What's new
Yes it’s not even worth to repair . I did it a few times but the prices are to low to compare the time i need to reball it .

@rfsup

Yes it’s not even worth to repair . I did it a few times but the prices are to low to compare the time i need to reball it .

@rfsup
Not familiar with the reballing process, so maybe this is an obvious question. What about stealing a whole/working GPU from a donor board and attaching it to the broken one? Or is reballing required reguardless?

Not familiar with the reballing process, so maybe this is an obvious question. What about stealing a whole/working GPU from a donor board and attaching it to the broken one? Or is reballing required reguardless?

The Naomi GPU is attached to the PCB with over 100 tiny solder balls. Reballing is the process of clearing the old solder off a GPU donor part and from your PCB, placing new solder balls onto the donor part, and melting the donor part's solder balls to the PCB pads evenly. That's also assuming that when your current GPU popped free that it didn't lift some of the PCB pads off with it - if existing PCB pads were damaged then they'd have to be repaired.

Overall, reballing is labor intensive and difficult to pull off successfully without specialized, expensive equipment.

Exactly as @ShootTheCore is saying is verry intensive. I have special BGA tools to do this but this still requires me to do a lot of hand work . It’s doable but not at the rate a n2 is worth . The price to fix it almost hits the same as getting a working one of the shelf . Maybe in 5-10 years things changed .

Exactly as @ShootTheCore is saying is verry intensive. I have special BGA tools to do this but this still requires me to do a lot of hand work . It’s doable but not at the rate a n2 is worth . The price to fix it almost hits the same as getting a working one of the shelf . Maybe in 5-10 years things changed .

I'm still glad to know that you have BGA rework equipment - I may be hitting you up sometime down the road! :D

Reactions: AMS
Back