What's new

Evan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday I accidentally left my MVS on over night. It was still running when I checked it but it crashed as soon as I touched the cart. I reset the board but now I am getting a watchdog error. Attached is a video. Anyone have any ideas on where to start looking?

Video:
View: https://youtu.be/3FxLGyzQqnE?si=bq9wUiZCm78kpkDD

Attachments

• IMG_1199.jpeg
    IMG_1199.jpeg
    411.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1200.jpeg
    IMG_1200.jpeg
    435.6 KB · Views: 15
Wow, that sucks. It's got to be something really minor. These boards are old, but leaving them on all night shouldn't hurt anything.

I would gently re-seat the bios to start.

Wow, that sucks. It's got to be something really minor. These boards are old, but leaving them on all night shouldn't hurt anything.

I would gently re-seat the bios to start.
Would a diag bios perhaps help

There are some absolute troubleshooting rockstars on this board. I dont consider myself one of them, but I'm working on it.

Normally the watchdog tick of death at power up means "I can't boot and I'm going to keep trying".
But what's in the video is not like any watchdog I've heard before, normally it a fast click (8hz), that one sounds slower.

Is it coming out multiple times per second in a regular rythum tick tick tick

or is it more like every few seconds tick wait tick wait tick?

There are some absolute troubleshooting rockstars on this board. I dont consider myself one of them, but I'm working on it.

Normally the watchdog tick of death at power up means "I can't boot and I'm going to keep trying".
But what's in the video is not like any watchdog I've heard before, normally it a fast click (8hz), that one sounds slower.

Is it coming out multiple times per second in a regular rythum tick tick tick

or is it more like every few seconds tick wait tick wait tick?
Yeah this one is super slow, and inconsistent. Sometimes just stays at a black screen and sometimes works.

After turning it on again now the watch dog reset is faster and not much wait. however if I remove the bios and run the console without one the reset is still much faster than if the bios is inserted.

After turning it on again now the watch dog reset is faster and not much wait. however if I remove the bios and run the console without one the reset is still much faster than if the bios is inserted.
Try replacing the bios chip.
BB

What kind of setup do you have?
This could be a power supply issue.
BB
I’m using just some Chinese arcade power supply. I read 5.1V from the 5V terminal, and 13.8V from the 12V terminal. My other pcbs work fine

Inspect for a bad chip.
Turn the unit on ,allow it to stay on for awhile then feel on the tops of the SMT'S ,the big flat chips and see if any of them get really hot to the touch.
BB

Last edited:
Finally used the diag bios today and got this error. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1351.jpeg
    IMG_1351.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 17
Back