What's new

mugen_ketsueki

Professional
Reaction score
Just recent had to time to play the game. And when booted it's not showing no sprites on screen. Not sure if it's a chip or something else. Could use the help

Attachments

• 20220113_171517.jpg
    20220113_171517.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 73
Very bad solder joints on these things... Place the board on a flat non-conductive surface. Turn it on. Apply pressure to the 55555 and the other chip like it and see if glitches appear. Alternatively, gently (gently!) touch the pins of the chips. With dry hands of course.
If glitches appear, reflowing the offending chip may fix the issue.

Oh, another thing. If either chip is *hot* it's shorted and therefore dead.
Maybe we should start taking temperature measurements of normal functioning chips for reference. What do you think @Hammy ?

I don't think they die of heat, more like fujitsu poisoning inside the chip or dry joints / crap on the joints causing latch up / cooked state.

I'll try reflowing the chips, as far as heat none is burning hot to the touch. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I don't think they die of heat, more like fujitsu poisoning inside the chip or dry joints / crap on the joints causing latch up / cooked state.
Maybe my wording wasn't the clearest. I was suggesting getting the normal running temperature range of good ones to compare with suspected bad ones. It would help with basic troubleshooting I think.

So I found the guilty party, it's the sprite generator 055673 I pressed down on it while supporting it from the bottom and got some foreground sprites coming back. I went and head and fully reflowed the chip but it made no differenct, I am thinking it's bad or maybe some of the vias around it or traces are bad.

lift it,
clean the traces and check for damage,
re-tin the legs on the chip and re-fit it
i'v had that type of issue with a midnight resistance

So I found the guilty party, it's the sprite generator 055673 I pressed down on it while supporting it from the bottom and got some foreground sprites coming back. I went and head and fully reflowed the chip but it made no differenct, I am thinking it's bad or maybe some of the vias around it or traces are bad.
It's not bad if the sprites came back. There's probably a bad via or pad connection underneath the chip itself. Proceed as @stj described and check if the vias connected to the pads have continuity before resoldering the chip.

I had 3 of these and none of them had the whole maskrom set working, there was even some that were all FF in the hex.
try also the test, it might help

there seems to be a big problem with konami 16bit mask roms in general when looking through online repair logs!!
if i had a bad konami board with 16bit roms - it would be the first thing to check.

Early Konami 16bit seems stable in my experience, TMNT, Sunset, Crime Fight.
Its the later stuff, Simpsons, Mystics, Cowboys, TMNT2, Martial Champ that seem to develop various sprite layer issues.

Early Konami 16bit seems stable in my experience, TMNT, Sunset, Crime Fight.
Its the later stuff, Simpsons, Mystics, Cowboys, TMNT2, Martial Champ that seem to develop various sprite layer issues.
Unfortunately I’ve see early 16bit boards have the same issues.
TMNT and Vendetta being my examples. I did a custom swap on a Vendetta just last year from a donor board.

Attachments

• 841A26AB-D6FB-404D-8C77-A93DBA398C30.jpeg
    841A26AB-D6FB-404D-8C77-A93DBA398C30.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 5DAC57FD-8D72-41AC-9435-1062195BC407.jpeg
    5DAC57FD-8D72-41AC-9435-1062195BC407.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 072D1AAE-36BB-4E6D-8886-2FF8745A4A9C.jpeg
    072D1AAE-36BB-4E6D-8886-2FF8745A4A9C.jpeg
    277.8 KB · Views: 58
  • E0CF22BF-07FE-44F8-805B-DAA41C5FF3EE.jpeg
    E0CF22BF-07FE-44F8-805B-DAA41C5FF3EE.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 63
Reflow the chips around the one you pressed on. You flexed the board when pressing.

Reflow the chips around the one you pressed on. You flexed the board when pressing.

It's not bad if the sprites came back. There's probably a bad via or pad connection underneath the chip itself. Proceed as @stj described and check if the vias connected to the pads have continuity before resoldering the chip.
Sprites would show but gliteched out, forgot to mention that.

Back