What's new

Jimd0585

Beginner
Reaction score
Merry Christmas everyone.

I just turned on my consolized MVS and it went to a crosshatch test mode. This has never happened before. I looked it up and apparently thhappens. I see no busted traces or issues with battery acid. The thing worked 3 days ago. I have a NEOSD cart and mvs magician lord. Neither work. I included a picture of the board. I don’t see anything wrong with the pins and I don’t even think this has a battery on it. I admkt this is an aliexpress cbox but I’ve never had issues. Any suggestions?

i took another pic of one of the chips. To the naked eye it looks perfect, in the photo it looks questionable. However I don’t this that’s the issue.

if it is the pins, how do I clean the, on the board?
thanks

C23DE1A1-F5CE-4ED5-A4A5-60C6A7560477.jpeg
image.jpg

Ah Aliexpress. I love you and I hate you. I have been cradled gently in your arms and maimed by your affections.

Looks like this guy has had a lot of work done to it at some stage so the problem could be anywhere.

the “Crosshatch of death” which you describe basically means the NeoGeo thinks there is nothing in the cart slot. So boots to the bios test pattern instead. The causes you have listed are all the right ones so you are on the right track. This is much more likely to be mechanical damage than a bad chip.

Normally I would clean the cart edge with alcohol and a q-tip, then the cart slot with a clean lint-free, tightly woven piece of cloth wrapped around a credit card.

I’m not very confident that’s going to fix the problem, but it’s super easy to do so it’s a good place to start.

Ah Aliexpress. I love you and I hate you. I have been cradled gently in your arms and maimed by your affections.

Looks like this guy has had a lot of work done to it at some stage so the problem could be anywhere.

the “Crosshatch of death” which you describe basically means the NeoGeo thinks there is nothing in the cart slot. So boots to the bios test pattern instead. The causes you have listed are all the right ones so you are on the right track. This is much more likely to be mechanical damage than a bad chip.

Normally I would clean the cart edge with alcohol and a q-tip, then the cart slot with a clean lint-free, tightly woven piece of cloth wrapped around a credit card.

I’m not very confident that’s going to fix the problem, but it’s super easy to do so it’s a good place to start.
Thanks. I tried both already about 20 minutes ago with no success. I’ll try again. Yeah, I know Ali express is showdy but it has worked flawlessly till now. is it possible that the neosd could have saved a preference somehow to the unibios to boot to test mode?

if I can’t get it working after cleaning are there any guys that do mail in diagnostics and repairs?

I‘m starting to wonder if it is that corner chip… would that cause the issue I’m having if that chip was fried?
6653EC67-B5D6-423A-ABBD-336C5ADE5DA9.jpeg

Google Pics of the MV1C show it on there
Sorry - I was not clear. Yes it’s perfectly standard on the MV1C. Previous revisions of the board had seperate chips for sound, synth and ram. On the 1C it looks like SNK made a great big custom chip to consolidate all the sound “stuff” into one place.
The point is that all of the functions on this chip are tied up with audio. So it’s unlikely that a fault on this is the source of your Jailbars Of Doom.

Sorry - I was not clear. Yes it’s perfectly standard on the MV1C. Previous revisions of the board had seperate chips for sound, synth and ram. On the 1C it looks like SNK made a great big custom chip to consolidate all the sound “stuff” into one place.
The point is that all of the functions on this chip are tied up with audio. So it’s unlikely that a fault on this is the source of your Jailbars Of Doom.
Thank you! That helps narrow it down

Clean the cart slot and games with Deoxit D5. It sounds like the board is fine.

Isopropyl Alcohol on a lint-free cloth, wrapped around an old credit card (or similar) worked well for me in the past.

Back