What's new
But that is NOT what you said. Not. Even. Close.

I don't have an attitude problem. There is no way you meant what I wrote.

My example is about justification of creating the ODE.

Your comment was about justifying the purchase of the ODE (because there are only 3 or 4 good games).

I'll refresh your memory:
Is that the $300 ODE? Can you justify that kind of cost for the 3 or 4 games worth playing? Real question, I sold my 3DO like 10 years ago, maybe games (as everything else today) have become super expensive.

I don't think you were saying the entire development cost of the ODE was $300, so you could only be referencing the cost of the unit.

So - you definitely weren't saying what I said.

I'm not a fanboy of any sort. I like almost everything. I don't care what anyone likes or doesn't like. What you like doesn't have any impact on my life or things I enjoy. My attitude is to let people like what they like and not be negative about it. It doesn't matter, if I don't like something, if other people are having fun.

After I thoughtfully answered your question, I made a comment that the post seemed like a troll. If you consider that to be a huge slight, then I apologize. I just couldn't understand someone asking if something, that they admit they aren't a huge fan of, is worth $300. If $300 is to you what $50 is to me, then sure; buy it just to have it. To most people $300 is a significant investment to make in something that they don't care for all that much.

Got mine installed this week. Very easy install and also just recycled the CD cables. Very easy setup too. I'd just done the NeoGeo CD ODE and that was drama filled for me, so this was a nice change of pace. Thanks for the video @awbacon1!

@Blio Seri
Obviously more of a niche product than some of the ODEs, but the 3DO fan base seems surprisingly large. I've come to quite like the console and know I would never play through the library if I didn't get this. So I feel I will get my money's worth out of it. However, if really only 3-4 games resonate with you it is likely not worth it. Admittedly, the exclusive or definitive port list is smaller than most other consoles. Although you ALWAYS need more devices to play Star Control II on.
I'm glad this was easier than the Neo SD loader (which isn't technically an ODE, he patches the bios to read from the SD card). Unless there's another SD card adapter for Neo CD that I'm unaware of.

I have to also been playing games that I never would have played without the ODE. They may not be 10's but they are defiantly worth some time. I wish I knew about some of them earlier.

For me, a console doesn't need a lot of exclusives to be good. Before all the consoles were PCs in console clothing, I liked to get the same game for multiple systems because they were usually different in some way. I appreciate those differences. I actually enjoy the horrible version of Doom for 3do because it's still Doom.

Have you discovered anything new (to you) that you are really enjoying?

Yeh that's the one. Fills the ODE niche in my life so just call it an ODE but yeh fair call. It was my own fault. I bought the Aliexpress version which uses the older poor fitting socket. I foolishly waited ages before installing so lost the claim window for it. Still got it working with strategic foam placement.

My real attraction to ODEs (and anything else that allows me to move away form media) is to lower the space for my next possible O/S move and to play things I would otherwise never bother or just embarrassingly missed for whatever reason (like Ōkami for the PS2). Hehe have to admit I used Wolf3D and Doom to test the 3DO ode. I love seeing those on any hardware (I loved @DragonMinded's Doom port for the Naomi not so much to play but just to have it running - so cool).

Installed and tested Thursday but since been stuck in front of my work computer. I'm kind of keen to try Lucienne's Quest. I'd not come across it until loading up the SD card. Found it interesting that the release reviews varied so wildly but seems to appear on a few best of lists.

Is there any danger of these selling out? My 3DO drive is dead so I'll need one eventually

Yes that danger is when the guy who sells it stops, unless he open sources his design.

However, there is still the other OdE from the guy in Russia. Trustworthy guy, shipping might be an issue at the moment for him.

Yes that danger is when the guy who sells it stops, unless he open sources his design.

However, there is still the other OdE from the guy in Russia. Trustworthy guy, shipping might be an issue at the moment for him.
Thanks! Are they price comparable? What's the name of the Russian one, so I can look it up? Thx!

Is there any danger of these selling out? My 3DO drive is dead so I'll need one eventually

Fixel does plan to release the software and hardware as open source so others can make the ODE. You might also be able to grab a working CD drive from a 3DO owner who has put the ODE in their console.

Yeh that's the one. Fills the ODE niche in my life so just call it an ODE but yeh fair call. It was my own fault. I bought the Aliexpress version which uses the older poor fitting socket. I foolishly waited ages before installing so lost the claim window for it. Still got it working with strategic foam placement.

My real attraction to ODEs (and anything else that allows me to move away form media) is to lower the space for my next possible O/S move and to play things I would otherwise never bother or just embarrassingly missed for whatever reason (like Ōkami for the PS2). Hehe have to admit I used Wolf3D and Doom to test the 3DO ode. I love seeing those on any hardware (I loved @DragonMinded's Doom port for the Naomi not so much to play but just to have it running - so cool).

Installed and tested Thursday but since been stuck in front of my work computer. I'm kind of keen to try Lucienne's Quest. I'd not come across it until loading up the SD card. Found it interesting that the release reviews varied so wildly but seems to appear on a few best of lists.
I didn't realize that there was a newer/better socket in later revisions of the Neo SD Loader. If I remember correctly, I received version 'E'. I only had a little trouble with my install. First time in tried to boot up, it didn't work. Reseated the socket and it was good. I was surprised it never stopped working after moving the system to dust.

I don't know anything about Naomi but it's an area I've developed some interest in. I want to get a Naomi multi up and running, but need to gather more information before I dive in. I need to read more posts in the Naomi forums before I ask any questions.

Lucienne's quest wasn't for me, but I do see it gets some good reviews. I hope you like it.

How does this new one compare to the Russian one, which is the one I have?
I played through Doctor Hauzer n loved it, haven't played much else though.
I do recall not being able to get a 128GB USB stick to work even when i bought the same one the creator used.

How does this new one compare to the Russian one, which is the one I have?
I played through Doctor Hauzer n loved it, haven't played much else though.
I do recall not being able to get a 128GB USB stick to work even when i bought the same one the creator used.
IMO better and also a hell of a lot easier to acquire.

I should note I am friends with the dude who makes the new ODE. I still put my stamp on it being a legit awesome device…but it’s also only fair I say that :)

I recently updated boot.iso to r5.

When it boots it says version 1.0.0.

If I start a game and then return to the menu using eject 2x I notice the version number changes to 1.0.2.

I have 2 ode and both perform the same.

Anybody else notice this?

Back