What's new

Judgmentt

Beginner
Reaction score
Hey Everyone

I have had my CPS2 Multikit for almost a year now with no issues. Recently I have started getting some lines in my foreground sprites(see photos) and I could use some help trying to track down why. I disassembled the multi-kit to check the pins and everything looks good there (photos attached). I was able to procure a second A board to test with but that produced the same results, lines in my sprites. I double, triple checked the boards to make sure everything was properly mated but no new results. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• cps2-1.jpg
    cps2-1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 208
  • cps2-2.jpg
    cps2-2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 154
  • cps2-3.jpg
    cps2-3.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 202
  • cps2-4.jpg
    cps2-4.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 143
  • cps2-5.jpg
    cps2-5.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 139
  • cps2-6.jpg
    cps2-6.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 141
  • cps2-7.jpg
    cps2-7.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 152

Mitsurugi-w

Arcade Admini-Moderator
Staff member
Legendary
Reaction score
How does the sound fix look? Still secure?

Judgmentt

Beginner
Reaction score
Here’s a shot of the sound fix, it’s secured

Attachments

• 07F3CEA6-211C-4C14-BB8D-B0C1C448D3B7.jpeg
    07F3CEA6-211C-4C14-BB8D-B0C1C448D3B7.jpeg
    828.2 KB · Views: 128

Frank_fjs

Multi Boyz 4 Lyfe
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Perhaps a fault in the B board itself, probably one of the customs.

Are you running a fan?

Also, ensure the A and B boards are firmly docked.

5V good?

Judgmentt

Beginner
Reaction score
-The fan is running, it isn't the stock fan but a suitable replacement
- A&B Boards are firmly mated
-5V is good according to my supergun

RE: Sega 16 Altered Beast Thread: That thread refers to a faulty rom chip but those chips aren't on the board anymore since my Darksoft kit took it's place. I also noticed this issue before disassembling and reassembling the multikit to see if any pins may have been bent or damaged.

I have also gotten rid of the lines on a different working A board, which makes me think it could be either the Darksoft Multi or the B board itself.

Frank_fjs

Multi Boyz 4 Lyfe
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
I'd speculate the B board. Those customs run hot and with a less powerful fan one of them probably died.

Flain

Student
Reaction score
This might sound strange but are you testing this with the B board back in it's full case? I just had a very similar problem (almost looks the same), i re-seated the B board many times, push all 4 connectors *really* hard to ensure good contact to no avail and like you i triple checked all the multi board pieces and how they were inserted.

Once i put it back in the case it worked without the lines. Something about how the case helps make the A+B mate together evenly/easy.

xodaraP

Enlightened
Reaction score
I'd speculate the B board. Those customs run hot and with a less powerful fan one of them probably died.
This might sound strange but are you testing this with the B board back in it's full case? I just had a very similar problem (almost looks the same), i re-seated the B board many times, push all 4 connectors *really* hard to ensure good contact to no avail and like you i triple checked all the multi board pieces and how they were inserted.

Once i put it back in the case it worked without the lines. Something about how the case helps make the A+B mate together evenly/easy.
Possible but if it was used for a year and it's only happening now - I'd suggest the sockets are at fault.

Looking in your picture several pins in the socket look like they are not making a good connection and this would absolutely cause lines. They're not in the sprites though they're in the fix layer

I would be checking and considering replacing your main program ROM sockets (bottom left of the board)