What's new

erzane

Professional
Reaction score
Hi there,
How many meters of wire do you order when you rewire your whole New Astro? Is 5meter enough?
The colors are notified in the manual. Should I buy each color and spiral color or is it possible to find a set with all colors?

I don't remember well all about the subtilities of that subject since I didn't do this since three years now. But when I needed spiral or special thickness, I usually bought Kyowa wires and I had to order the colors one by one. Until now, regarding casual wires (for example for the rewiring of my Pony), I bought the HC-12 from Tops :
https://www.tops-game.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=2616
But this time Id like to have the same wires that Sega uses for their cabs. I know Akishop sells them, but I doubt they are in activity since it always takes a very long time until they reply and I'm not sure if they also sells spiral code wires. Anyway, Tops also do sells these ones, but there, the light green and the spiral versions are missing :
https://www.tops-game.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=3278

I see that Sanwa is also selling some wires, did you try the CK-12 yet?

What about the KVB? Why only three colours? Maybe these are 18awg?

And what about the CHS-TS2? Can I do something with that if I only want to use it for the Jamma without having to keep the JVS?

Attachments

• Sanwa harness.JPG
    Sanwa harness.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 73
  • CHS-TS2.JPG
    CHS-TS2.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 77
5 meters is not nearly enough. You will probably need much more than 100.

I think candy cabinets like the Astro City used UL1007 In varying sizes, mostly 22AWG for controls, sound, and video and 18AWG for power.

Sega used high quality wiring for Astros so unless there’s something wrong or if it’s badly hacked, I wouldn’t re-wire it.

Finding wire to match all the color variations in sega wiring is a fool's errand. How bad is the harness that you need to completely re-make it? I mean I build custom harnesses as a business and I don't ever replace "main" harnesses on my own cabs (or build them for others), just sometimes re-crimping what's needed or patching hacked up stuff or building the smaller harnesses that connect to it. For example on the Aero I'm working on I needed to build a new degauss harness because it was hacked out, along with a bunch of smaller fixes.

It do not worth to leave the old harness if I can have a brand new one and do a clean job.
Btw, can you tell me if you see something wrong in this shema?
Thanks

Attachments

• Sans titre-1.jpg
    Sans titre-1.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I mean whatever floats your boat but unless you have genuine AMP-UP and Faston crimp tools (among others if you plan on doing the monitor harnesses as well) you're not going to do an equal or better job than Sega. Original parts, even repaired are always preferable imo. It's not hard to troubleshoot a harness and check continuity using Sega schematics for reference. Maybe redo the JAMMA connector segment. But the entire cabinet wiring? What's the difference in "clean" by carefully cleaning/testing/installing the original and building one from scratch? Is it an aesthetic thing?

rewiring the control panel is a PITA, I couldn't imagine doing the whole cabinet! is your Astro missing the wiring? why not just clean, patch, and repair?

rewiring the control panel is a PITA, I couldn't imagine doing the whole cabinet! is your Astro missing the wiring? why not just clean, patch, and repair?
This guy appears to be re-building his entire cabinet using *ONLY* original part specifications.

Doesn't make sense to me, but then again, I don't refurbish or repaint my cabs and just kit them out with the missing parts and leave them as is.

Feel a little more genuine to the way I see them out in the field. They do look a bit crap, but meh...

I've rewired 4 cabinets, using sevetal Happ 8-liner harnesses I had. Now I'm on the same boat as @erzane, I had a FUBAR Daytona USA 1 harness, nevertheless, there was enough wire (long enough) to made something decent for the astro I'm restoring.

I've got the manual for checking the wiring but I'm not familiar with this kind of diagram/drawing yet. I'm not familiar with electronics but I'm good at finding, buying, analyzing and reproducing what I see. That's why I made my own simplified diagram. Ive observed and reproduced the original harness for this. But I guess everybody do it the same way...
I kept the harness asis so I can compare how Sega did it, but I removed some connections to make the harness more light to fit my own use. Ive removed some earth too since I'll not connect the coin mec for example and maybe other stuffs too. Also I'll add a LED instead of the neon so the wiring will be very minimal and will necessite less connections.
I notified that the Astro - compared to the Pony 18'' that' Ive refurbished the same way - does have much more earth connections, that's why Id like to be sure that my nac diagram does have the connections needed. So, please can you check my diagram and tell me if something is missing/wrong?
I'd just need a little bit of your help to shape the final step of my project concerning the wiring of a cab which seems to be a little more complex than the Pony I did before. Your help is appreciated. Thanks!

p.s. hackcell : when I rewired my Pony 18'' I used about 5m of wires, but it's a small cab. I guess 10m would be more convenient for an Astro. At the time, I bought four rolls of 30m of 18awg (black/white/grey/purple) and I bought separately all the 22awg. I bought the 18awg by Kyowa and concerning the 22awg, I bought the HC-12 from Tops.

Last edited:
Back