What's new

Moonwalker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would like to mod one of my New Net City cabs to LED light. Since I keep it in Tate the starter of the neon bulb has an effect on the screen that leads to a color change in a specific area. The distance from the starter and the bulb is too close to the screen in Tate mode.

First of all I would like to ask if it is possible to do and keep cables and so on stock so that it is easily reversible.

Second I would like to ask for the correct materials and approach, did someone already mod his NNC?

Thank you
Luciano

All I did for my LED bulb was to remove screw in starter.

Edited: Use an LED designed to work with a balast in place or run an LED that isn't and delete the balast entirely.

Last edited:
All I did for my LED bulb was to remove screw in starter. All wiring and ballast itself was kept in place. No issues.
Sounds great, thank you! So you replaced the neon bulb with a LED one only and took out the starter? That would be perfect!
Could you please tell me what LED bulb you bought? Maybe a link?

Thank you very much!

It's a tight fit in the Lindy too must be the same unit.

I've not used it yet though just test fitted it as I will wait for my flo tube to die before using the led replacement.

I think I did try it with the starter in place which caused it to flicker every know & then so I guess you need to remove the starter for it to fully work.

If you don't want to modify the ballast there are LED bulbs specifically that drop in.

https://a.co/d/fsbXn8P
Yes, you must pull the the screw in starter or it will flicker like crazy as Chihiro mentioned.

These bulbs were not labeled as drop in but it's been months without issues. If anything, keeping the ballast in place is likely just using more electricity than needed compared to if it was removed.
Thanks! So just to be sure. I did not modify anything yet and would like to be able to insert the bulb only plug and play.

Can I use this bulb and just take off the starter?

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08FDRMQJQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Thank you guys!

This thread has inspired me to get the led tube in my Lindy as now I know why it was flickering so today I did so the flo tube must of been oem as it has the same mark of "Jet" on it as per the ballast.

Never seen a metal starter before either must be a Japan thing.

Attachments

• DSC_1256.JPG
    DSC_1256.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_1255.JPG
    DSC_1255.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_1254.JPG
    DSC_1254.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_1253.JPG
    DSC_1253.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_1252.JPG
    DSC_1252.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 42
I went to do this today on my Astro City and found out that it uses an 18" bulb, not 24". Measure twice order once!

Last edited:
Devils advocate against "should be fine" here. Not directed at anyone in particular, so please, nobody take offense.

The ballast/fluorescent lighting is directly tied to the AC mains, the same way as the cabs own PSU. Flickering and interruption here is disruptive to a lot of things, up to and including issues with the cabinet's CRT (which, again, is tied to the mains).

I strongly encourage LCD seekers to either get a bulb designed to be run drop-in with the starter/ballast, or, properly bypass the ballast as documented elsewhere on the forum. If your own setup is working and you don't want to break the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule, I totally get that. But I'm not personally taking any chances at all when it's the AC mains involved, nor will I ever advise anyone else to.

All I did for my LED bulb was to remove screw in starter.

Edited: Use an LED designed to work with a balast in place or run an LED that isn't and delete the balast entirely.
Sorry to ask again. I just remembered that we only get 220v bulbs here in Europe, so I need to order one in the States or Japan anyway. I would like to go for Amazon USA and have a last question before ordering.

How can I see if the bulb is supporting balast or not and if it runs without a starter?

Thank you very much!

There is usually installation paperwork included in the box that will state if balast must be bypassed/removed. Not all amazon listings make this clear when you order, so best to ask the seller.

My Lindy is 100v but the previous seller installed a stepdown inside & this is common with JPN cabs here in Europe.

Also most stuff now is multi voltage like say a pc PSU 100-240v auto switching as it just makes it cheaper & easier for the sellers to ship one product worldwide.

I've seen three types of LED replacement bulbs. One keeps the ballast and starter. One has hot and neutral on one socket and no connections on the other. And the other has hot on both pins of one socket, neutral on both pins of the other socket.

IMO the ones that bypass the ballast and starter seem like a better idea so you can just remove all that stuff and not worry about maintaining it.
On the other hand the drop in ones where you don't remove anything are way easier to install.

Also if you're leery of random Chinese led bulbs, GE actually makes both types.

I picked up drop in GE bulbs as that's what they had at my local Lowe's. The 18" worked perfectly in my New Astro with a magnetic ballast (even though it says electronic only). 18" also fit in my Ok Baby (it has a whole replacement fixture with an electronic ballast). I read online that the Blast City is 18" but in mine it was a 24" T12. Luckily I picked up one of those too, though now I'll have to go back for another one for the New Net City. They have selectable color temperature as well.

PXL_20230808_224341897.jpg PXL_20230808_225259775.jpg PXL_20230808_224851248.jpg PXL_20230808_224841798.jpg
PXL_20230808_225632604.jpg PXL_20230808_230352936.jpg PXL_20230808_230330127.jpg PXL_20230808_230308139.jpg

Last edited:
If you don't want to modify the ballast there are LED bulbs specifically that drop in.

https://a.co/d/fsbXn8P
Thank you very much, just saw the link. Unfortunately it is sold out.
The bulb works without the starter but with the ballast correct? So I just put it in and take off the starter?

Since it is sold out I found this one:
https://www.amazon.com/-/de/gp/product/B0B4JCTXTV/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2S3NAU337FBS8&psc=1

This should work as needed right?

Thank you for your help everyone.

Back