What's new

erzane

Professional
Reaction score
Hi there,
Can I wash the whole tube under the shower? Including the Yoke and all?
DSCN0075.JPG

DSCN0078.JPG

DSCN0084.JPG

DSCN0105.JPG

DSCN0083.JPG

DSCN0080.JPG

DSCN0107.JPG

Last edited:
Moisture in your tube / chassis can be super terrible. If you insist on washing it, as long as you keep it next to a running dehumidifier for a few days you should be good to go. I regularly wash older PCBs like K7000s before recapping, but I’ve not once had to wash a tube with water. You’re better off discharging and then using windex / some kind of disinfectant wipes to clean the tube and yoke.

I was in this situation six months ago with a really disgusting monitor.

Short answer is: There's a bit more to it but yes, you can, but be careful.

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/looking-for-monitor-cleaning-tips.13841/

I also want to reiterate that my experience was with a more recent monitor and I don't know what the reality is for aquadag stuff on older monitors. YMMV. Test on a small part, etc, etc.

Dark : This tube didn't run since last tuesday and it will not run until a month I guess. Can I leave it inside the appartment during that period without using a dehumidifier? If I can wash it, does it mean I can put water from my shower head inside the hole then inside the yoke too?
MV1 : I don't think aquadag can come off easely with only water, nor soap. Maybe?
Also, I'd like to clean that stuff on the center but it's not superficial. It don't looks like a burn but something behind the glass.

Last edited:
It's a sealed, air tight glass tube, no water will trickle inside it. I'm sure whatever moisture that is left will dry out in days, even without a dehumidifier

The aquadag coating won't come off with you just hosing it down. Just don't scrub on it. Wipe it down once or twice, or even better, pat it down with a cloth. Also, if you're using a brush, be careful with the windings and the permalloy strips that are glued to the yoke.

Ok, I'll follow your advise thanks!
What about that stain (or I don't know what is it) at the center of the monitor? It don't looks like a burn. I heard about it can be polished..

Attachments

• DSCN0109 - Copie.JPG
    DSCN0109 - Copie.JPG
    435.6 KB · Views: 100
Can I take off/clean that scratch in the antistatic coating?

I regularly hose them down. I don't scrub them just the water is enough to clean them up.

So there's a thin layer on the monitor that we can take off with a polish product. I didn't know that. So it's on the glass, but under the layer. Thanks for the link Nem.
Brad : you do it regulary?
Btw, here are some other pics, does my monitor have a lot of burn?
DSCN0145.JPG

DSCN0146.JPG

DSCN0147.JPG

DSCN0148.JPG

DSCN0149.JPG

Last edited:
Brad : you do it regulary?
Yes. Outside though with hose, not in shower. Tubes and chassis get washed. Chassis drip dry then get put on my IR PCB heater. Tubes air dry quickly enough on their own.

I actually washed a monitor the other week and meant to make a small video about it. Lemme see if I can slap something quick together for you and if not then I will just post pictures.

View: https://youtu.be/5nC3pFdz2wk

As promised. That was fast.

Please read the comments.

1. Make sure monitor is fully discharged!
2. Take note of all connections. Take pictures!
3. Use biodegradable Simple Green.
4. Wash with distilled water. I used a hose but also used distilled water afterwards. Regular water will leave sediments and minerals that could cause issues.
5. IMMEDIATELY dry. I recommend canned air. Here I use a gun I bought off Amazon that I use to clean the dust off my PC fans. Get every nook and cranny including screw post holes which have a habit of retaining water.
6. Do the same as above for the chassis and immediately dry.
7. End of video I finish it off with a recap of board.

Look how minty fresh the board is. You can even read the stickers you previously couldn't!

You don't need to set it in front of a humidifier. Dry it right away to prevent water creep or whatever. I have never had a problem cleaning monitors with the method above and they are all working wonderfully and a joy to work on without getting dirt, grime, anthrax or doodoo on your hands.

Thanks for your video.

We don't have Simple Green in my country : is this one ok?
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Simple-Gree...9ojgmFnz4O8H_nbYaAA08GvT7MZl5rk0aAh3cEALw_wcB

I'll not use this monitor until 1 month after have washing it. Do I really need that dry gun?
About distilled water : what's that?
Also, is the shower also ok? A light shower (I don't have any garden so I simply don't have a hose since I'd like to wash it in my bathroom)

Thanks for your video.

We don't have Simple Green in my country : is this one ok?
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Simple-Gree...9ojgmFnz4O8H_nbYaAA08GvT7MZl5rk0aAh3cEALw_wcB

I'll not use this monitor until 1 month after have washing it. Do I really need that dry gun?
About distilled water : what's that?
Also, is the shower also ok? A light shower (I don't have any garden so I simply don't have a hose since I'd like to wash it in my bathroom)
As long as it's biodegradable which that one looks like it is. You should find something not so strong.

You don't need the dry gun, just make sure you let it dry plenty before you hook it back up.

If you don't have a way to dry the chassis pcb then maybe use a lamp or sun to dry it.

Distilled water is water that does not have any minerals in it. You can usually find it at a grocery store. It is not usually meant for drinking.

I am not sure how your water is in your country. Some water is soft or hard. Some has lots of minerals, sediments, deposits, calcium, etc. Use your best judgement.

Back