What's new

Riptide6801

Beginner
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm having some issues with my build.

I'm using:
-namco 256
-jamma pcb
-twisted quarter power supply
-twisted quarter jamma harness
-gsb2000 video converter
-happ buttons
-Soul Calibur 2 (w/both dongles)

Now for my issues. When I go into the test menu no buttons work, I was aiming for input test. The exception is P1 start, when pressed it drops to save and exit. Pressed again the game leaves the menu.

While checking various things in the menu, the screen slowly fades until I can't see anything. Leaving and returning resets progress.

The game itself, is displaying japanese text and the speech sounds like japanese characters instead of the classic sounds of the us arcade version.

I need advice, I'm kind of at a loss for direction on correcting my problems.

I feel like the fading may be tied to a dying motherboard on the 256. And I'm stuck on the controls not working, but start working in the menu. If I could get it in to free play I could test it that way. But I have no coin door installed to trigger coin input.

I dunno about a fix, but I how about a trade? I got:

- A Namco System 246B that works, although the picture seems noisier than my 246C
- Soul Calibur 2 (English) with both dongles
- A Namco I/O board with harness, if you really really need it (I also tested the 246B with another Namco I/O and the picture wasn't any clearer)

If you just wanted to trade games, that'd be cool too, but I'd really love a second 256. I'm willing to risk a broken 256 for the arcade version of Soul Calibur 2 with Japanese voices.

I probably figured out the reason for the video noise in some 246 b systems. I have one that has an extremely clean picture, but the other ones have video noise. Turns out that some diode has popped as a result of a short, sort of as protection from a power surge. I fixed one of mine by changing the diodes on the Namco motherboard. It seems that a lot of Namco System 246bs have that I have come across have this issue.

I'm not willing to part with it just yet. Might end up there.

Right now, I need to get this sorted out. I have the 256 connected to my jamma pcb board. Video is coming out of the 256, to a gsb2000, to the LCD tv.

Gonna start looking on Ebay lol

Can you be more specific on what "jamma pcb board" you are using? with pictures of your setup if possible?

and if you bypass the gsb and plug directly to the lcd, how's your screen?

If no buttons work except Start, maybe check your wiring? I did a "retro-style" arcade stick build from Allfightsticks recently and I actually had to look up how to wire up American-style buttons. (Why are there three prongs when we only need two? Jeez!)

And FWIW, I connect my 256 this way:

Namco System 256 > VGA > OSSC

With the dip switches set this way:

UP-DOWN-DOWN-DOWN

Definitely check a direct VGA connection to a monitor with different dip switch settings to try to find a setup that works (I forget if you need to power cycle for the effect to take place). From The Guru:

Switch 1:
On - Test Mode
Off - Game Mode

Switch 2 (RGB output level, set ON if the picture is dark):
On - 0.7Vp-p (use for 31.5k monitor)
Off - 3.0Vp-p (use for 15k monitor)

Switch 3 (Monitor horizontal sync freq):
On - 31.5kHz
Off - 15.75kHz

Switch 4 (Video sync signal):
On - Separate
Off - Composite

Ok so it's a namco pcb board, and the video card isn't mounted in its final location.

When I tested with out the video board, video was spotty and quite hard to see.

I'm leaving for work in a second, but can talk most of the night.
20210101_173205.jpg
20210101_173213.jpg
20210101_173219.jpg

Probably the settings on your gbs8200 converter board are wrong, not having the correct clamp setting on your converter can cause the video to fade to a purple or white screen. Try changing your clamp settings.

*update*
Adjusting the clamp seems to have fixed my fading issues.

Now I'm fearing that my 256 mobo maybe on its last leg. I checked and checked connections, wires, switches and still have 0 control responses. Wired up the coin wires to a cherry switch to see if that would work, no luck.

And now, flipping the dip switch for the test menu doesn't bring up the menu.

A bit frustrating, but I have begun pricing system 246/256 systems as this appears to be my next step.

Bought a 246C, that way I can check controls with a ps2 controller if somehow the buttons still aren't responding

You dont need tge gonbes conver to plug it in a lcd monitor , ,the dipswitch must be in on like 234 and still work fine, if problem still persist , thebutton on your led/lcd monitor try to push to AUTO it will adjust the monitor or the resolution, unless theres a problem in the 256 board like a very small fuse or microfuse that affects thefading issue, i have seen they fix the peoblem gere in the forum a simple solder fix for it

Not sure if the tv they’re using has a vga input, I have found that a mono price vga to hdmi converter works wonderfully though.

246c came in today. Swapped it over, and it still wont let me use the dip switch to get into test mode. the ps2 controller doesn't do anything and the controls still aren't responding.

And now I have an error on screen. I believe it wiped out my conquest dongle data.

Forgive the reflection, the screen still has the plastic covering until I'm done.

Attachments

• 20210119_144955.jpg
    20210119_144955.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 150
So, more research done...

I'm dumb, everything is in Japanese including character voices, due to me having dongle a (Japan version). So I'm now on the hunt for version C. I have other problems, but at least that would get me to the right version I want.

I think my conquest dongle is corrupt. And the actual game dongle is a, and it's been tested (using each of the different versions [a, b, and c]). And that this is why it has japanese text and says only for use in Japan. That wouldn't be there using the version C.

Yep, your dongle is Japanese region version of the game. I don’t think dongle revision matters with soul calibur 2, everything can be controlled by the disc like soul calibur 3 and tekken 5, it’s not like tekken 4. But don’t quote me on that, I’m pretty sure the Japanese versions for SC2 work differently. I have 2 English versions of the game, a version A and a version C that has been converted to a version D. I can have any version of the game dongle buy the disc is what unlocks everything. I just understood what you wrote. Like I said, I have an extra dongle with its memory card, I might be willing to sell it.

I still want to swap my English SC2 for a Japanese version of SC2 to match my Japanese SC3.

View: https://youtu.be/VMRg0nWv1IQ

And anyway, my game says Ver. D but my dongle says Ver. A. Not sure what that means for what I want, though...

Attachments

• IMG_4393a.jpg
    IMG_4393a.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4448a.jpg
    IMG_4448a.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 140
Most likely disc revision :) I know my version C is a version D because I tried a soul calibur 2 dvd0 disc which has everything locked and everything was unlocked. I thought it was cool.

Back