What's new

charles4400

Student
Reaction score
So I Finally got a Maze of the Kings to test out in my HOTD 2 cab. (previously tested confidential mission and crimson death ox on it as well and all is good and guns are accurate). Got a Naomi 1 with gd rom and MOK running. Was even able to source two newly rebuilt staffs for the game (woohoo!). But here is where I am kind of stumped.

On gun adjustments mode the staff guns won't shoot the top target while aiming down the site. It always displays 'out of range' when I aim to the top. The result is very very bad accuracy aiming high... Thought it might be the gun staffs sensors themselves so I put in a known working regular gun which tested pretty accurately on Confidential Mission, HOTD2 & Crimson Death. On that gun I was able to calibrate UP but was not able to calibrate down? WTF?

So on one gun it wont calibrate up and on the other it won't calibrate down?

This seems to only be a problem for this game, the others calibrate pretty well. IS there any other adjustment I can make. I noticed on the gun sensor themselves inside the gun there are 3 pots that can be turned with a small screwdriver...what do they do?

Any thoughts?
?( ?( ?(

DO NOT adjust the pots on the sensor or on the Gun Sense board. from what I've been told by a Sega tech, these are reference voltages for the sensors and are finely tuned to the specific sensor in the unit. From my understanding it's pretty much impossible to get adjusted back to it's proper setting with out the proper calibration equipment, and if adjusted too far out of range can permanently damage the sensor or the gun sense board.

----------

If the gun is giving you an "out of range" message then it means that the sensor in the gun cannot see one or more of the IR emitters around the parameter of the screen. Sometimes this is because something is physically blocking it, like an out of alignment sensor or ir emittor, sometimes it's because the sensor itself has a dead spot on it.

Make sure that the optical housing is clean and free from scratches and properly secured in the gun housing and if it's still causing problem try taking a step back and calibrating from a further distance. You should also check to ensure that all of your IR LEDs units are functioning and secured properly. (you should be able to see a faint red light).

well I adjusted the pots. I asked the dealer who sold me the guns and he sent a copy of what looks like a service bulletin or it might have even been a page from the manual about adjusting the pots. The bulletin basically said one pot was for vertical and the other horizontal and to adjust accordingly (I'll scan that in later tonight). It didn't mention enaything about the third pot.

On practice it was not as simple as a vertical horizontal adjustment from 2 different pots. I can't say I understand it completely but I was able to manage to adjust the pots to where 1 can aim with accuracy until about up to roughly about 3" from the top of the screen. Not ideal but certainly much better than before.

That's as far as I've gotten. I hope these adjustments don't screw anything up as far as boards go. I don't see how else an adjustment can be made unless its the pots.... any more input is always welcome though!

Thanks for sharing the service bulletin. Anytime I'd ever inquired about adjustments was always told not to touch them. Maybe that's true of some but not all of the adjustment pots.

I found the bit at the end interesting: "Once parameters are changed, only Sceptors will work. Lost world type guns will not work."

I wonder if there's something specifically different about the MoK "gun" housing that requires the different adjustment.

The housing for the staffs is put together different than the standard guns. There are actually 3 parts of the housing. The left, right and then the 'face' of the staff slides over the gun barrel (very tightly at that). But the sensor is in a standard position and nothing out of the ordinary of how it is placed inside and how it faces out in the gun. Luckily I have these extra staff guns to switch out with the regular guns since they will be very out of adjustment for the other games I mentioned. Maybe that's what the bulleting meant.?

It is still strange how I cannot get the the accuracy for the top 3" or so of screen. I guess I will have to live with it unless anyone else has ideas. I've kind of chalked it up to not aiming down the sights of a staff like the pistols lol!

When I adjusted the pots they are way different than the pictures shown on the bulletin and the adjustments aren't as simple as the bulletin says, its not just adjust x and y axis, it seems the more you turn past a certain point negates what you aready adjusted. And the third pot I am not exactly sure what it does but adjusting that throws off what you adjusted from the other 2. PITA actually but maybe someone knows how to correctly adjust the pots???

Back