What's new
Will any ide DVD-Rom drive work? Or is there a particular one to look for?

If it's for a 256, just about any will work if you have spare drives around... (although there ARE ones that won't)
if you need to use it on a 246, I've had really great luck with the NEC ND series, and in particular have been usually replacing everything i have with N-3570A drives

the ND series will also work like a champ on 256's as well, so it's a good go-to drive IMHO, as long as it's not already worn out.

Actually, on my system, I installed a Toshiba drive I had laying around. I got the machine to play the sound "GOOD MORNING", but it wouldn't go past there. That drive could have been bad too for all I know. But it worked with an LG drive that bought off eBay from the recommended list.

BTW, someone asked earlier if my dongle allows me to play Tekken 5.1; it doesn't :/

if your dongle is a TE52/3 you MUST use a TE52 DVD0B disc if you want Tekken 5.1
if you use a TE51 DVD0B disc, it will not fully boot.

Actually, on my system, I installed a Toshiba drive I had laying around. I got the machine to play the sound "GOOD MORNING", but it wouldn't go past there. That drive could have been bad too for all I know. But it worked with an LG drive that bought off eBay from the recommended list.
BTW, someone asked earlier if my dongle allows me to play Tekken 5.1; it doesn't :/
Where is this recommended list? Thank you!

Never mind, found the wiki page:
http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Namco_System_246/256

There is a more comprehensive list somewhere. FYI, I got the LG GCC-4120B.

Advice as to where to start from here? Should I still check voltages?
Yes. First troubleshooting should always be checking voltages. When I worked at Aladdin's Castle the Namco tech on the phone wouldn't even talk to us if we didn't have the voltages so we checked them and wrote them down before calling.
Sounds like a DVD drive issue though.
What Aladdin's Castle.....worked, and unfortunately helped close down the one in Wichita Falls, TX. Oddly enough, the company I work for now, just bought the three arcades in Mall of America, from Namco....bunch of my people were up there last week, changing 300+ locks on all the cabs. :D

AC... I have one of these cabinets. If you need any info on them, as far as monitor (Sanwa 29e31s), wiring, lifting the cab into standup/sitdown mode, or anything else, give me a shout. I've got it down to a science.
I got mine for 375, (still a steal, as they should go for 6-900 fully working), and played till I was done with T5. Sold the guts, including ps2 ports, card readers and distributor....basically everything....and got 300$ for all that...so I'm 75$ into one of the best sit down cabs you can find.

I had a buddy who got one as well, but his CP was all black, so I swapped him (he wanted Tekken 5 art), and drilled out the last two buttons.
Added a Stereo Amp, inside the control panel, replaced with new buttons and sticks, and a custom marquee, and she looks like this now.....

http://i.imgur.com/uQ1jYRe.jpg
(Used last name for marquee, had to block it out, sorry...did use Mappy's Broadway font, with the letters in a rainbow pattern R O Y G B, with the purple boarder. Thought it matched the Namco cab nicely)

I have also started art package to turn this into a "Namco Battlestation" cabinet with new marquee, sticker for that space between monitor and CP, and new CPO....but am nowhere near done with it.

Have had Naomi (with second PSU), NG with Gnbes CGA>VGA, the 256 obviously, a Raspi, and right now there is a Pandora 3 in there, which makes it easy for the wife to find Puzzle Bobble, and lets me play 3rd strike, which the Raspi still doesn't handle super well, in my experience.

I have had to rewire a lot, and will help out with stuff any way I can for you!!! Congrats on the great grab. They are amazing cabinets.

This thing can go into sit down mode? Pics please!

Did you buy chance inventory what caps the monitor needs? I need to remove the chassis and recap mine and I can get some T5 action going soon.

The pick you see there, is in sit down already.
Here's what your gonna do.
In the open space between the upper portion and the bottom, are two metal spacer panels that must come off. Unscrew those and set aside (KEEP PARTS TOGETHER!!!!!)
On the side of the cab, on the long rectangular bar, there will be a couple caps (like blank button place holders) Under the top one (if yours is in stand up) will be a Cap screw/bolt (this is on both sides). Also remove the lower cap, as your about to need it.
You need two people for this.
Remove both the bolts while other person holds under the back of the monitor...gently.
Both people shift (one to each side), and put one hand under control panel, and one under back of monitor case.
Gently rock the monitor and control panel towards the back of the cab...it will clear a small ledge, and then begin to slide downwards. (as it slides, make sure any cables running up the sides, dont get pinched between top and bottom portions....could use a third person for this))
When monitor/cp section reaches the bottom, it will have lined up with the bottom set of bolt holes. Place the bolts in and carefully tighten down BY HAND!! (dont strip these holes, they will be hell to recover/repair if you do)
Congratulations, you are now in sitdown mode....the monitor and CP will have shifted angles a bit, to account for proper sitdown arm rests.
Put two rolling office/ikea chairs in front, and you are absolutely ready to go!!!!

http://imgur.com/a/lGNc6

https://gamerepair.info/parts/54_sanwa_29e31s_16_monitor_chassis
CAPLIST ^

You are welcome, and I accept Grand Mariner, vert shooters, and first born sons as tribute/thanks.....:D

Back