What's new
Hey all - have a weird issue with my MiSTercade in an Astro City. I installed it two nights ago and everything was great and worked fine. This morning I turn on my cab and I can't get any controls to respond at the main menu. P1, P2 side, nothing does anything. I've tried leaving the cab on and rebooting the MiSTer via the physical buttons, and I've also tried powering off and on the entire thing.

If I use a keyboard, I can still get the menu to respond. Seems like something is amiss with my controls via Jamma, or the controller on the mistercade that decodes them? Haven't been in the cab since Friday when this was working so nothing has changed there.

Anyone seen anything like that?
Hey, use the contact form on my site and I’ll help troubleshoot. A few microcontrollers have intermittent connection issues and need replacement. I caught most but not all of them during the QA process.

Regarding the top and bottom plates, I have the bottom plates ordered + PCB feet. Waiting on the top plate prototype with updated pinout for the remote accessory connection.

Either way, I’m flattered by the community creations. Keep them up!

279E28D9-E777-489C-9EDB-18A061C1D7B3.jpeg
9374D4B7-A791-46AF-99DF-88BD5D16BD08.jpeg

Hey all - have a weird issue with my MiSTercade in an Astro City. I installed it two nights ago and everything was great and worked fine. This morning I turn on my cab and I can't get any controls to respond at the main menu. P1, P2 side, nothing does anything. I've tried leaving the cab on and rebooting the MiSTer via the physical buttons, and I've also tried powering off and on the entire thing.

If I use a keyboard, I can still get the menu to respond. Seems like something is amiss with my controls via Jamma, or the controller on the mistercade that decodes them? Haven't been in the cab since Friday when this was working so nothing has changed there.

Anyone seen anything like that?
I experienced same issue. Did you figured it out yet?

I don't know if there's a way to make it work, but it's definitely a non-standard Neo-Geo thing, and not part of the jamma standard. So it might not be supported. There are some subtle wiring differences between jamma and true Neo Geo.

Which brings up the next point: running jamma boards in a cab wired for Neo Geo can damage the boards. Neo Geo wiring is set up for stereo, and can send voltage to the audio amp on a mono jamma board. I use a JNX adapter in my Neo Candy to avoid problems. Something to be aware of since it sounds like that's what you're using. Not sure if it will be a problem for the Mistercade.

What JNX adapter board are you using?

From what I saw in the video the cabinet has a standard VGA monitor. However the mistercade does not output a standard VGA signal level wise from it's VGA connector. In order to use the mistercade with a VGA monitor the easiest solution is 480P out on the HDMI of the DE-10 and then a simple HDMI->VGA adapter
That was a great suggestion. I wound up trying exactly what you suggested...HDMI out of the DE-10 Nano into a HDMI to VGA adapter, and then VGA into my monitor. No more color over-saturation or rolling.

With a little experimentation with the Mister.ini, I was finally able to find a VGA scaling/resolution that is VERY close to original. I might experiment a bit more down the road, but for now it looks pretty damn good. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
That was a great suggestion. I wound up trying exactly what you suggested...HDMI out of the DE-10 Nano into a HDMI to VGA adapter, and then VGA into my monitor. No more color over-saturation or rolling.

With a little experimentation withe Mister.ini, I was finally able to find a VGA scaling/resolution that is VERY close to original. I might experiment a bit more down the road, but for now it looks pretty damn good. :thumbsup:

Fantastic! :D

Just saw the video and yes you need to power the Mistercade through the jamma edge, 12v specifically. So the capped power wires on your harness need to plugged to the molex on PSU. Do not use the PSU that comes with the DE10 nano.

Also, you should unplug power to your 60n1, since you will be using the mistercade.
Got the AUDIO issue FIXED! It turns out it was just as simple as ensuring that the +12v, 5+, and ground from the PSU were properly wired to the JAMMA.

And holy smokes...I had to almost cover my ears because the volume was at MAX when I finally heard noise through my mono-speaker.

The MISTercade is a dream come true. Thank you to everyone who contributed to the project...and thank you to those of you who gave me the help I needed to sort this out!

Attachments

• IMG_1391.jpg
    IMG_1391.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1390.jpg
    IMG_1390.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 100
Hey, use the contact form on my site and I’ll help troubleshoot. A few microcontrollers have intermittent connection issues and need replacement. I caught most but not all of them during the QA process.
Done and done. Thanks!

Please use my site’s contact page for support.

So far, the only solution has been to replace the microcontrollers with new ones.
Shoot, I only tested mine out since they're at work and won't be able to really put good load on them for several months. I hope they're ok and it's not too widespread of an issue! Thanks for the excellent support~

It's weird. I fired my Astro City up with the Mistercade last night and it worked fine. Got through DoDonPachi twice, played a few other games, and then did a cold reboot on MiSTer from the UI. That's when the controls didn't come back.

Shoot, I only tested mine out since they're at work and won't be able to really put good load on them for several months. I hope they're ok and it's not too widespread of an issue! Thanks for the excellent support~
It's not very widespread and I'll make sure you're taken care of.
It's weird. I fired my Astro City up with the Mistercade last night and it worked fine. Got through DoDonPachi twice, played a few other games, and then did a cold reboot on MiSTer from the UI. That's when the controls didn't come back.
Yeah the connection issue is intermittent on the affected units. Once it connects it maintains its connection until you power off or reset.

Has the pinout of the remote header been shared anywhere? I'm interested in wiring up a remote menu button until the official remote becomes available.

Back