What's new
The aspect ratio of 4x3 is 1.33. The aspect ratio of that screen is 1.125. So it is pretty close.

Keep in mind, you'll need an external scaler/DAC as well. That scaler/DAC needs to do two things:

1. Convert analog RGB to digital
    • There is no mention of analog video input on that monitor (VGA or DVI)
  2. Rotate the image from portrait to landscape
    • Unless the monitor has a rotate feature it in

There are already photos of it in a NNC. Fits very well.
I have one on order .. I will report when the screen arrives 🙂

where are the pic if you don't mind me asking? That will be great if you can give us your opinions!

The aspect ratio of 4x3 is 1.33. The aspect ratio of that screen is 1.125. So it is pretty close.

Keep in mind, you'll need an external scaler/DAC as well. That scaler/DAC needs to do two things:

1. Convert analog RGB to digital
    • There is no mention of analog video input on that monitor (VGA or DVI)
  2. Rotate the image from portrait to landscape
    • Unless the monitor has a rotate feature it in

the Rotation part worries me If the monitor doesn't have that option (which i doubt) this will be more something that could work great for MiSTer without the need for the rgb convertor

It could be a nice tate only monitor if in fact there is no rotate feature?

The fact it isnt OLED is a deal breaker as a CRT stand-in.

I think its an IPS display. I didn't check the response time but being for productivity I won't keep my hopes up :)

Last edited:
the Rotation part worries me If the monitor doesn't have that option (which i doubt) this will be more something that could work great for MiSTer without the need for the rgb convertor
Actually, according to comments, one of the models defaults video display in landscape mode. You have to set your OS to portrait mode. So I think you are good to go. Just need a DAC now.

1655233541139.png

hey, I think that what that says is that either the OS or the Graphic card need to have the functionality to rotate the screen because the monitor itself can't.

hey, I think that what that says is that either the OS or the Graphic card need to have the functionality to rotate the screen because the monitor itself can't.
TATE in arcade PCB's is hardcoded with reference to landscape orientation. If it defaults to landscape, then that is all you really need to know. Some sort of video conversion from RGB is always a factor when connecting arcades to computer monitors anyway. Those are plentiful and cost as little is $10.

Pretty much all modern graphics cards, even in laptops, can change orientation. I think the commands are CTRL+Up or Down or Left or Right. And since you aren't using a PC, it is a go-go-go!

2560 x 2880 is going to be basically perfect for a scaler like RetroTink 5x.
You'll get proper 1440p (2560 x 1440 4:3 aspect) output on that!

Vewlix FC :)

I've already upgraded the stock (trash) Sanwa LCD with a LG 32GK650F-B (sadly this is a VA panel LCD, and can't preproduce the sexy/deep blacks of a OLED).

16:18 isn't that close to 4:3 really. I laid it out to look, there's going to be significant letterboxing still. I dunno, just might want to be aware of that before you get too excited.

there's going to be significant letterboxing still
Absolutely, if the OP is looking for a perfect aspect match this isn't going to be it.
However it WILL give him the highest 4:3 output option currently available (RetroTink5x's 1440p mode).

I think it would rock for a supergun+RT5x or compact Mister setup.
As a CRT replacement in a actual arcade machine? Fuck NO!

But you know that's why I purchased a Vewlix and not a legacy/CRT candy cab...
You'll NEVER replace that 29" (USA 27") 4:3 aspect curved CRT screen with any proper aspect looking LCD PERIOD.
NEVER (they do NOT exist now and will never exist in the future)

Last edited by a moderator:
There was flat panel similar to this released a while back, Eizo Flexscan EV2730Q-BK 27, never had chance to use one but this LG might be quite decent in an SG setup.

Sometime around the early 2000's Riverservice offered a bezel "insert" that corrected the gaps caused by installing a pure flat tube CRT into a Blast City.
I imagine even IF you could buy a proper 4:3 aspect ratio 29" LCD you would also need something like that.
The gaps are nothing to scoff at, I'd say almost 2" at the very edge, its disgusting looking.

the screen arrived - as expected it fits the NUC bezel quiet well .. but not perfectly. Still better than any widescreen monitor.
IMG_6021.jpg

But as others already pointed out there is a huge problem with the screen orientation. It natively runs in tate mode - so you need a video source which can rotate the picture. With a mame pc thats not a problem but with PCBs and even some mister cores this screen wont work.

Guess I will have to return in :whistling:

Back