What's new

bbickell

Student
Reaction score
Hey guys, recently got my first cabinet, an Astro City, and I love it but now I'm thinking about another cabinet and I'm looking into options for an LCD based sitdown cabinet. I know that a lot of folks recommend the Vewlix models but also with the caveat that most replace the screen. I don't own any physical hardware, or plan on it as of right now. Strictly MiSTer, emulation (RetroArch) and consoles.

Given that criteria, I'm wondering if there are newer, less known LCD cabinets I should be considering?

depends on where you are located but if in the USA, look at KC tread, he has a few LCD based cabs for $750.. should not brake the bank.

I bought my Astro City from KC, so I'm not opposed to dealing with him. I was mostly just wandering if there are LCD cabs newer than about 2007-2009 that I just wasn't aware of.

Or are Vewlix, Noir, Lindberg, G-Balance and Chewlix variants about what's out there?

There are also SQ (look almost identical to G-Balance), those cell-phone looking Virtua Tennis 4 cabs that only came out in Europe (and are apparently hard to get), and those new ones that're pricier that Sega has All.Net stuff running in whose name escapes me right now.

Only that last one, and Vewlix Diamond Blacks are worth looking into if you're worried about age. At least through the guise of "better technology". The Diamond Black Vewlixes were made through last year and 1080P. Those Sega ones are still being made, also 1080p.

They should set you back a bit under 2k for the Sega one if you can find one, and I think DB's are hovering around 3-3500 now?

I know that a lot of folks recommend the Vewlix models but also with the caveat that most replace the screen.
Very few people ever replace the screen. A bare handful are experimenting with it, and otherwise 99+% of the cabs out there are stock.

There's no reason to replace the screen if you want an arcade experience. It's cool that you have options to if you're interested in such a thing. Don't think of it as some kind of requirement to enjoy a Vewlix.

I know that a lot of folks recommend the Vewlix models but also with the caveat that most replace the screen.
Very few people ever replace the screen. A bare handful are experimenting with it, and otherwise 99+% of the cabs out there are stock.
There's no reason to replace the screen if you want an arcade experience. It's cool that you have options to if you're interested in such a thing. Don't think of it as some kind of requirement to enjoy a Vewlix.
Ah, thanks for the correction.

How do folks generally feel about G-Balance cabinets vs say a Vewlix? I've played on a Vewlix before and kind of consider it the standard here, I guess.

Also interested in ability to rotate for tate.

Back