What's new
Heya guys, if you have your kits working well, can someone sanity test an issue that I’m seeing with my build? For some reason, I’m seeing improper black levels in Magic Sword (U) and Final Fight (U) that I cannot debug. Debating if it is an issue with my CPSdigiAV or with the FW

Attachments

• IMG_8626.jpeg
    IMG_8626.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8610.jpeg
    IMG_8610.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 21
I am not seeing black level issues like that. But I can check with that game in particular.

Good catch - super obvious on Final Fight (U).

@raynex can you check Final Fight and see if you see the same issue? If you do - likely FW related as it would be a crazy coincidence if all of us made the same mistake soldering it back on.

The picture with the deeper blacks is through the JAMMA edge (via a retrotink) and the washed out black background is through the DigiAV HDMI.

Attachments

• IMG_8093.jpg
    IMG_8093.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8092.jpg
    IMG_8092.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 18
Good catch - super obvious on Final Fight (U).

@raynex can you check Final Fight and see if you see the same issue? If you do - likely FW related as it would be a crazy coincidence if all of us made the same mistake soldering it back on.

The picture with the deeper blacks is through the JAMMA edge (via a retrotink) and the washed out black background is through the DigiAV HDMI.
It's semi noticeable, but definitely noticeable in the Final Fight section you posted. If you switch HDMI mode to DVI, the black levels return to normal. HDMI mode switches back to a partial washed out look, but it's not prevalent in all the games. Mine is going through the Morph with a few Firmware behind as it's being updated practically every other day. Ignore the blooming as my TV is getting worse. I gotta buy a new one soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1333(1).jpg
    IMG_1333(1).jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1337(1).jpg
    IMG_1337(1).jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1335.jpg
    IMG_1335.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1334.jpg
    IMG_1334.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1332(2).jpg
    IMG_1332(2).jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1331(1).jpg
    IMG_1331(1).jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1330(1).jpg
    IMG_1330(1).jpg
    167 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1329.jpg
    IMG_1329.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1328(1).jpg
    IMG_1328(1).jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 11
Oh jeeze, thank you guys so much, I literally wasted like a week futzing around with my wiring thinking a bit or buffer was failing, glad to know I wasn’t seeing things

@raynex do you have a way to get ahold of marqs and let him know about this particular issue? What forum did you post on your other issue? I can post over there with my example pics and see what he says.

For Final Fight - even when I change modes from HDMI to the other modes, its still washed out, and not black.

Matt

@raynex do you have a way to get ahold of marqs and let him know about this particular issue? What forum did you post on your other issue? I can post over there with my example pics and see what he says.

For Final Fight - even when I change modes from HDMI to the other modes, its still washed out, and not black.

Matt
I don't have a direct way to message Marqs; I just post to the forum he hangs around with his mods and hope he responds. You can post issues here: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=59479&sid=cc17723d849fa4ae93ca94a0d42921ca

Posted over there - I might also downgrade the firmware later tonight if I get time, and make sure it looks correct with the older FW.

Huh - well, I just downgraded to the 2020 version of the FW - and it's the exact same thing.

So - we will see what @marqs comes back with - but its not an issue with the new FW, as the old version does the same.

Huh - well, I just downgraded to the 2020 version of the FW - and it's the exact same thing.

So - we will see what @marqs comes back with - but its not an issue with the new FW, as the old version does the same.
Yep, it’s my first time working with the CPS1 and I noticed that issue on my install, I reported it to marqs like two weeks ago, but until we could have other people repro the issue, we couldn't confirm if it was a faulty install on my part.

I had gone over the wiring countless times and even hooked up a logic probe to the buffer input/output to confirm there were no dead data lines, but it seems I was able to consistently repro the off-black issues on a couple of games.

if you want to test and downgrade the firmware - i am guessing you will get the same results as I did - exact same black issue in Final Fight.

What is odd that in Street Fighter 2- no issues at all, so it does appear to be game specific.

Whoops, I got the game wrong, the "Winners Don't Use Drugs" screen is from Knights of the Round (U), check that out and see how bad it looks on your end

Whats funny is reviewing my test capture from two weeks back, the Magic Sword issue repro'd there as well. I was checking the map segment on Final Fight in the same video, are we expecting it to be completely black?:

View: https://youtu.be/N9sjfZPtmdU?si=KROHd3gDhsrKzSn9&t=394
Weird thing is that I don't have that issue with Magic Sword. It's clean. But I updated Morph and changed the color space to "Full" and it fixed Final Fight's washed out blacks. Previously it was set to auto and maybe detecting something different from the CPS1? IDK. I also changed CPS1 HDMI to Full RGB.

Attachments

• IMG_1338.jpg
    IMG_1338.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 11
Knights of the Round drug screen. Pretty black here.

Attachments

• IMG_1340.jpeg
    IMG_1340.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 13
Knights of the round (drug screen) - on both the CPS2 Digi AV out AND the crt - have that not quite black border. This is w/o any scaler - the CPS2 DigiAV port going into the screen, and the JAMMA edge going straight into the CRT.

I am wondering if in Final Fight its just easier to see because the black level on that intro animation screen isn't truly black, but with the black border around it - it makes it look more obvious?

Attachments

• IMG_8099.jpg
    IMG_8099.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8098.jpg
    IMG_8098.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 14
Pulled up Final Fight on my analogue pocket - the black background isn't black there either. I think everything is working correctly.....

redid my qsound cable as @raynex suggested - so I won't have issues with noise on the qsound lines... time to get it all buttoned up!!!! dual oscillator installed, new helper board - life is good!

Attachments

• IMG_8103.jpg
    IMG_8103.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8102.jpg
    IMG_8102.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 14
redid my qsound cable as @raynex suggested - so I won't have issues with noise on the qsound lines... time to get it all buttoned up!!!! dual oscillator installed, new helper board - life is good!
Oh wow, you got it to fit! lol. Mine wouldn't come close to fitting the shield into that pin header. I must have not twisted it hard enough to shrink it down further. Looks great and definitely the way to go for this install.

Back