What's new

Killerinstinct69

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i have a board with no sound but worked booted up.. then i pushed down on the soundboard a eprom to see if i could check the chips.. then now i get a white screen?? No led on main board nothing and i can smell the pcb alo. Heres a pic

Attachments

• B25578D5-92C1-4F30-9377-9FAA5CFAC84A.jpeg
    B25578D5-92C1-4F30-9377-9FAA5CFAC84A.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 43
Check your power connections and eye for anything that's heating up, busted caps, chips missing legs or bulges on your boards, also if there's any burn marks, etc.

Was the sound board mounted on top of the main PCB? When pushing down, you might have accidently shorted something perhaps?

Being able to "smell" something when getting nothing on the screen is never a good thing unfortunately. You could "sniff" around the board and isolate if any particular component is fried.

Check your power connections and eye for anything that's heating up, busted caps, chips missing legs or bulges on your boards, also if there's any burn marks, etc.

Was the sound board mounted on top of the main PCB? When pushing down, you might have accidently shorted something perhaps?

Being able to "smell" something when getting nothing on the screen is never a good thing unfortunately. You could "sniff" around the board and isolate if any particular component is fried.
No it was not on mainboard i even unplugged the soundboard to see if it works nothing no red led light still white screen ? Ya the main pcb smells its odd i pushed down on a chip on the sound and now the main is messed up?

That’s sucks. Could be so many things. A dodgy cable perhaps?

Best to try isolate the issue and use you’re eyes, multimeter and possibly logic probe to find out what went/is wrong. It’s probably not advised to power up the PCB until you’ve figured it out.

That’s sucks. Could be so many things. A dodgy cable perhaps?

Best to try isolate the issue and use you’re eyes, multimeter and possibly logic probe to find out what went/is wrong. It’s probably not advised to power up the PCB until you’ve figured it out.
Smells coming from this

Attachments

• E8FABAC1-2FBC-462E-A39D-68F12243A675.jpeg
    E8FABAC1-2FBC-462E-A39D-68F12243A675.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 76
When you said you smelled smoke, I was afraid of that. That’s the main CPU.

start with this, disconnect the sound board completely and all harnesses. MK2 will run fine without it, just wont have sound.

next remove and inspect, then reinstall the chip you say smells funny. you'll want to use an appropriate IC puller for it and not just pry it out with a screwdriver or something.
while you're at it , pull inspect and reinstall the other 4-sided socketed chip while you're at it.

check for burn marks, signs of oxidation (all of the pins of both the chip and the socket should be look shiny and polished). Also check that none of the pins look mis-aligned, crooked or pushed in too far (on both the chip and the socket). and check for cracks in the socket, especially in the corners. The plastic can become brittle over time the corners will crack and then it doesn't make good contact on the pins anymore.

Once you've done that try powering it back up without the sound board or any of the sub-harneses, see if it boots and check the 5V and -5V pins on the JAMMA edge.

Anyway i can bring back to life?
We
start with this, disconnect the sound board completely and all harnesses. MK2 will run fine without it, just wont have sound.

next remove and inspect, then reinstall the chip you say smells funny. you'll want to use an appropriate IC puller for it and not just pry it out with a screwdriver or something.
while you're at it , pull inspect and reinstall the other 4-sided socketed chip while you're at it.

check for burn marks, signs of oxidation (all of the pins of both the chip and the socket should be look shiny and polished). Also check that none of the pins look mis-aligned, crooked or pushed in too far (on both the chip and the socket). and check for cracks in the socket, especially in the corners. The plastic can become brittle over time the corners will crack and then it doesn't make good contact on the pins anymore.

Once you've done that try powering it back up without the sound board or any of the sub-harneses, see if it boots and check the 5V and -5V pins on the JAMMA edge.

Well the mk2 board plug in still does the white screen also no soundboard

I spotted this new to me

Attachments

• B0150205-F17F-4906-B356-4363CD7D74BB.jpeg
    B0150205-F17F-4906-B356-4363CD7D74BB.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 88
I spotted this new to me
Looks like you fried one of the voltage rails, considering how fat that trace is. You could use a multimeter to figure out whether it's 5V or 12V, I doubt it's -5V.

Either way, you'll need to patch that trace. You may want to have someone more experienced take a look at this, considering there could be more extensive damage judging by that spectacular failure.

Looks like you fried one of the voltage rails, considering how fat that trace is. You could use a multimeter to figure out whether it's 5V or 12V, I doubt it's -5V.

Either way, you'll need to patch that trace. You may want to have someone more experienced take a look at this, considering there could be more extensive damage judging by that spectacular failure.
How do you repair a trace? Ill try my self

you have a serious problem if you cooked a trace that fat. it looks like a main voltage line right off the JAMMA edge.
I'm pretty sure that's the 5V feed to the sound board power connector.

repairing the trace isn't a problem, it's a symptom, you need the find the root cause and fix that otherwise your trace will just blow up again.

the large metal coil near the sound board power connector, when you were pushing around did you accidentally short the sound board or something else against that?

you have a serious problem if you cooked a trace that fat. it looks like a main voltage line right off the JAMMA edge.
I'm pretty sure that's the 5V feed to the sound board power connector.

repairing the trace isn't a problem, it's a symptom, you need the find the root cause and fix that otherwise your trace will just blow up again.

the large metal coil near the sound board power connector, when you were pushing around did you accidentally short the sound board or something else against that?
No i just pushed down on a soundboard chip and it did that somehow? Not even the same board? Lol

No i just pushed down on a soundboard chip and it did that somehow? Not even the same board? Lol
My guy, there is ABSOLUTELY no way that you get a white screen of death off pushing down a soundboard rom. My brother in Christ, you can play it without the soundboard entirely.

When you pushed the soundboard rom down did it drag the main board inadvertently? Could you have hit something else nearby and caused a short by bumping into it?

Because you’re saying you’re smelling smoke, have broken traces, etc. off the soundboard, it’s like saying “I bumped into the garage door” and I go outside and your car is on its hood ripped in 2.

Back