What's new
Not out of date at all, MagicGate was listed in the first post as the main hurdle.
The MagicGate keys are very much available (even the arcade ones), and it looks like someone has PRed MagicGate emulation, so in theroy you'd probably get further with the games if you merged that person's stuff in.
There are also tools now that will just in place decrypt boot.bin, so you could do that and give the emulator an already decrypted version.
You'd still hit issues where the extra PCB isn't emulated yet, so I don't expect the game would boot though unforunately!

so thats where we’ll need to get those chips decapped?

I guess so, weirdly enough, the 246B wouldn’t boot fully if the Namco daughter board doesn’t detect a video signal coming from the PlayStation 2 motherboard. I’m not sure if the later 246C has this issue but the 246A/Driving variants don’t. Not sure if that would be another issue. 🤔

Possibly, although I think the chips used on that board are mostly already emulated in other things (although I could be wrong).

So I think all the info to probably build it is already there, it’s just finding someone with the time and skills to do it!

Magic Gate is a non issue at this point. We have the algorithm, we have the keys. I even added support to COH dongles to PS3-MCA, you can use the PS3 CECH-ZM1 usb adapter to read/write the dongles without disassemble them (which was a requirement before the magic gate keys were known). We also can decrypt the boot.bin file "no problemo" now.

I guess so, weirdly enough, the 246B wouldn’t boot fully if the Namco daughter board doesn’t detect a video signal coming from the PlayStation 2 motherboard. I’m not sure if the later 246C has this issue but the 246A/Driving variants don’t. Not sure if that would be another issue. 🤔

That detection is on the JVS microcontroller firmware (TCLS-900) . It checks if there's sync from the PS2. The video the PS2 board outputs is VESA SoG and the NAMCO board converts that back to RGB... The SONY DIP chip in there gives it some control over the RGB it outputs after that conversion. I believe the whole idea around that complex video circuit is allow them to hide the blue screens with text the SONY BIOS draw during the dongle detection part of the boot process.

That detection is on the JVS microcontroller firmware (TCLS-900) . It checks if there's sync from the PS2. The video the PS2 board outputs is VESA SoG and the NAMCO board converts that back to RGB... The SONY DIP chip in there gives it some control over the RGB it outputs after that conversion. I believe the whole idea around that complex video circuit is allow them to hide the blue screens with text the SONY BIOS draw during the dongle detection part of the boot process.
Very interesting! At least you were able to answer this question that has been mind boggling me for quite a while lol! I knew about the whole ps2 SOG to RGBS conversion thing. I do plan on making a guide on all 2X6 hardware as I basically got all them and been studying them for a while :)

Magic Gate is a non issue at this point. We have the algorithm, we have the keys. I even added support to COH dongles to PS3-MCA, you can use the PS3 CECH-ZM1 usb adapter to read/write the dongles without disassemble them (which was a requirement before the magic gate keys were known). We also can decrypt the boot.bin file "no problemo" now.
the bad thing is that the github page about the PS3MCA tool was taken down 😞

Very interesting! At least you were able to answer this question that has been mind boggling me for quite a while lol! I knew about the whole ps2 SOG to RGBS conversion thing. I do plan on making a guide on all 2X6 hardware as I basically got all them and been studying them for a while :)
Check that small altera CPLD which has a white sticker in it, that does handle this and some other related stuff, I believe it does some sort of glue logic for the TCLS-900.

oh yeah, i did here about that shortly after seeing this lol

I have doubts about PCSX2 doing this. Already Play! is at least trying.

Back