What's new
I still want to swap my English SC2 for a Japanese version of SC2 to match my Japanese SC3.

View: https://youtu.be/VMRg0nWv1IQ

And anyway, my game says Ver. D but my dongle says Ver. A. Not sure what that means for what I want, though...
I also have a Japanese soul calibur 3, but I also managed to find an English version, tbh, the Japanese voices are better, the English voices sound kinda annoying. Maybe it’s because I got used to the Japanese version lol! :)

I also have a Japanese soul calibur 3, but I also managed to find an English version, tbh, the Japanese voices are better, the English voices sound kinda annoying. Maybe it’s because I got used to the Japanese version lol! :)
I remember when I bought my Soulcalibur 3 on eBay, the Hong Kong-based seller asked me if I wanted English or Japanese voices, and I chose Japanese without a second thought. I just wanted to be consistent, since Soulcalibur on the Dreamcast only had Japanese voices. And going back even further, Soul Edge on the PlayStation (but not Soul Blade) had all Japanese voices as well.

Thinking about it though, maybe he gave me a choice because the language switch really was as simple as burning a different disc? After all, it's the dongles that are hard to come by. My SC3 disc looked real enough, so had I chosen English, maybe I would've gotten a disc with Sharpie writing. Hopefully I can switch languages just as easily with SC2, but I've never burned a System 2x6 disc before.

I remember when I bought my Soulcalibur 3 on eBay, the Hong Kong-based seller asked me if I wanted English or Japanese voices, and I chose Japanese without a second thought. I just wanted to be consistent, since Soulcalibur on the Dreamcast only had Japanese voices. And going back even further, Soul Edge on the PlayStation (but not Soul Blade) had all Japanese voices as well.

Thinking about it though, maybe he gave me a choice because the language switch really was as simple as burning a different disc? After all, it's the dongles that are hard to come by. My SC3 disc looked real enough, so had I chosen English, maybe I would've gotten a disc with Sharpie writing. Hopefully I can switch languages just as easily with SC2, but I've never burned a System 2x6 disc before.
Nope, voices are based on the dongle region, all the games except the 256 tekken 5 games share the same disc. That means that the disc contains both languages but only the dongle tells the system what region the dongle is from and which language to use.

I most definitely would be interested in buying a new pair of dongles, especially if its version C on it.

I'll look around and find the post that person did with the different dongle version. When I do, I'll link it here.

Yep, your dongle is Japanese region version of the game. I don’t think dongle revision matters with soul calibur 2, everything can be controlled by the disc like soul calibur 3 and tekken 5, it’s not like tekken 4. But don’t quote me on that, I’m pretty sure the Japanese versions for SC2 work differently. I have 2 English versions of the game, a version A and a version C that has been converted to a version D. I can have any version of the game dongle buy the disc is what unlocks everything. I just understood what you wrote. Like I said, I have an extra dongle with its memory card, I might be willing to sell it.
Definitely let me know if you are seriously considering selling please.

Saved some searching through that post. Here's the meaty part.

Resolution over the region question!!!
R1=JP
R2=EXPORT
R3=USA
R4=ASIA

(i.e. you guys were right all along)
Now, how we come to this conclusion:

Game: Tekken 4
Disc: TEF1 DVD0

Dongle: TEF1, Ver.D
Results:
1) JVS test
2) "This game is for use exclusively in JAPAN..." warning screen
3) "Tekken4 will begin momentarily..." loading screen
4) Attract video w/Japanese subtitles
5) Title screen (Jin Kazama in background)
6) Default blood color is RED in setup.
Clearly R1 is the Japanese region as expected.

Dongle: TEF2, Ver.D
Results:
1) JVS test
2) "Tekken4 will begin momentarily..." loading screen
3) Attract video w/English subtitles
4) Title screen (black background)
5) Default blood color is GREEN in setup.
This definitely sounds like export criteria for R2, where in many European countries blood can't be shown (weird).

Dongle: TEF3, Ver.D
Results:
1) JVS test
2) "Tekken4 will begin momentarily..." loading screen
3) "Parental Advisory Warning...Life-Like Violence-Mild..." warning screen
4) Attract video w/English subtitles
5) Title screen (Jin Kazama background)
6) Default blood color is RED in setup.
Well this settles it. R3 is CLEARLY USA (Who else would put a parental advisory on a game where no one will see it, yet default blood to red?).

Glad I could finally test this as for years I've been convinced that R3 was export, NOT R2...
Just had to finally complete a matching version set of one game with dongles from all three regions!
Region 4 doesn't need to be tested as it's only been seen on the "Asia" versions of Taiko Drum Master games.

*Great news for this update*
Replacing my i/o board solved all the button issues, as well as having the test mode dip switch work again.

I was able to get into test mode on both my japanese and english dongles, set both to free play and verify button inputs.

So I'm 99% happy with everything. The 1% is there is a random green flicker (line across the lower portion of the screen). This happens at about every 3 seconds or so.

This is on the 246 system, and I've tried using both of the VGA ports (neither was better or worse than the other). I'll switch out the vga cable tonight and see if that does anything.

My dip switches are set to everything is off except #3 (31 kHz). If I turn anything else on it doesn't display at all.

*Great news for this update*
Replacing my i/o board solved all the button issues, as well as having the test mode dip switch work again.

I was able to get into test mode on both my japanese and english dongles, set both to free play and verify button inputs.

So I'm 99% happy with everything. The 1% is there is a random green flicker (line across the lower portion of the screen). This happens at about every 3 seconds or so.

This is on the 246 system, and I've tried using both of the VGA ports (neither was better or worse than the other). I'll switch out the vga cable tonight and see if that does anything.

My dip switches are set to everything is off except #3 (31 kHz). If I turn anything else on it doesn't display at all.
That green line happens due to the converter. For what ever reason, that converter does not like to play nice with anything in 31khz mode. I’m super glad you were able to fix your issues!
you could try playing around with the converter to get some good results but if you want excellent results, I suggest getting an ossc. It will not disappoint. :)

Reviving this thread like a goober. I want to trade my Japanese language SoulCalibur 2 Dongle+Conquest Dongle for an English language one. Disc is not original. Have a nice day.

Back