What's new

nem

Legendary
Reaction score
I recently got into 3D printing. What are you guys using for modeling?

I've been using FreeCAD. Am I using this software wrong? I've been solely using the part design workshop. My models consist of multiple sketches and I build them on top of each other. However, if I go back to previous sketch and modify it, it is very likely something will break in a later sketch. So far I've gotten around it by making sure my first sketches are 100%, but ultimately the more advanced the models get, the more likely I need to fix something in the beginning too.

Duplicating parts of a model is a complete PITA too.

If you're having no issues at all with FreeCAD, can you point me to a book or tutorial?

Or if you know something better, please let me know. Doesn't have to be free, but I probably can't justify paying for a license.

I have been using Fusion 360 for the past year. It is free for private use with some limitations. It is an incredible tool. Just watch a couple of videos and you should be good to go.

I have been using Fusion 360 for the past year. It is free for private use with some limitations. It is an incredible tool. Just watch a couple of videos and you should be good to go.
A-ha, now that you mentioned it, I swear someone recommended that before too, but I forgot.

Thanks!

I use Siemens NX but only because I use it for work and I'm familiar with it, I certainly wouldn't want to pay for a license for it. X/

I would definitely use Fusion 360 if not :thumbup:

I use SolidWorks personally, but that's because I have access to the (very expensive) License and have 20+ years experience with it.

I typically recommend Fusion360 to people who ask this question because there are thousands of guides out there on how to use it and it's very popular among 3D print designers so you'll find a lot of pointed advice and resources.

I have used FreeCAD, and the design methodology is similar to SolidWorks, but the implementation is much, much poorer. It's akin to comparing Photoshop with Gimp...

For really simple mocks and designs, TinkerCAD.com is the completely free version of Fusion360 provided by AutoDesk. Quite limited, but serviceable if you want to put time into your model.

Downside: cloud based only, no local client

+1 for TinkerCAD as a starting point. Simple and free. Feels limited at first but very capable of making anything I’ve needed it to.

I’ll have to check out Fusion360 if it’s a step up from TinkerCAD.

I use solidworks also for our lasers here @ work

so I can use it also for all the 3D models. As it’s like 8k a year in the license :(

I am using FreeCAD to design the PCB outlines for various projects, because it is much easier to accurately place holes and cutouts than with the built-in kicad editor. I wouldn't want to use it for anything more complicated, though.
It seems to be a bit crashy, and there is a good chance that the scenes goes into a weird state where you can't tell why it produces the results it does... At least in the version I'm using at the moment.

Yeah, I'm still using FreeCAD like an idiot. I've learned to work around the quirks.

I would use solidworks if I had a license, but alas freeware and open software only for me. I have used the Fusion 360 with their noncommercial license... but if I design something with it I shouldn't sell it right? I think that's what I clicked accept on, heh.

OpenSCAD is something I use frequently that hasn't been mentioned yet? It's essentially a scripted CAD. I think it's really useful if you want to do parametric based modeling where everything generated on geometric principles. Obviously it doesn't excel at organic shapes, but it is super useful for creating things out of geometric primitives and boolean operations. It is what I go to if I want to bust out a quick replacement part. For instance here is a part I made for the Giant Stacker machine:
1656842235049.png

1656842305485.png

I definitely recommend Fusion360.
Had no prior experience and after watching some youtube tutorials could design things like this:

I definitely recommend Fusion360.
Had no prior experience and after watching some youtube tutorials could design things like this:

Let me see you close that door :D

But yeah, looks good! Need to look into setting up my 3d printer as well, it's only been sitting in its box for almost 2 years...

Back