What's new
I heard there was a NSFW pic in this thread and that fat trace did not disappoint!

You should also double check your power supply is providing the correct output.
you have a serious problem if you cooked a trace that fat. it looks like a main voltage line right off the JAMMA edge.
I'm pretty sure that's the 5V feed to the sound board power connector.

repairing the trace isn't a problem, it's a symptom, you need the find the root cause and fix that otherwise your trace will just blow up again.

the large metal coil near the sound board power connector, when you were pushing around did you accidentally short the sound board or something else against that?

I'm with twistedsymphony on this, the board WAS working prior albeit without sound. It's likely when they pressed down on the sound board, they must've somehow bridged a voltage to ground and *poof*

They will definitely need to determine if there's other ICs that were cooked because if they're shorted to ground they could see this happen again.

My guy, there is ABSOLUTELY no way that you get a white screen of death off pushing down a soundboard rom. My brother in Christ, you can play it without the soundboard entirely.

When you pushed the soundboard rom down did it drag the main board inadvertently? Could you have hit something else nearby and caused a short by bumping into it?

Because you’re saying you’re smelling smoke, have broken traces, etc. off the soundboard, it’s like saying “I bumped into the garage door” and I go outside and your car is on its hood ripped in 2.
heh indeed, this is a seriously error here, something like this would be a significant short that was present for several seconds to a minute to heat up and burn through a trace that size.
either there is a massive short on the sound board, like a metal plate bridging 5V and ground, or something happened like the power connector for the sound board was plugged in backwards or off-pin causing such a short.

heh indeed, this is a seriously error here, something like this would be a significant short that was present for several seconds to a minute to heat up and burn through a trace that size.
either there is a massive short on the sound board, like a metal plate bridging 5V and ground, or something happened like the power connector for the sound board was plugged in backwards or off-pin causing such a short.
A few seconds is definitely all it needs.

Once (and only once), I made the mistake of not making sure my JAMMA connector was properly seated on a CPS2 and fired it up. Turns out the connector had a little side-to-side play in it so Ground and 5V got bridged; board was thankfully fine but it completely obliterated the 5V finger on the CPS2 in just a few seconds, as well as cooked my PSU.

indeed this is not just a burnt trace the copper is obliterated here, and given that the weakest link the short circuit is what burns up and the thickness of this trace it means that the short was even bulkier and a stronger connection.

I'm not sure why you think I'm arguring with you. I'm using your anicdote as evidence that OP's situation is similar.

My guy, there is ABSOLUTELY no way that you get a white screen of death off pushing down a soundboard rom. My brother in Christ, you can play it without the soundboard entirely.

When you pushed the soundboard rom down did it drag the main board inadvertently? Could you have hit something else nearby and caused a short by bumping into it?

Because you’re saying you’re smelling smoke, have broken traces, etc. off the soundboard, it’s like saying “I bumped into the garage door” and I go outside and your car is on its hood ripped in 2.
Look while it was plugged in connected to the soundboard and on the boot screen i pushed on on the eprom and it did that idk what else and how to explain it

indeed this is not just a burnt trace the copper is obliterated here, and given that the weakest link the short circuit is what burns up and the thickness of this trace it means that the short was even bulkier and a stronger connection.
Can i fix it by a wire? If i sodder one in ? Or dont they make pcb trace pens?

Heres a pic My power supply, so mk4 works fine ulmk3 works fine ki2 works fine also

Attachments

• EF0B00D3-7E46-4710-BE0E-4A0F1453FFAD.jpeg
    EF0B00D3-7E46-4710-BE0E-4A0F1453FFAD.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 47
Can i fix it by a wire? If i sodder one in ? Or dont they make pcb trace pens?
A wire would be a proper fix, but before you do that you'll need to determine what caused the burned trace in the first place.

Imagine you burned your hand by pulling something out of the oven without an oven mit., sure you can heal the burn, but it's not going to do you any good if you go right back to grabbing things out of the oven without a mit again.

Heres a pic My power supply, so mk4 works fine ulmk3 works fine ki2 works fine also
That's good to know, but you'll still want to use a multi-meter to confirm voltages. An out of range voltage might work fine on some PCBs but damage others.

A wire would be a proper fix, but before you do that you'll need to determine what caused the burned trace in the first place.

Imagine you burned your hand by pulling something out of the oven without an oven mit., sure you can heal the burn, but it's not going to do you any good if you go right back to grabbing things out of the oven without a mit again.

That's good to know, but you'll still want to use a multi-meter to confirm voltages. An out of range voltage might work fine on some PCBs but damage others.
I think it happen cuz it got yanked on short

Back