What's new
Can't wait hope you don't take my post bump as me being impatient. And thank you for the explanation.

Fantastic thread ,these look great !

These are awesome and would be a nice addition to my cab's.

End of year bump for Bub.
Bub and others will finally be delivered in short order. Sorry about the delays for anybody that's interested in downloading and printing one or more for their cabs.

The good news is that I've just about finished up the very complex Try Amusement Tower art reproduction and also found some other custom game center move strips to repro (including ones found in a few Taito Stations around Japan).

Definitely glad to find others are also interested in these.

This project has expanded beyond my initial expectations and I really want to get as many of these custom designs preserved--especially given that so many game centers are closing every week in Japan of late.

The bad news is that it has taken me a lot longer to redraw the artwork and text for each strip (and marquee) than I had anticipated and I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to such things. The good news is that I can't wait to make the high-res files available to all of you guys here (for free of course) along with some guidance to have them properly printed so that they match the originals as closely as possible. The other good news is that I've now stumbled across other custom game center designs that I never knew existed.

My plan is to upload a different game center strip/marquee every week as I get them wrapped up...starting with Hey's Bub strip along with their "rainy day free play" sign (which includes Nico from Spica Adventure). Again, I'll have different file versions properly sized to fit whatever cab you want to use them with. Each post will also summarize some of the information I've been able to uncover about the game center's use of the particular custom design--e.g., what type of cab they're generally installed on, how long they've been used, etc. I'll also include a bunch of reference images of the original strips/marquees, which I've spent a ton of time searching for.

There is one thing I hope you guys can help me with as I wrap up the project. If possible, please confirm the move strip dimensions I've listed below. I want each strip to properly fit the available space on each cab and would like to perfectly match the dimensions of the "standard" OG instruction space filler (for those cabs that had/have one). Because I don't have original versions of all the instruction space fillers, please confirm that these dimensions are accurate:

VEWLIX = 665mm x 85mm
EGRET II, 3, & AWSD = 535mm x 85mm
ASTRO, BLAST, VERSUS, NET, & WINDY = 480mm x 70mm
LINDBERGH & NOIR = 685mm x 70mm

I only have a couple VLXs so I'm (unfortunately) not able to precisely measure the instruction spaces for the other cab types. Also, if the metal retaining brackets securing the glass at each end of the instruction space cover a portion of the view-able move strip space, please let me know and provide specific measurements if you happen to have them. Thanks in advance.

And for those of you most looking forward to Bub, I forgot to mention I stumbled across a specific Taito Station that uses different custom design with Bub (generally only on their Egret 3s):

Taito Station_Bub example.JPG

Let me know if anyone has been to this one and seen the design in-person. Hint: it's not one of the Tokyo locations.

Awesome to have a cab with that kind of history/pedigree, @twistedsymphony. I'm definitely jealous. My work on the Try Amusement move-strip and marquee are already underway, but they are certainly a bit tougher than the others. Did your original marquee look like the Blast marquee I have a photo of below?

12NQ2e9.jpg

The artist, まるかた, prepared updated versions of the Try showgirl around 2008 (original versions are from ~2000). The 2008 versions made it into a number of the marquees, but only a few of the move strips.

If your Vewlix marquee had a different design (or if you still happen to have the photo), let me know. I know that there were also Blast marquees with the tiger character, but I don't have a great photo. I'm interested in collecting and reproducing as many OG designs as possible. Thanks!
I have that Instruction card, one employee of TRY give me 2 for free in the last year that they was open.

I can make some scan

Apologies, guys. I am still going to finalize and get these files/designs up for all of you to enjoy. I've just been very busy with a career move and haven't had anywhere near the time I'd like to focus on the hobby. I'm back on board now and will get the ball rolling on the ones I have just about done. Apologies for the continued delays.

As for the Try Amusement Tower instruction card, @CPZ - SAVEYOURGAMES, it would be awesome if you could share the scan with me so that I can check my design. I think I have it nailed pretty well, but would love to confirm with a decent quality scan of an original. I wouldn't share the scan without your permission, but would just use it to tweak my high-quality repro.

And here's another I have on deck, from the sixth floor of Sega Akihabara Building 3...very simple, but definitely nice to preserve:

IMG_20210722_141325.jpg

Last edited:
Also FWIW, I believe SEGA had custom art in their Game Center’s but only for their Blast City marquee. See the Sonic cabs below, as posted by @codecrank. I have a better quality close up photo somewhere, but the cabs I had with this art are long gone. Image would make a nice strip.
A bit of a necro-reply here, but that Sonic artwork is from the 2005 Sonic Channel as a character bio, while the "Sonic the Hedgehog" logo and accompanying text appears to be from the Sonic Adventure era. Also the Sega logo there is using the Japanese color, not the international color.

Hope that helps :)

Back