What's new

DXDeacon

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello,

So I Setup and finally finished my Naomi 2 setup. I also installed one of those single outlets to the back so I can boot the whole thing up at once. When I was first booting it up I would say it would power on and boot 3/4 times. For the last couple of weeks though, when I boot it up it powers on and everything spins up, but I don't get the Naomi to boot. I checked all the wiring and the only thing I noticed was the ground cable from the strip seemed a little loose based on how I stripped and cut them. So I re did them all with additional length and that night it appeared it did the trick as the machine booted every time I powered it down.

The next day how ever it would be back to only booting maybe 1 in 5 or 10 times. I shake things up and unplug, re-plug, wiggle, etc...until it finally boots. Kind of lost as to what it could be. Thought maybe something with the Capcom I/O recieving correct power or a cable being loose but after all my troubleshooting, it seems it's kinda just random. Yesterday it booted 3/5 times that I tried but that is not common.

Any ideas? I have a Naomi 2 setup with the NetDimm 512MB, multi region bios, and an Antec power supply with the adapter. Thanks in advance.

So no, removing the DIMM did not seem to help, nor did removing the Multi Bios chip...

I am suspicious of the power supply, Naomi likes to suck 3.3v, esp if you have a full NetBoot setup.

I was curious of that as well. Didn't understand why it would work sometimes though. I also was communicating with someone online that was answering some questions for me with the same setup and power supply, no issues whatsoever.

Unstable power often leads to these seemingly random failures, yet another area to check would be the gauge of the wire used in your custom on/off switch.

So the adapter came with a couple wires already prebhookedbup, the remaining are the ones from the power strip. The stock wires are on the thinner side tho, not sure on the gauge.

So I unplugged everything from the surge protector hooked to my outlet adapter and put it all into a different Surge Protector plugged directly into the wall. Same problem. Actually I haven't even gotten it to boot all the way in the last 2 days.

So any other ideas other than switching and trying a different Naomi system? I have rewired everything, tried booting without DIMM, without bios, straight to a surge hooked to the wall, to the surge hooked to the custom switch, no boot at all now. Get power up and spin and even sounds like the motherboard on the Naomi is transferring the same way a computer board sounds when it boots, but don't actually get a boot up.

Using the ATX to Naomi adapter I got from Mitsurugi, and it's a Naomi 2 if that matters. Power supply is the EVGA 600w that supports 3.3v. Appreciate any help as I thought I was done with the guts of this thing and finished the exterior, only needing the marquee to be done. Now it won't boot and it's driving me nuts.

what voltages are you reading under load?

That might be a bit over my head. At this point everything Powers up and spins but I don't get anything on the screen after the monitor logo so not sure how to see the load.

^^^^ while your power is on and connected into the Naomi (that’s the “load” part)

Thanks for the assistance guys. Readings are as follows based on that link provided

Cn2
2- 3.35v
3- 4.89v

Cn3
2- 3.34v
3- 4.86v
4- 12.29v

Last edited:
HI DXDeacon,

I used to have power up issues as well until I checked the Ram modules. I had a faulty Ram module which caused my naomi2 netboot setup not to power up. How many ram modules do you have? Is your Netdimm 256 or 512? Check you ram modules and try powering up with only one module installed to isolate the faulty Ram module.

I will try that but the issue exists even when I take the DIMM out all together. I have a 512 currently. Yesterday I actually installed a new Power Supply and when I initially hooked it up, it booted the first 5 times before returning to doing the same thing....

Hi DxDeacon,

So are you saying that it doesn't boot at all with the netdimm? If so it might be a power issue? Another problem I had was that my power supply didn't have enough wattage so it would do the same thing boot for the first 5 times then refuse to boot. I bought myself a 1000 watt atx power supply and made my own adapter to hook up to the Naomi and that fixed that issue. These systems are picky when it comes to power.

Thanks for the assistance guys. Readings are as follows based on that link provided

Cn2
2- 3.35v
3- 4.89v

Cn3
2- 3.34v
3- 4.86v
4- 12.29v
huh not sure how I missed this post. 4.86 is low for your 5v line. A lot of folks shoot for around 5.15 since there is further drop, and you want all the chips getting 5.0v.

do you have any other power supplies you could swap in? Honestly I use an adjustable arcade power supply (the original Naomi Sun PSU) and that makes things very stable. I chucked my EVGA 430w in the garbage for issues like this.

@DXDeacon

Yeah I used to use ATX power supplies and I used to make the ATX to Naomi harnesses. However after many frustrating hours I stopped using both.

Not being able to adjust the 5vdc and 3.3vdc voltages on the ATX power supply is a huge hindrance. As @ekorz said it's super important that the end-line components get the power they need. Just because you measure it at the power supply adapter and you get 3.3vdc does not mean the components are getting the power they need. I have had to adjust the 3.3vdc output as high as 3.6vdc to get 3.3vdc to the NetDIMM. Same goes with the 5VDC. You will find allot of times that games will not start because of this issue. the Atomiswave conversion games are especially notorious for this.

You should really look into acquiring a Sun arcade PSU that has adjustable pots for 3.3VDC and 5VDC. These came in just about every Sega game from the late 90's until they started using PC ATX power supplies for the PC type game systems.

Back