What's new

GarouSP

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi There,
Could anyone say if the version 3.1 turbo ninja from mame is decrypted? I burned the eproms but the game didn't booted.
MK1 Y Unit, U89 and U105 burned two times but no deal.
Saw on ebay the two eproms to sell w/o the kombo board so I assume that is a decrypted version.
THX!!!!

it's protected.
mame driver says:
/* the security GAL overlays a counter of some sort at 0xfffff400 in ROM space.
* A startup protection check expects to read back two different values in succession */

so it should be easy with the debugger to put a watch on that address, catch the check and then patch the code.

bumping the thread.

using mame set "mkyturbo"
load u105 into a hex editor or your programmer,
at address 0007:be98 you should see "c0"
change it to "60" and burn the rom.

that should kill the check but probably breaks the checksum - that can be looked at if this works so-far.

Tested on MAME, works fine, gonna burn the eproms and test on hardware, but I can only provide a feedback Tuesday, anyway thank you!!!!!!!
PS: mame complains about checksun but I guess that on hardware this should not be a problem coz when the pcb starts to check the roms, automatically is skipped, probably this was to the game work w/o any problem...

Last edited:
@stj did you check out judge dredd? that hack needs finishing / improvement if you are in the TMSS zone (level order sometimes breaks) ;)

if i had time, i would get back to my project to run strikeforce on MK or high-impact boards. :D
have it running, but didnt fix the gfx.
my real issue is the time it takes my main machine to build mame.
i have a faster spare box, but i'd have to keep copying the source to it just to build the code and then copy the elf back to the main computer :(

another thing i'd like to do is find or get all the pld's dumped on Y boards.
damned boards use some oversized crap from intel - 9c-something aka epm610 or something like that.

damned boards use some oversized crap from intel - 9c-something aka epm610 or something like that.
Yep and when that chip is fucked the board is scrap :(
Some bootlegs have it so it should be dumpable.

Sounds like you have the same problem as the "lab" here - equipment getting a bit long in the tooth ;)

PS: If anyone has the terminator 2 Y unit bootleg that still needs to be dumped.

@stj tested today in a MK board, works fine.
@Hammy I used to have one but need to look for it and find it, what needs to be dumped, I'm a noob related to dump and just have a TL866CS but if I can help in any way, I'm glad to help, but need to warn that the board aren't working and if I remember well the is some parts missing, some rams I guess...... or if I can't do nothing maybe I can send the board.....

bumping the thread.

using mame set "mkyturbo"
load u105 into a hex editor or your programmer,
at address 0007:be98 you should see "c0"
change it to "60" and burn the rom.

that should kill the check but probably breaks the checksum - that can be looked at if this works so-far.
@stj sorry to bother you with this question but I simply forgot how to find an address like this one 0007:be98 can you help me?
PS: If someone could help I appreciate THX!!!!

Download HxD.

Open kombo-rom-u105.bin with it.

Scroll down to 0x7BE98.

kombo_rom_u105.jpg

Change C0 to 60.

Then go to 0x7BEA3, and change 60 to C0.

Profit?

Back