What's new

xodaraP

Legendary
Reaction score
Hi all,
So I've seen there are mods out there to use FPGA dev boards to go to HDMI. They require quite a bit of hacking to work and are kind of ugly.

Is there a CPS2 AV/DCHDMI style board you can buy/build to get a HDMI output (preferably like said boards in a modern resolution)

Thinking of consolising a 2 slot, but would want it to be easily playable on both a CRT or modern TV.

I did see that @xtrasmiley and @Hatsune Mike had looked into some options and may have tested (and in Mike's case built) prototypes but I'm unsure how far anyone has got.

If the answer is "build a OSSC/RetroTink into it" that's not what I'm looking for, I'd be better off just consolising and connecting an OSSC in that case.

Sadly, it never went anywhere.

Bob from RetroRGB had hinted at a solution for NG awhile ago, but was being secretive so I have no idea what it was.

I think RGB and OSSC is the easy answer right now.

I'm looking at the Neo Geo HDMI solution that currently exists since its FPGA based.

I'm hoping that it's as easy as calculating the higher resolution and using an appropriately powerful current FPGA and external crystal to create a device similar to CPS2 AV.

But I also have absolutely no experience with FPGAs outside of building devices and flashing them with already written code.

If the answer is "build a OSSC/RetroTink into it" that's not what I'm looking for, I'd be better off just consolising and connecting an OSSC in that case.
This may not be the answer you're looking for either, but if HDMI output is a hard requirement, have you considered going full retard FPGA, and using a DE10-Nano/MiSTer-based setup? The Neo Geo core has progressed quite nicely since launch, and add-on boards for using original controllers (namely the BlisSTer) also exist.

It's not a hard requirement, more I was curious as to whether I could make it happen.

If I can't, I install RGB connections and output via an OSSC. I just thought given the popularity of the platform a similar solution to the CPS2 AV might exist

We will release the VGA16 Scandoubler for the MVS next month. It will have 480p output through component and VGA with scanlines feature. It's an FPGA based internal board. You can then use a simple HDMI converter or OSSC for converting to HDMI output.

I’m in the process of consolizing a 2 slot and I saw your SCART solution. Very clean setup. But is there a reason you went for a SCART connector for output rather than a DIN connector?

The SCART connector is a huge complicated hole to cut in the housing of a Neo board.

It's just to use standard widely available cables. We will use these boards in our custom metal enclosure for the MV-1C. We will also offer mini-din version soon. You can cut a rectangular hole, then mount this board to a laser cut plexiglass (scart shaped) for better looking.

If there is a mini DIN version coming that’s what I would prefer. At this stage I’ll be using the n00b RGB amplifier boards to a mini DIN output. I really like the idea of a panel mount PCB though.

Back