What's new

2006Chaos

Student
Reaction score
So i have a big blue capcom arcade cabinet with a very strange sound issue, so this is a stock condition cabinet and im not sure what exactly is wrong with the sound i have tried to change the speakers, the audio cables i have also tried to change the games both A and B boards. I even changed the capcom sound amps. Nothing has fixed the issue. I get sound but i cant turn up the sound louder then a low normal volume. If i turn it up louder then the sound starts to distort. The one thing i did was i unplug the audio cables but left power cable alone and the distorted sound kept on going even though the cables where not hooked up. Im not sure what exactly is going on here im not very experienced with arcade hardware. The only thing that i have not been able to do is trying out a new power supply as i don't want to spend the money on that unless it will fix this issue. I have tried putting each of the parts into my other capcom machine and they work just fine, except for the power supply as the other machine uses a different power box. Any help with this strange sound issue would be great. Thank you 🤔

The one thing i did was i unplug the audio cables but left power cable alone and the distorted sound kept on going even though the cables where not hooked up.

When you say distorted sound, I take it's some kind of loud buzz? It's not distorted game sounds, is it?

CPS2 outputs mono audio as well from the jamma connector, is this usually wired up in Big Blues?

Does the audio amp have a separate transformer?

When you say distorted sound, I take it's some kind of loud buzz? It's not distorted game sounds, is it?

CPS2 outputs mono audio as well from the jamma connector, is this usually wired up in Big Blues?

Does the audio amp have a separate transformer?
So using a this scale 1-10 as a example, so i have the volume set at 4 and it sounds completely normal at that volume level, ok so now if i turn up the volume to 5 or pass that the very second i take a punch say for example I'm playing Marvel vs capcom as a example. When i get punch and the volume is past 5 or higher than i get a sound like a machine gun going off is the best way to describe the noise its not a buzzing sound it's like full auto gun firing sound" "TATATATATATA!" and it sounds like it could be coming from player 2's speaker because player 1 speaker you can hear the lower end of the game audio playing but when a forward sound like a punch happens it gets mixed up with music audio at the same time and then it just sounds like that, Tatatatatat! Type sound. Until i lower the volume back to 4. The minute i turn the sound pass 4 it does then crap. I have tried all my games on different arcade cabinets and they play fine with super loud volume. This cabinet is the only one acting like this on volume. And it does this with other games that are not cps2 i put in a F3 Taito setup in there and the minute the volume goes past 4 it goes nuts.

Attachments

• 20210927_142443.jpg
    20210927_142443.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 20210927_142430.jpg
    20210927_142430.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 85
I think I know what your issue is, I had a similar issue and it was resolved by replacing the RCA stereo wires

I think I know what your issue is, I had a similar issue and it was resolved by replacing the RCA stereo wires
I have tried that already, I said that I did in my first post that I had changed the audio cables. I used brand new cables i got a lot of RCA cables that i have tried out. There is no change in the issue. I can take all the parts from big blue and place them in a different machine piece by piece and they all seam to work just fine. Like i said i took the capcom amp board with the cables and the game and the speakers and I put them in my other capcom arcade machine and they work with no issues, the only thing i haven't done is switch the power supply box because the big blue uses that happ PowerPro ultimate power supply that has the power on/off switch on the side so you can access it at the bottom side of the cabinet.

Attachments

• 20210927_165351.jpg
    20210927_165351.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 20210927_165338.jpg
    20210927_165338.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20210927_165232.jpg
    20210927_165232.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 99
Try disconnecting your fluroscent assembly power connector. The ballast in the assmembly can sometimes produce sound problems when they go bad.

Try disconnecting your fluroscent assembly power connector. The ballast in the assmembly can sometimes produce sound problems when they go bad.
I just tried your suggestion and it didn't have any changes in the sound issue. I have a video of the sound issue i took with my phone but i can't get it to load on here for more helpful content. It seems that only pictures are the only thing that is allowed.

Last edited:
The thing I'm wondering about is that you said you disconnected the audio cables and you still hear the distorted sound.

How are you connecting the F3 to the amp? I guess you're not?

Disconnect the power connector to the amp. If you're not sure what connector it is, take a pic of the amp, and just remove all the wires connected to it.

The thing I'm wondering about is that you said you disconnected the audio cables and you still hear the distorted sound.

How are you connecting the F3 to the amp? I guess you're not?

Disconnect the power connector to the amp. If you're not sure what connector it is, take a pic of the amp, and just remove all the wires connected to it.
Thats right I unplugged the RCA cables and the weird sound kept going just without the game sounds so it would be that same distortion just you wouldn't get the game noise being played. I used the F3 to test if the speakers and wiring were the issue but they worked from the test i did but no i didn't hook it up to the Capcom Amp board. Just to the speakers wires. I have 2 capcom machines that have Qsound speakers and the capcom amp board and the isolation transformer. The other one i can turn the sound up till your ears bleed and i get no issues at all in that machine. I cross over the parts back and forth and i get issues only in this machine and its only in the sound when the volume is increased to a certain level. But if you decrease the volume level back the sound goes back to normal. And so if I unplug the power cable from the capcom amp the sound turns off no sound completely at that point. But if power is connected and you unplug the RCA the weird sound happens and stays if you have a previous sound just before you unplug the RCA cables.

Last edited:
Back