What's new
Does this work? Or do we need it even smaller?

1648920082547.png

That looks perfect. I think if the current 3D case is adjusted to fit the pcb this would be perfect.

I wonder if it’s better suited for the micro to be horizontal instead of vertical to save space though.

Just in case that someone missed this one.. it is based on a PCB instead of wires..

https://www.laserbear.net/products/laser-bit-controller-adapter-sega-genesis
Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Given how fragile the micro USB connection is, I don't much like that design given that it will have significant wire strain at all times in any position. This hobby is expensive enough, brutha! :)

The gerber is attached. I'll make another version where the Arduino is turned sideways later today so it is more compact. Also, I am going do the same thing for Saturn controllers since I like that controller layout a lot.

Last edited:
Any chance of an early BOM preview so I can order some parts now? Pandemic/supply chain issues FTW!
This project will be really easy to assemble and I'll prove it on a video from a earlier prototype that i made using old MVS parts.

Hope everyone enjoy, just give me some more days, working on USB2DB15 batches right now.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Given how fragile the micro USB connection is, I don't much like that design given that it will have significant wire strain at all times in any position. This hobby is expensive enough, brutha! :)

The gerber is attached. I'll make another version where the Arduino is turned sideways later today so it is more compact. Also, I am going do the same thing for Saturn controllers since I like that controller layout a lot.
Why not continue with SNE/NES/PC Engine? Don’t stop with the Saturn..

Alright, assuming that pin 8 is GND and pin 5 is VCC, I have copper pours on both layers for the GND and VCC planes. This is designed so that the Arduino Pro Micro is installed on the parts side, but with the parts on the Arduino facing down (be sure to bridge the jumper before installing). This ensures that the USB cable lays close to the PCB to facilitate stress relief. I've added stress relief holes so you can zip tie the USB cable in place. That micro USB connector is very delicate. Once inserted, you should try not to remove as @djsheep cautioned. The DB9 connector is mfg part number: DB9-TH_DT10121-M5N3-4F made by CONFLY. But the reference design is pretty standard. I am thinking just about any DB9 male right angle solder connector works. It is made to have the smallest possible form factor.

SegaControllers2Daemonbite.jpg

SegaControllers2DaemonbiteSolder.jpg

Attachments

• Gerber_DaemonbiteDualDB9_SmallFF.zip
    267.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
And here are the gerbers for the Saturn2Daemonbite adapters. Two PCB's:
  1. The actual adapter PCB
  2. The controller port retaining lid
Designed similarly to the previous PCB: Arduino is installed face down for wire strain relief. Form factor is kept small.

Follow assembly instructions from Frank_fjs's SAT2NEO adapter for the Saturn controller ports. When you buy the cables to assemble this, they'll serve two purposes:
  1. The male port will be used for this adapter
  2. The other long tag end is terminated to RJ45 so you can use with a PS360+, MC Cthulhu EZ PCB, Brook Retro

1648996685907.png

1648996721199.png

Attachments

• Gerber_Saturn2Daemonbite.zip
    233.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Gerber_Saturn2Daemonbite_PortLid_2022-04-03.zip
    21.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Thanks @RealMFnG -- I'll get to getting some PCBs made up and let you know how I go!
Interested in seeing it up and running. Post and page me when you get going.

I am awaiting @Raph_friend's project to come out in a few days. Then I'll make a PCB order for several projects.
Great job!

Those mini arduino can be found in Mini USB version too. The micro version is really fragile, I broke one recently :S
Should be fine with the cable stress relief I put in. I suppose you can use the Arduino Pro Mini which might have a stronger USB connector. But unless it is through-hole, it is still relatively pretty weak for the application.

Back