: Ready
Backup RAM Access: OK
Backup RAM: OK
Filesystem: OK
Filesystem Size: 4MB
Filesystem Read Speed: 44683 B/S
Filesystem Write Speed: 54313 B/S
Menu ROM Checksum: 32462231

Using the Unibios cart checker, I get:
ROM Region: CA3491F5 ??
Rom Bank 0: 956BAC74 ??
ROM Bank 1: 956BAC74 ??
ROM Bank 2: 956BAC74 ??
ROM Bank 3: 956BAC74 ??

Hardware Test Failed - Z80 System screen has no data under ADRS, WR, or RE

Exception Error Handling Screen shows:
Address Error
Address: 00C11622
AC ADRS: 0000000F
R/W: Write
D/A Registers
D0: 00000008 D4: 00C10000
D1: 0000FFFF D5: 0000FFFF
D2: 00001000 :D6: 00000008
D3: 00000001 D7: 0000FFFF
SSP: F74EBFFB
SP: 2700

Last edited:
Screen pics:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I will also occasionally get this on the Unibios Cart Check screen:
6.jpg

Did you clear the system's backup ram after the upgrade? Is the system in MVS or AES mode, and does changing to the other do anything different?

Did you clear the system's backup ram after the upgrade? Is the system in MVS or AES mode, and does changing to the other do anything different?

I have in both the no-cart test screen and the Unibios menu.
I've tried both MVS and AES modes, same result. Forcing AES mode at the Hardware Test Failed screen sends me to the no-cart test screen.

Do you have a regular game to try the board with? I think you're right that the problem is with the cart. Is it possible to roll back the cart update?

That Z80 error doesn't tell much, but it's probably just a normal error when there's a problem with the game, since the MV1C has no SM1 rom.

https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=Z80_ERROR

Yes, my other carts work fine and Unibios operates correctly with them.
I did try rolling both the FW and menu back with the same issues.

I have seen that Z80 error before when using a multicart with a manual dipswitch (the 138-1) when I have the dips set incorrectly.

Developments!
I found that the new copy of Xeno Crisis that I installed on the SD card DOES work. It's the only game that does currently. So I decided to look at the game files to see what may be different between XC and the rest of my game ROMs. As it turns out, the ROM pack I loaded onto the SD card are all in .bin format! Apparently I loaded the wrong ROM pack onto the new SD card, as well as the old SD card I was running after I formatted it to install the update files. I formatted the old card because I was having issues with a couple of games not running properly. As it turned out, the card was dying, hence the new card.
I can't find my original roll up file, so I'm currently downloading it and will load this pack once it's finished. I will report back after.

Yeeeeeaaaahhhh so I'm an idiot. Loaded the correct ROM pack and everything works perfectly.
Thanks Neo-Alec for taking the time to help!

Back