What's new
Oh no! Maybe i Need ti change password?
Do you use the same password here on AP that you use other places?

We just dealt with a wave of this exact same spam in the Ars Technica forums, and in looking into it it's across a ton of different forums.

It seems pretty clear some email/passwords leaked. You were probably part of that leak, and if you're using the same email/password in other places they're vulnerable.

Sure I’ll just leave MiSTer stuff here from now on :)
060AE2D0-704D-4C50-9B2C-C8E7A89EC14B.jpeg

Jotego is analyzing the CPS3. I'm waiting with bated breath for a mister core, but the fact that this guy even thinks this won't be a complete waste of time is exciting. I was in Japan a few weeks ago playing Third Strike and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and it was a ton of fun.

https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1614943381062303746

As far as I am aware the WIP Saturn core has not been updated since December 1st?

Do you have a more up-to date development core?

As far as I am aware the WIP Saturn core has not been updated since December 1st?

Do you have a more up-to date development core?
No I am still testing on the Dec core. Just testing games that aren't on the spreadsheet yet

So what's the TL:DR best option for a JAMMA setup these days? Have a MiSTer and made my own USB and I/O boards a couple of years ago and haven't really used it as much as I thought I would. Sort of keen to just have it sitting in my cab as something to switch to when I wanna play some oddball stuff I don't have a PCB for.

Do you lose anything by just connecting it via a JPAC?

So what's the TL:DR best option for a JAMMA setup these days? Have a MiSTer and made my own USB and I/O boards a couple of years ago and haven't really used it as much as I thought I would. Sort of keen to just have it sitting in my cab as something to switch to when I wanna play some oddball stuff I don't have a PCB for.

Do you lose anything by just connecting it via a JPAC?

A JPAC will work if you're getting VGA output from your MiSTer through either a DAC or an IO board, but the JPAC doesn't have an audio amplifier for the cab's speakers so you'd still have to do something separate from the JPAC for the sound to work. Not a problem if you have a stereo cab with an amplifier though.

The Big Two JAMMA hats for MiSTer at the moment are the Irken Labs JAMMA Expander by @invzim and the MiSTercade by @misteraddons . Both hats have low latency controls, 6 button support through either kickharness or CHAMMA, integrated USB hub, integrated audio amplifier for JAMMA mono audio, stereo line-level RCA jacks, integrated video amplifier for 15khz JAMMA video, power the MiSTer off the arcade PSU and have comprehensive support.

DISCLAIMER: I was a beta tester on the MisterAddons MiSTercade and wrote the manual for it.

Features unique to the Irken Labs JAMMA Expander are:
- 24 bit color via Direct Video from the MiSTer's HDMI port
- option for 2 SDRAM cards if needed, since it doesn't use the MiSTer's GPIO pins.
- SyncGuard to block out-of-range signals from going to the cab display.
- A physical switch to lock out players out of MiSTer's Menu.
- MAME keyboard or controller input modes.
- Voltmeter, diagnostics and settings shown on a neat OLED display.
- MiSTer powered by the 5V rail on the cab PSU.

Features unique to the MisterAddons MiSTercade are:
- 18 bit color via analog feed from the MiSTer's GPIO pins.
- Can operate both the HDMI digital output and JAMMA analog output simultaneously (useful for streaming)
- Heat sink, cooling fan, metal volume dial and plexiglass protection plates included.
- Premade controller mappings for all console and arcade cores - just drag-and-drop the mapping files to the MiSTer's SD card.
- Control shortcut for pulling up the MiSTer Menu can be rebound or disabled by changing a configuration file.
- Expansion options for SNAC input (light guns), Remote (volume control, SNAC port & MiSTer buttons on a remote board), Versus (multiple cabs linked together running off one MiSTer) and control breakout.
- MiSTer can be powered by either the 5V rail or 12V rail of the cab PSU (MiSTercade steps the 12V rail down to the 5V the MiSTer expects if the 12V jumper is set).

The other publicly released MiSTer JAMMA options that I know of are:
Antonio Villena JAMMA adapter - Doesn't include a video amp, so video will only work if your cab supports VGA (ie Blast City, New Net City).
AliExpress MiSTer adapter - new to the scene, and I haven't heard anything good or bad yet on how safe it is for voltages with the MiSTer and your cab.
JAMMIX - flexible and full-featured but has been out of stock for a while now.

Last edited:
Ah he even fixed the power I see now too. I had an older one that worked well on a normal 15khz cab but wouldn’t power it through the jamma

Any comparisons of the hdmi direct vs mistercade? Is it noticeable on an actual crt. Whats faster to setup from scratch?

And what does that give you exactly in any given game as opposed to irkens? Seems both have said once in cab it takes minutes! Im torn between both options.

Can't help you decide, but at the end of the day it's just a fancy jamma adapter, and once it's running neither are particularly hard. Setting up the Mister is where the work side is, and that's not all that difficult either.

I'm partial to the Mistercade because it's what I have, and I've had a lot of really excellent personal support from him. Easy recommendation. But I haven't used the Irken one so I'm in no position to compare.

My personal take, get what's available to ship at the moment you're buying. That was decisive for me.

Back