What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
I've got a NAOMI 1 with a Pi-Force Tools setup and a Rev H Multi-bios. So far it's run every game available without any issues except for Lupin the 3rd The Shooting.

The NAOMI goes through the normal net-boot process but then once the game is loaded it boots into the test menu instead of the game. I can use the test menu normally and even launch and use the game test menu, but when I exit out the console just takes me right back into the menu again.

I've tried with both USA and Japanese bios settings and I've tried it on 2 different NAOMI consoles.

Has anyone else run into this problem before? anyone know of a solution?

I've never had the problem while using CF kits but I've never even touched a Piloader so I can't really say. Have you tried doing a normal netboot to see if you get the same result?

I've never had the problem while using CF kits but I've never even touched a Piloader so I can't really say. Have you tried doing a normal netboot to see if you get the same result?
I'd never net-booted from a PC before but I spent some time and got that all up and running and... same result. Not surprising since the Pi uses the exact same python script for net booting.

I even grabbed a fresh copy of the lupin bin incase mine was corrupt and no difference there either. :-/

FWIW My net Dimm is running 4.02 with a Zero Key and I'm plugged into a Type 1 JVS I/O

I don't have a CF setup but ultimately I want this running on the Pi anyway.

FWIW; I have the same issue with my Naomi2 Raspberry Pi net boot setup. It loads directly to the test menu - odd. I thought it was perhaps my rom being bad, but apparently it is something else. If anyone finds out the problem and/or solution - I would like to hear it.

FWIW; I have the same issue with my Naomi2 Raspberry Pi net boot setup. It loads directly to the test menu - odd. I thought it was perhaps my rom being bad, but apparently it is something else. If anyone finds out the problem and/or solution - I would like to hear it.
is that happening to you on all games or just Lupin the Shooting?

EDIT: Just to try I used a different Net Dimm with 3.17 firmware and I tried my NAOMI 2, same results...

Last edited:
No - just Lupin the Shooting. Other games don't load at all (a handful), but this one loads and just goes to test screen. Only one that I am aware of that does it.

Can you try TransferGame.exe instead of the pi script?

Can you try TransferGame.exe instead of the pi script?
I found what I believe to be the official TransferGame.exe and tried that (There seems to also be a file with the same name that's just an exe compiled version of the python script)... no different than before, it still just boots to the test menu.

Thinking about this, I've seen similar behavior before on other older JAMMA games. if there's a jumper or dip-switch for test mode that is set the game will only boot into test mode even if you exit out. Maybe there's a jumper on the NAOMI somewhere that this game uses that others don't, or maybe there's something with the rom where it THINKS such a jumper has been flipped?

Hi all also having the same issue with lupin the 3rd booting to test menu only difference is i am loading from cf card all other shooters loading fine have tried 2 different naomi boards and dimm boards with the same result have run out of ideas.

this game supports only Sega 837-13551 JVS IO (which is kind of native for NAOMI lightgun games, except few made by Namco).
it doesn't work with any others like Capcom "converter" or 837-13683 "JVS to JAMMA"

this game supports only Sega 837-13551 JVS IO (which is kind of native for NAOMI lightgun games, except few made by Namco).
it doesn't work with any others like Capcom "converter" or 837-13683 "JVS to JAMMA"
I'm using a Sega Type 1 JVS I/O: 837-13551-92

I would think that an incorrect I/O would produce an "unsuppored I/O" or "I/O Not found" error message, as it does with most other games when the I/O board is missing or incorrect.

As I said before I can go into the Game test menu and I can even do a button and gun check and it works fines so I would suspect that the I/O board is not the problem.

I'm using a Sega Type 1 JVS I/O: 837-13551-92
OK, then there is also something else this game doesn't like, perhaps BIOS version or smth.

I would think that an incorrect I/O would produce an "unsuppored I/O" or "I/O Not found" error message, as it does with most other games when the I/O board is missing or incorrect.
In perfect world yes, it must show some error message, but at least on emulator this game just hang with black screen in the case JVS IO is not 13551. so I tend to think the cause of fall back to test mode is input-related.

A broken I/O would do that, jump into service menu. I've seen it a couple of times already.

A broken I/O would do that, jump into service menu. I've seen it a couple of times already.
I have two of these I/O boards and I've tried both. Also, these are the I/O boards I use to play all the other games on NAOMI and they've never given me any indication that anything is wrong with either of them.

Just to confirm, have you been able to successfuly run Lupin the Shooting on CF or Netboot? So far everyone else on this thread has only confirmed that it doesn't work for them either.

OK, then there is also something else this game doesn't like, perhaps BIOS version or smth.
Do you know what BIOS version this game shipped with. I can burn and test a different bios but there are only a few that will work with a Net-Boot.

Just to confirm, have you been able to successfuly run Lupin the Shooting on CF or Netboot? So far everyone else on this thread has only confirmed that it doesn't work for them either.
I haven't been able but haven't dig much into it. So I guess it's either BIOS dependent as MetalliC pointed out or.....the game hasn't been hacked properly (remember emulators don't work 100% like original hardware) and there is some interrupt race going on.

I recently picked up a Sega Type 2 JVS I/O board so I figured I'd give that a shot with this game... interestingly it wont even boot into the test menu, just a black screen with this I/O board. So no luck there... Just for shits I tried booting without any I/O board connected and it gives me a "I/O board is not connected" error, which I suppose is expected.

I got this working!

1. you MUST use a Japanese Bios (I used Rev H, Rev H English bios boots to test))
2. you MUST use a Type-1 I/O Board (Type-2 boots to a black screen, I didn't test any other I/O boards)
3. you MUST have coin meters attached (will boot to test menu if they're not attached)
4. you MUST have the system set to a monitor type of horizontal (will boot to test menu if set to vertical)

obviously #4 wont happen to most people but I ran into it after switching to this from a vertical game.

I didn't have coin meters spoofed but I've been testing other games and noticed that Tetris Kiwamemichi also booted to the test menu for me, searching around for that game I saw someone mention that it wouldn't boot without the coin meters hooked up or spoofed. Spoofing the coin meters for Lupin the Shooting worked but only after I used the JP bios AND a Type 1 I/O board

For those unfamiliar with spoofing the coin meters you need to use two 100ohm resistors and run it between a +5V pin (I used pin 7) and the coin meter pins (49 and 50). Run 1 wire from pin 7 and attach to two resistors then the other end of each resistor should go to pins 49 and 50 respectively. You basically just need a logic high on those pins.

NOAMI Games I've found that wont boot or will boot to test menu without the coin meters hooked up:
Lupin The Shooting
Musapeys Choco Marker
Nomiso Kone Kone Puzzle Takoron
Shikigami no Shiro II
Tetris Kiwamemichi
Trigger Heart Exelica

Good news.

For anyone interested, if you use my S-JIHP pcb for your controls it automatically spoofs the coin meters for you.

This does indeed work, thanks twistedsymphony!

Just for others also having troubles with this:
After pulling pin 8 of the JAMMA connector up to +5V by adding a 100 ohm resistor, the NOAMI games above no longer hang in test mode! Problem solved.

The other requirements were already met in my case, just wanted to note that this trick also works on the SEGA JVS I/O to JAMMA Converter Board (Rev A) 838-13683-02. The coin meter spoof wire was attached to pin 1 of CN3 (+5V) and on the other side it was temporarily shoved into the JAMMA connector at pin 8 (top side), just for testing...

That's a quite confusing error, since the NAOMI usually shows a clear error message when something is wrong with the setup. Here, it was just returning to test mode after starting the game, quite annoying. It's specific to these games.