What's new

pzlate

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I have Jackie Chan I converted to Fists of Fire that will sometimes boot loop with a Check G errors or will occasionally error out mid game. I'm revisiting this now since I'd like to bring my board to Evo but not if it's going to be this inconsistent.

Does anyone know what Check G is actually looking for?

What does it say on Check G? I’ve never seen that error on my pcb but I don’t mind poking around in debugger for a little bit to see if I can figure it out.

Got a video or something? I’ve never seen that error on my pcb but I don’t mind poking around in debugger for a little bit to see if I can figure it out.
It does a hardware check at boot, I'll sometimes get an error message to come up with debug stuff when I start a credit, but I'm never ready to take a picture of it when it does haha. I'm not sure if there's just cracked solder from board flexing or if my MAME rom conversion I did was not the correct way to convert it.

It will eventually just pass the hardware check and work fine without me touching the board.

Attachments

• PXL_20220801_022312405.jpg
    PXL_20220801_022312405.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 67
I think G is the security chip afaik. IE that qfp near the dipswitches. Make sure the rom near that chip is good.

I think G is the security chip afaik. IE that qfp near the dipswitches. Make sure the rom near that chip is good.
Looks like if i 'pull' that chip in mame, i.e. fill it with zeroes, I can trigger a G error. j2d1x1.u13

1659324132782.png
1659324229903.png

Good place to start!

Looks like if i 'pull' that chip in mame, i.e. fill it with zeroes, I can trigger a G error. j2d1x1.u13

1659324132782.png
1659324229903.png

Good place to start!
ROM_REGION( 0x020000, "mcudata", 0 ) /* MCU data */
Yeah, it's their version of security, it's the micro controller.

Actually reseating the eprom worked, but also reset itself again. I wonder if the socket itself is just making poor contact with the eprom, at least I know where the problem area is now, thanks!
E: actually after reseating it it's resetting way more weird I may just replace the socket and also swap out that eprom with another.

Last edited:
Well I reprogrammed my U13 with a M27C1001 and it just werks?
For some reason there was an M27C2001 in there, probably what came on the game originally, I doubt I doubled up the bin when programming it.

I've still had it error when starting a credit once but it boots every time now, that's good enough or me. I'll see how it goes at EVO.

Last edited:
Back