What's new

Talon

Beginner
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Naomi 2 and net dimm that I'm going to put into a Namco Cyber Lead cabinet. However when I plug it in everything seems to boot but I get no picture. I've checked to make sure the monitor is set to 15kHz and that the dip switches are set correctly which from what I've read online it is dip switch 1 set to no and 2,3,4 set to off. My assumption that I'm coming to now is that I'm not getting enough power to the Naomi for video to output? I'm going to try using an old ATX psu that I have and make an adapter cable. I was wondering if anybody else had ideas as to anything else that might fix the issue. Thanks!

How are you powering the naomi? Power is likely a cause, the naomi is power whore. Try to remove the netdimm and boot it up, see if you get a picture then.

I tried and still no picture. I'm powering it using the original psu in the cabinet. I was thinking it might be enough power since it has both power connections for the Naomi, but I'm probably wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_20160109_174418.jpg
    IMG_20160109_174418.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:
Naomi motherboards won't POST if the fans aren't working. Also check the voltages your PSU is outputting especially 3.3V. Naomi's are fussy buggers.

The fans are working and are really loud. I should hopefully have an extra atx psu laying around connected to it tonight. I'll let you know what the results are.

I recently acquired a Naomi 2 and net dimm that I'm going to put into a Namco Cyber Lead cabinet. However when I plug it in everything seems to boot but I get no picture. I've checked to make sure the monitor is set to 15kHz and that the dip switches are set correctly which from what I've read online it is dip switch 1 set to no and 2,3,4 set to off. My assumption that I'm coming to now is that I'm not getting enough power to the Naomi for video to output? I'm going to try using an old ATX psu that I have and make an adapter cable. I was wondering if anybody else had ideas as to anything else that might fix the issue. Thanks!
Well, if you have sound I'd assume that everything is working properly. Try with a different monitor and make sure the VGA cable and connectors are not loose.

I'd say that it's not a power problem, but I can be wrong.

Here's a question. What does the naomi do if it doesn't have a bios inserted into the motherboard? I have an extra Naomi 1 sitting around that I've connected to it and there was no picture there either. I was thinking that it would at least display some sort of error if it was indeed a video issue with the Naomi 2, but I could be wrong since I don't know what a Naomi does without the bios inserted. I don't want to chance pulling the bios from the Naomi 2 to try in the Naomi 1 because I don't want to damage it as it's really hard to pull out.

Here's a question. What does the naomi do if it doesn't have a bios inserted into the motherboard? I have an extra Naomi 1 sitting around that I've connected to it and there was no picture there either. I was thinking that it would at least display some sort of error if it was indeed a video issue with the Naomi 2, but I could be wrong since I don't know what a Naomi does without the bios inserted. I don't want to chance pulling the bios from the Naomi 2 to try in the Naomi 1 because I don't want to damage it as it's really hard to pull out.
With the correct tool BIOS removal would be easy. Snag an IC puller somewhere on-line :).

If your Naomi doesn't have a BIOS it's not going to boot. Also, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, the Naomi 2 BIOS will not work in your Naomi 1.

The bios I have is the universal bios H which to my understanding from reading online is able to work with both Naomi 1 and 2, but I could be wrong. And thanks I'll buy one right now! :)

The bios I have is the universal bios H which to my understanding from reading online is able to work with both Naomi 1 and 2, but I could be wrong. And thanks I'll buy one right now! :)
Don't know anything about the universale BIOS personally. You may very well be right.

If your Naomi doesn't have a BIOS it's not going to boot.
Yep. Just a black screen.
to my understanding from reading online is able to work with both Naomi 1 and 2, but I could be wrong.
Incorrect. I'm assuming you mean the Multi-region bios made by Pipkin. There are two different versions. One using Rev C for N2 and one using Rev H for N1. Swapping them will result in your Naomi not booting.

if you have an H bios, then you have an wrong bios!
H is the latest one for Naomi 1

But an wrong bios wouldn't boot anyway, only an black screen and no sound

Sounds like you need to take your Naomi 2 bios and put it in your Naomi 1 where it belongs!

Oh so the H is only for Naomi 1? I didn't know that thanks for the information. Is there someone that can flash and sell me a Naomi 2 bios so I can use it for my piforce and cf cards?

Yep. I can but I need to check if I have a spare 27c160 chip left.

I tried the bios in the extra Naomi 1 my friend gave me, but it's really choppy/laggy when booting up. I'm guessing that motherboard is shot and why it was laying around at his house.

I tried the bios in the extra Naomi 1 my friend gave me, but it's really choppy/laggy when booting up. I'm guessing that motherboard is shot and why it was laying around at his house.
it's just means that you need to change somes ram chips, and it will run like its first day. Check my Naomi repair log on the forum for information

I found a guy selling the EPR_23605C. From what I've found online that is a Naomi 2 bios and will work with the gdrom. If this is true will it work with my cf cards and piforce?

it's just means that you need to change somes ram chips, and it will run like its first day. Check my Naomi repair log on the forum for information
Would you be able to link me. I can't seem to find it.

I found a guy selling the EPR_23605C. From what I've found online that is a Naomi 2 bios and will work with the gdrom. If this is true will it work with my cf cards and piforce?

Would you be able to link me. I can't seem to find it.
I think he means this thread: [Repair Log] Sega Naomi

Back