What's new

rememberizer

Student
Reaction score
I got these boards that look like bootlegs, and when I tested them, I found that they were running the SNES Version of Super SF2: The New Challengers! Curiously, it does respond to coins and ends the game when I die, just like the arcade. The ROM must have been hacked for this. Has anyone seen boards like these?

I have two, and I'd love to be able to try and convert these to some sweet SNES-exclusive games like Sailormoon S or Gundam Wing Endless Duel!

Last edited:
Hi, you can't convert them unless you have a scrap one to take the address scrambling actel and a GAL.
Also there is 2 different types. The long and short boards. The actels don't move between long and short.

I have a scrap endless duel short board with good actel / roms, it's actually the most common.
HOWEVER there will a bunch more dead ones arriving sometime and i need a known good kit for testing.

Hi, you can't convert them unless you have a scrap one to take the address scrambling actel and a GAL.
Also there is 2 different types. The long and short boards. The actels don't move between long and short.

I have a scrap endless duel short board with good actel / roms, it's actually the most common.
HOWEVER there will a bunch more dead ones arriving sometime and i need a known good kit for testing.
oh COOL! so you can just dump the roms on those and i might be able to burn them on these eproms? I don't see any actels on my board though, I have a Lattice chip on mine.

Keep dreaming haha
The lattice is basically the same thing as the actel.
It is the security so you CAN'T rom swap them.

I got one of those in a lot, had Fatal Fury ROMs. It could run any simple rom based SNES game, might even have been able to run cartridges with some hacking. Got rid of it since I don't collect bootlegs.
Let me see if I still have a picture of it.

[EDIT]
Found 2 scripts to descramble/rescramble data in order to swap game.
Actually it shouldn't be too complicated to mod the board to accept unmodified ROMs.

You could try Fatal Fury Special and see if it works on your board:
http://www.filedropper.com/ffs

Last edited by a moderator:
I got one of those in a lot, had Fatal Fury ROMs. It could run any simple rom based SNES game, might even have been able to run cartridges with some hacking. Got rid of it since I don't collect bootlegs.
Let me see if I still have a picture of it.
If you had dumped it you would find the ROM is scrambled and missing the boot vectors (provided by the CPLD)

This is true love for arcade hardware... I can't stand those conversions! :)

They are good fun but they have big flaws.

The sega bootleg chipset acts like this with the newer games, seems the clone consoles today still got the problem haha:
https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=9876.0

I passed the Fatal fury roms along hopefully it will be added to mame with the other snes bootlegs.

The fatal fury rom is only scrambled and does not contain the patches.

Also it's clearly not on the "long" or "short" board so must be an early bootleg / one of the first.
Hope you can find the board pic, or better yet a video of the PCB running.
I don't think an actel alone could provide all those patches (dipswitches etc)

The fatal fury rom is only scrambled and does not contain the patches.

Also it's clearly not on the "long" or "short" board so must be an early bootleg / one of the first.
Hope you can find the board pic, or better yet a video of the PCB running.
I don't think an actel alone could provide all those patches (dipswitches etc)
I thought it would be harder to find but, here it is:

IMG-20170326-WA0016.jpg

I have no video of it running, it's a bootleg, it belongs to the trash bin. :evil:

Indeed, this is a very early one, and there is 4 rom dumps missing in the .zip.
This will be the "extra code" that's missing.

It also has the rom board and protection chip not normally on them.
Normally they are single layer jobs. This is a very early effort and the first i have seen in this style.

I have no video of it running, it's a bootleg, it belongs to the trash bin.
Including the "modern romboard" devices are no different in reality? :p
The time that goes into designs those trash boards gets the respect from me ;)

I mean, bless them, they bothered protecting them a LOT - amazing for bottom of the barrel in it's time PCB.

Back