What's new
Your direct setup probably has the time limit hack. I actually would try a new 0 key before losing any sleep over my hardware.

Same problem here, with the only exception being that it worked fine for a couple years. Now I get Error 33 after it loads the game, does the memory check, and resets. Some games will load at least to a text screen indicating what the game is, and, like others, Sega Tetris fully loads for about 30 seconds. Eventually they all reset to Error 33.

Based on my reading here, it seems prudent to swap the RAM around, and/or change the PIC. I ordered a new PIC off Ebay today for $10 -- should I wait for that before messing around anymore, or is there something else I could try in the meantime? Is there a guide anywhere on what RAM is compatible with this?

Last question, at any point would I need to get into the NAOMI MOBO for any of this? It's been years since I put this together and am having to relearn it all, thanks to this error :)

Same problem here, with the only exception being that it worked fine for a couple years. Now I get Error 33 after it loads the game, does the memory check, and resets. Some games will load at least to a text screen indicating what the game is, and, like others, Sega Tetris fully loads for about 30 seconds. Eventually they all reset to Error 33.

Based on my reading here, it seems prudent to swap the RAM around, and/or change the PIC. I ordered a new PIC off Ebay today for $10 -- should I wait for that before messing around anymore, or is there something else I could try in the meantime? Is there a guide anywhere on what RAM is compatible with this?

Last question, at any point would I need to get into the NAOMI MOBO for any of this? It's been years since I put this together and am having to relearn it all, thanks to this error :)
Hey there :)
I would clean the RAM contacts like you would a Nintendo game, Iso and q-tips, or even a soft pencil eraser prior to that. However, it's probably unnecessary; if you don't have the memory checks disabled in your netbooting setup, it almost has to be the PIC.

The new PIC ought to get you sorted, but if it doesn't, we're here to help. If I had seen this post before the mailman came I would have thrown in some DIMM screws for you. They are M3 screws, Carts have 4 M3x30. The 70mm one is only used on the dimm, so 3x M3 30mm and 1x M3 70mm will properly secure the NetDIMM to the NAOMI.

I would clean the RAM contacts like you would a Nintendo game, Iso and q-tips, or even a soft pencil eraser prior to that. However, it's probably unnecessary; if you don't have the memory checks disabled in your netbooting setup, it almost has to be the PIC.

The new PIC ought to get you sorted, but if it doesn't, we're here to help. If I had seen this post before the mailman came I would have thrown in some DIMM screws for you. They are M3 screws, Carts have 4 M3x30. The 70mm one is only used on the dimm, so 3x M3 30mm and 1x M3 70mm will properly secure the NetDIMM to the NAOMI.
I didn't realize you were the seller! Thanks for the reply.

Right now, the netDIMM is in the NAOMI caseless so I could troubleshoot more (I actually never have had it screwed into the mobo). Noted on the screw length!

Just so I'm thinking about this correctly, the PIC is the socketed chip on the netdimm itself, right?

Jumping back into this thread, any new pic source files these days? Thinking I'll make some new ones myself... should still have some PIC16F628A around here someplace.

Just so I'm thinking about this correctly, the PIC is the socketed chip on the netdimm itself, right?
Correct!

Jumping back into this thread, any new pic source files these days? Thinking I'll make some new ones myself...
At this point, the published NET one works for both net and CF, and while I still use a source I compiled years ago for the PIC, it functionally acts the same.

I'd like someone to revisit the PIC source used on Type3 [Chihiro] hardware; I think it's "good enough" but not as rock solid as it is for NAOMI.

Correct!

At this point, the published NET one works for both net and CF, and while I still use a source I compiled years ago for the PIC, it functionally acts the same.

I'd like someone to revisit the PIC source used on Type3 [Chihiro] hardware; I think it's "good enough" but not as rock solid as it is for NAOMI.

Got a link to the current one? Finding multiples... may all be the same, but I'm too lazy to do a checksum.

So, I tried a few things (all with no change):
- I cleaned the RAM contacts and slots
- I swapped the RAM modules
- Tried 1 RAM module at a time (not enough RAM error on boot)
- RAM self test was good
- reseating the PIC
- lifting the PIC slightly and booting

Which led me to finally dust off the Chipmax 2, which promptly flagged an error on the PIC that it was "inserted incorrectly or damaged" (it was inserted correctly).

SO! It seems a safe bet that a new PIC will fix this. Any insight as to what happens to these things? I know all electronics can fail randomly, but is there anything I should be checking that could have caused damage to the PIC, or is it likely just a random thing?

SO! It seems a safe bet that a new PIC will fix this. Any insight as to what happens to these things? I know all electronics can fail randomly, but is there anything I should be checking that could have caused damage to the PIC, or is it likely just a random thing?
Theoretically over-voltage on the 5V rail, but there are much more sensitive chips on the NAOMI than this IC. Probably bad luck I suppose.

Edit: @Kujako if you drop me a PM I'll zip up the various PIC versions I've collected over the years, but this is the most commonly used one around here AFAIK
https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...ng-and-cf-on-naomi-chihiro-and-triforce.6611/

Why do you not just use chunksins image and enable the time hack (and memory check skip) option? No pic is needed.

Why do you not just use chunksins image and enable the time hack (and memory check skip) option? No pic is needed.
I used to operate this way, but if your network, pi, anything like that has an issue outside of the NAOMI, the NAOMI may crash. Back before the Pi, people often booted straight from laptops, and the PIC allowed you to just unplug the laptop when it was done booting, instead of it being tethered for the time limit hack. Not so much a concern if a dedicated pi is there with the NAOMI; the scripts are quite stable on linux.

tl;dr, time limit hack works, but like I always say, a hack is a hack. A few bucks for a PIC is cheap peace of mind IMO.

Fwiw I had been helping a dude netboot recently on fb and he forgot to install his zero key beforehand.Everything he threw at it booted using transfergame with no key. Never had any issues once everything was setup. Roms came from a mega link I previously found here.

So I installed the new zero key and... same issue. I can load some games and they play (Puzzle Bobble), some will load and display graphics then error out (Sega Tetris, Powerstone), but most just reboot to an error 33 screen.

Any ideas?

Well that sucks. I test them before I mail them but if you want to send it back I can check it out. And if you would like a 2nd just for sanity sake let me know, I will take care of you.

Otherwise I'm not sure what the problem is but it's likely something in the DIMM :/

Well that sucks. I test them before I mail them but if you want to send it back I can check it out. And if you would like a 2nd just for sanity sake let me know, I will take care of you.

Otherwise I'm not sure what the problem is but it's likely something in the DIMM :/
I appreciate that offer but have a feeling it's not the issue, though I suppose it wouldn't hurt...

After finally receiving another set, I tried a RAM swap today and still got the same error.

I'm guessing at this point a totally new netdimm is the fix? Before I pull the trigger on that, @skate323k137 do you have any opinion on netbooting vs. Compact flash? Is there a "superior" way to handle a Naomi setup at this point?

I'm guessing at this point a totally new netdimm is the fix? Before I pull the trigger on that, @skate323k137 do you have any opinion on netbooting vs. Compact flash? Is there a "superior" way to handle a Naomi setup at this point?
That's unfortunate. IMHO, netboot is ideal for home, and CF ideal if you leave a single game on forever or at a location.

So, I got somewhere.

Swapping my Piforce Tools image for the WiPi Netbooter at least got games to launch... However, error 33 would occur ~10 minutes into gameplay.

Turning on the time hack setting seems to have eliminated that issue. So, SOMETHING is still wrong but it works for now and I'm going to be happy with that.

I knew that was worth a try (that's what I said above on Feb 10th). Glad you got it going! Turn on the memory check skip too and run the update script. Chunksins image is amazing.

Yeah, I was really just keen on fixing the root cause than using a time hack. In any case, I'm gaming on this thing again and that's good enough for now. Plus, this image is far more feature rich than piforce, so even with the hack things feel like an upgrade.

Back