What's new
If he wants to make another video scaler I'm always looking to buy... I own the other 3 "major" players in the space.
  1. xRGB Mini "Framemeister"
  2. OSSC
  3. Taito JAMMA Kit
It's a necessity when you've disposed of your CRTs and fully embraced LCDs as I have. :)

How about focusing on the jvs2jamma to plug into the OSSC upscaler as an option? if I understand correctly the JVS2jamma would be use to pass the joystick inputs and as a pass video signal to the upscaler and since we have the OSSC why not use that... I have no idea how this tech thing works.. I am just trowing ideas..please don't hurt me..LOL :D
Already done, you can just use the output of this scaler into the VGA port of the OSSC :D

hand raised - Question...

"At this point it looks like I will split the jvs2jamma and the upscaler things into different boards for manufacture cost reasons"

How about focusing on the jvs2jamma to plug into the OSSC upscaler as an option? if I understand correctly the JVS2jamma would be use to pass the joystick inputs and as a pass video signal to the upscaler and since we have the OSSC why not use that... I have no idea how this tech thing works.. I am just trowing ideas..please don't hurt me..LOL :D
The OSSC and this has slightly different goals, I don't own a OSSC myself so I'm no authority on it, but the way I see it:
  • OSSC main focus is 15k consoles -> (digital) LCD
  • Yet2beNamedXrgb2ishDevice main focus is arcade Pcbs -> (analog) 31k CRT
Common for both is they take 15khz video in.

I use a rather expensive ADC and DAC with 30 bit color space to get the best possible CRT image, so it's uses are perhaps a bit limited, and boils down to 31k CRT's like Naomi Universal cabinets and older VGA monitors.

At this point it looks like I will split the jvs2jamma and the upscaler things into different boards for manufacture cost reasons
If the upscaler is lagless and does good 480i as well as 240p scaling then I'm super keen, like an OSSC with vga out, amazing :)

like an OSSC with vga out, amazing
Yes my thoughts exactly!

A big complaint about OSSC, it's another digital-out (DVI/HDMI) only device (a la xRGB mini, only faster).
Having another (Taito scaler) VGA/analog-out "fast" device with a arcade focus (accepts RGBsGr pin-header) would be perfect!

DeviceFocusOut
xRGB MiniEverything?Digital-HDMI
OSSCConsoleDigital-DVI
Taito KitArcadeAnalog-VGA
invzimArcade?Analog-VGA?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd definitely be down for both boards. I'd love to start collecting some multicarts and plug'n'play them on my Naomi Uni. Luckily I think I have invzim's same setup ;)

Whoa, I've been out of the loop for far too long. This looks like a fantastic little project, and thank you for your work!

I'd vote for "standard" JVS power connector, since it's going into a JVS cab anyway, and personally I don't mind springing for the scaler+jamma converter combined, but I totally get why you'd want to break it up.

Eager to see your progress!

Has there been any updates on this?
Kind of - it is 100% sure it will be split into two different boards, the upscaler part and the jvs2jamma part.
I'm also not going to use the Raspberry PI Zero, as availability of it is limited to one pr customer.

I'm having a prototype board made shortly that will have some sync logic needed for some odd PCB's and the STM32 MCU that will take over for the raspberry.
When that is all working good, I'll do a respin of the complete upscaler design.

Thanks for replying. Will be able to keep an eye on updates now through this thread

Hey @invzim for some reason the Jammafier picks up button 4 as button 6 on the Jvs test with my Konami Windy 2 I/O and it doesn’t register the actual buttons 5/6 at all.

Any chance you can make a remap preset to accommodate this?

I need Jvs button 6 input to output as button 4, otherwise normal mapping.

I suspect buttons 5 and 6 will work if they are mapped to jvs buttons 7 and 8 too. I’ve tried messing with the dips on the Konami I/O already to no avail.

So this is what I’d like mapped:

JVS button 6 —> Output button 4
JVS button 7 —> Output button 5
JVS button 8 —> Output button 6

If you can make this happen as a Konami remap preset @invzim I’d really appreciate it!

Hey @invzim for some reason the Jammafier picks up button 4 as button 6 on the Jvs test with my Konami Windy 2 I/O and it doesn’t register the actual buttons 5/6 at all.

Any chance you can make a remap preset to accommodate this?

I need Jvs button 6 input to output as button 4, otherwise normal mapping.
Unless there is a really weird bug, I'm going to point the finger at your IO board / wiring :) What does Naomi or other JVS games say?

Unless there is a really weird bug, I'm going to point the finger at your IO board / wiring :) What does Naomi or other JVS games say?

Yeah I think it boils down to the dual configurations that the IO board supports:

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/thumb/f/f8/W2_CP_sticker2.jpg/1200px-W2_CP_sticker2.jpg

For whatever reason the DIP switch to control this doesn't work on my I/O board so I'm stuck unless I rewire or solder a couple jumpers.

A software solution is always cleanest and I may not be the only one in this situation, but I understand if you do not wish to add a preset for such a weird scenario.

Ok so I located my spare I/O board and buttons 4-6 are working correctly now, so I no longer need an extra preset on the Jammafier. Thanks again for the response here @invzim

Back