What's new

Hackcell

Grand Master
Reaction score
Hello,

Recently, got a MS9-29A fully recapped. Today, I noriced the image starts to shake and "collapsing" at some moments. Does anybody else has experienced this issue? What would you suggest me to start checking, bsides cold solder joint.

Thanks!

I used to have similar situation where my MS8-29 had shaky image as you can see in the picture. The fix was that I tighten one of the flyback anode pin and applied silicon to the cap to prevent the air from getting in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211004-121116_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211004-121116_Gallery.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 111
Most likely you have one or two broken or cold soder joints under the little grey driver transfirmer wich is in the H. Stage, just in front of the HOT transistor, pay attention at mucrifractures .. . Something fixeable in 5 sec

root cause could be irregular HV; lower HV = wider image. What both previous posters have mentioned are things that would either leak or limit current to the anode, which is the path by which electrons return from the gun.

I wrote in my MS9 page about some basic maintenance and one thing you should do if you have not yet is simply go over the chassis and assert the status of the solder joints of most components. I see in your first post you mention checking solder points, but it should still be brought up.

http://mikejmoffitt.com/pages/ms9-hax/#service

It is also possible that your HOT is either close to failure, or making poor contact. On a chassis like this, the horizontal drive process and the HV generation are best friends and always cooperate. Again, before thinking too hard about it, give it a good look-over for solder joints and replace the capacitors. If you don't do those two things, then other diagnosis is kind of a waste of time imo.

Back