What's new

GhaleonUnlimited

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, I just got a Naomi setup, and was looking for a thread on what all you need to play lightgun games. From what a forum user here helped me with, seems like you need:

-A sensor for each lightgun
-Lightguns (will HOTD1 guns work w Naomi? Or are they different tech?)
-Sensors you mount on the bezel of the TV (can it be any size TV then? 16x9 OK if you frame them right?)
-Naomi default IO (mine is for MvC2, so I'm assuming I need a different one?)

If there's a thread or resource I can read for all this anywhere, thanks for the link on advance!

I understand you can play Chihiro games W this too. Any other SEGA boards?

I can do the work, but I don't have the knowledge of how all this stuff works really. Thanks!

HOTD1 guns are not compatible with Naomi Games. From Naomi to the newest generation of gun games they use a Sega Type II IR setup. I think you could also use the OpenJVS solution with Aimtrack or Gun4IR guns but I have not tested that yet. I think the cheapest option to play in original hardware is to get a working lightgun cab with this type of setup, I have a HOTD3 Chihiro cab and can change the MB to a Naomi and netboot all the Naomi gun games and for Chihiro HOTD3, Ghost Squad and Virtual Cop3 are available, for the last 2 there are some features lost as HOTD3 does not have a button for the Change action in GS or a pedal for VC3.

My advice would be to evaluate the OpenJVS solution with GUN4IR guns as there are more flexibility to map extra buttons on the guns. (Or go the Sinden route with emulators)

Awesome, thanks for the info! Sounds like you've got the dream setup. I hope to also have it running eventually :)

Not checked on OpenJVS light guns in awhile... can't see Aimtrack working, since it needs some video overlay. I would think that the easiest would be something like the GunCon3.

You are correct I just tried Guncon3 and it worked great with the OpenJVS hat.
Can I get more information on getting Guncon3 to work with OpenJVS? What's that setup look like?

I have a Guncon3 and assume I need a USB RS485 dongle. Also have WiPi Netbooter and a netdimm in a Club Kart. Not sure on next steps to try using a gun. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Just to add some info to the thread…
*Vc3 in bios has a setting for type 1 or 2 gun I/o
*AIMTRAK does not use overlays as someone stated above it does
*SINDEN uses overlays

Never used openJVS
Sounds promising!

Back