What's new
None of the MRA's load for me. it show's it loading the ROM with the status bars and all that but then blank.

Idk about everyone else, but I use .neo ROM files.

These MRA files are looking for the mame .zip roms.

I put the mame roms in the mame folder but it doesn't work for me.

Anybody else have any luck?

None of the MRA's load for me. it show's it loading the ROM with the status bars and all that but then blank.

Idk about everyone else, but I use .neo ROM files.

These MRA files are looking for the mame .zip roms.

I put the mame roms in the mame folder but it doesn't work for me.

Anybody else have any luck?

Same. I got a black screen. I used Update_All to acquire the Neo Geo Rom set. I also tried the .neo roms that I've been using with Neo Geo console core. Curious if we need the bios in there.

Same. I got a black screen. I used Update_All to acquire the Neo Geo Rom set. I also tried the .neo roms that I've been using with Neo Geo console core. Curious if we need the bios in there.

I tried symlinking the bios files from the NeoGeo dir but I see it references neogeo.zip in the MRA.

I'll give it a try.

Edit: neogeo.zip did not help

Edit 2: Actually with a newer version of neogeo.zip I get the crosshatch. So that's something.

Last edited:
I tried symlinking the bios files from the NeoGeo dir but I see it references neogeo.zip in the MRA.

I'll give it a try.

Edit: neogeo.zip did not help

Edit 2: Actually with a newer version of neogeo.zip I get the crosshatch. So that's something.
Yes, crosshatch means the bios is loaded. Mame romsets don't work, they are encrypted and this core doesn't support them. You need unencrypted romsets aka "neo geo darksoft roll-up pack". This is single file archive containing a lot of titles but if you pack individual game files into thier own zips and put it to /games/mame the game should boot up.
Update_all is not yet supported, but there is effort to get it implemented, so it will be eventually.

Yes, crosshatch means the bios is loaded. Mame romsets don't work, they are encrypted and this core doesn't support them. You need unencrypted romsets aka "neo geo darksoft roll-up pack". This is single file archive containing a lot of titles but if you pack individual game files into thier own zips and put it to /games/mame the game should boot up.
Update_all is not yet supported, but there is effort to get it implemented, so it will be eventually.
Thanks for the clarification.

I have this pack.

I'll give it a shot.

Works great with decrypted roms.

Just make sure your neogeo.zip contains uni-bios.rom. Some of them only have uni-bios_#_#.rom.

I think you can really just zip up whatever is in your neogeo games directory that isn't a .neo or a .xml file to create neogeo.zip.

When memory card support is added, this will be THE way that I play MVS roms on the MiSTer.

Thanks a lot @blackwine

It's going to be a very good holiday season this year \o/
You’re going to love it! Half of the Beta Testers are active members of this forum, so if anyone runs into issues, you got a direct line for sure.

@ShootTheCore wrote the manual, quick start guide and has a video in the works. When he’s ready, I hope he’ll start up an official MiSTercade thread for feedback/troubleshooting/info.

Happy, you have solved it.
You can always look up in the MRA what file mister searches for.
This is work in progress, other stuff will get into a core eventually.
Yes, looking at the MRA is how I originally got the bios loaded. I modified the MRA to look for uni-bios_4_0.rom because that's what was in my mame neogeo.zip.

The confusion occurred because the filenames happen to also correspond directly with the mame filenames. I have 20+ years experience with those filenames and automatically associate them with mame (even update_all.sh found every single one of them in mame).

I just happened to grab the DarkSoft pack last year when I ordered the MiSTer because I heard it was needed. When I started tinkering with the MiSTer, I learned it could use the same .neo files that my NeoSD uses and just went with those. I totally forgot about the DarkSoft files and had never seen them individually zipped.

I like this solution, but I think these questions will be asked a lot. Most users don't have a technical background and probably won't even know what a DarkSoft roll-up pack is (outside of this forum). Most will probably assume mame, based on past experience.

Thanks again for this. It's bugged me since day one that MVS was under console.

Back