What's new

diosleon

Student
Reaction score
Hello my fellow hobbyists! I was wondering if you guys had a way to put multiple PCBs inside one candy cab. So, if you wanted to switch games, you would just plug the jamma harness and a respective kick harness if needed.

Thank you!

you would just plug the jamma harness and a respective kick harness if needed.
JAMMA switchers exist so you don't even need to do that (just press a button).
The biggest issue with multiple PCBs is in fact one of size.

I own Vewlix cabs, inside I often have trouble using even one PCB at a time.
Take for example CPS2, its so long I need to diagonal the board or I can't close the door.
I owned a Primal Rage, I sold it because I could NOT store even this one single game board in my cabs.

So yea, more than one PCB in a candy body isn't easy or recommended (just swap the damn boards).

Thank you for your switch suggestions. However, my concern was more regarding space management. I want to know people who have more than one PCB on their candies with our without a switcher

Depends on the candy. The vewlix would have room for more boards if the middle horizontal plank board was removed and boards were stored vertically but it would depend on the length of the boards in question.

If you mean a blast city or astro, you have to contend with power supply in the way and the existing mounting board inside. I am sure if you were to relocate the power supply to inside closer to the wall somehow you could fit an additional few. I haven't really tried to do this yet but have given it some thought.

I was trying to do that with my new astro.... and yeah everyone is right. Space is a bitch in there. Same with vewlix. I ended up consolizing my vewlix an manage to fit a ps4 and nintendo switch. And for the new astro I just put my favorite jamma board i play the most and if I feel like playing another game I just switch boards.

The vewlix would have room for more boards if the middle horizontal plank board was removed and boards were stored vertically but it would depend on the length of the boards in question.
I did consider this, problem was even with the center shelf removed you then need to move the cab power supply and JVS power supply (assuming you are using a Jammafier like me to adapter JAMMA boards to JVS).

Its still 10lbs of shit stuffed into a 5lbs bag.
I'd be afraid the next issue would be overheating components because everything is packed so tightly.

I've kind of wondered something similar, where I could perhaps make a matrix style switcher to go to multiple cabs from multiple PCBs stored in a rack. Main issues being power, and voltage drop from cabling depending on how long the wires are. I do still wonder about the feasibility of such a setup though.

Sanwa made two official switchers that are very high quality, the TW-2 (JAMMA) and the TW-2N (JAMMA + JVS). If you can track either of these down they are worth the money.

Here are some (cursed) photos of it with Ketsui and Galuda installed at the same time. And here is a video of the switching in action.

The space between the JAMMA connectors is approx 75mm. After this photo, I purchased some M3x75mm aluminum standoffs to replace the nylon tower in these pics.

In terms of space management, it mounted quite easily inside an Egret 2. I imagine if you are using boards that are different shapes and dimensions though it could get tricky!

PXL_20220426_181709346.jpgPXL_20220426_181724439.jpgPXL_20220426_202515306.jpgPXL_20220426_202522100.jpg

Regarding having multiple boards in one cab, I’ve been able to fit 4 boards in an Astro City at once.

I’m utilizing the space behind the coin door by installing a wood shelf designed by @Softdrink https://github.com/Softdrink117/new-astro-city-cashbox-shelf

23FFE976-31D7-4E98-809A-D970B11B335B.jpeg

1EBBC7E7-81B5-4358-AD74-C2308AA29A72.jpeg

Works well for boards that have multiple parts like the Naomi.
AFE2F4DA-2A53-4DB6-85D4-6B7FADBFCF68.jpeg

I’ve been able to put 2 beside the PSU, and 2 stacked on the coin shelf.

I'm going to be making a bunch of boards and bought tons of L shaped pcb holders so that whenever I want to slide a pcb out I can do so effortlessly and just put it on a make shift rack and load in the next pcb thats drilled onto the next board on L shaped stand offs (on ebay about $7 for 40-50ish). I can't think of an easier way other than Opt2nots solution which is a good one as well.

You should count how long it takes to swap a pcb.
Then ask yourself if its worth it.

If it really is so hard , you can get a mistercade ;) they are pretty small!

I'm going to be making a bunch of boards and bought tons of L shaped pcb holders so that whenever I want to slide a pcb out I can do so effortlessly and just put it on a make shift rack and load in the next pcb thats drilled onto the next board on L shaped stand offs (on ebay about $7 for 40-50ish). I can't think of an easier way other than Opt2nots solution which is a good one as well.
Got a link to these L shaped holders?

I've been wanting to mount some boards to a board and have the metal C shaped metal slider rails that they go into in a cabinet but don't know what they are called or who would sell them.

Got a link to these L shaped holders?

I've been wanting to mount some boards to a board and have the metal C shaped metal slider rails that they go into in a cabinet but don't know what they are called or who would sell them.
I guess they're just pcb stand offs?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3135122467...Hc05ez7QuS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

But these on individual wooden board mounts would be a clean solution to swap out pcbs instantly. I have about 15 pcbs that I would use these for so not terrible especially after building a mount or rack to store them when not being used and then easily slid back into the cabinet rail for easy swapping.
This and all my multis should keep me sorted.

Oh I thought you were referencing the rails. Yes you should always carry a bag of those feet :)

Regarding having multiple boards in one cab, I’ve been able to fit 4 boards in an Astro City at once.

I’m utilizing the space behind the coin door by installing a wood shelf designed by @Softdrink https://github.com/Softdrink117/new-astro-city-cashbox-shelf

Works well for boards that have multiple parts like the Naomi.

I’ve been able to put 2 beside the PSU, and 2 stacked on the coin shelf.
Always glad to see people making use of it! :thumbsup:

There's a thread here about it too, with a couple more pictures than the github repo.

(Also just realized I forgot to add final photos to the shelf repo and thread... eek! I'll try to do that in the next couple days) OK, updated!

I have a couple more ideas for how to use this shelf space, but IRL stuff has been keeping me busy; when I have time with the cab lately it's more fun to play on it than to tinker. But hopefully soon I'll have some spare moments and can poke at it a bit more.

Last edited:
Back