What's new

buffi

Champion
Reaction score
On a PCB I've been repairing, some of the bigger ICs I've had to swap seem to have been glued down with transparent glue on the underside (to help alignment I guess?).
Heating the chip up and removing it worked fine for melting the glue... but it also spread it out over the surrounding area causing... stickiness.

Anyone have any general good advice for removing transparent glue? A first sweep with Isopropyl Alcohol and q-tips helped a bit, but definitely still messy. Someone has some other better way?

You could try Eucalyptus Oil if you have access to it in your country?

Acetone is foul stuff, it stinks, the fumes are dangerous. It has an unusual property in that it can enter your bloodstream directly through your skin (potentially carrying dissolved containments with it).
it’s nasty. And it also dissolves some plastics. But for cleaning stuff it is awesome!

Will remove most glues easy-peasy

I guess, worst case the board will at least smell nice I guess?!?
That stuff removes goo gunk really well. You could maybe try that orange scented stuff too. I don’t know what it’s called. But I have use that on PCBs also.

your sure it's glue and not some kind of synthetic flux?
most glue will burn at reflow temperatures

your sure it's glue and not some kind of synthetic flux?
most glue will burn at reflow temperatures
I guess I’m not really sure what it is, but its a hell of a lot stickier than any flux residue i’ve encountered so far :)

Definitely looks and behaves like some sort of glue.

Try 90% alcohol first and then gently picking at the edges with a blunt edged tool.

I have seen techs clean boards with lighter fluid and it works really well to remove flux, so it may also be strong enough to help here.

Personally, I am a big fan of WD40 dry lube. I have used it on many boards to remove adhesives and it does so with ease. It is also the only product I have used that liquifies butyl, but that is a another topic.

I tried some white spirits, fancy IPA and brown spirits and feel much better now thanks.
FEB40DFA-5AD0-4E49-9116-9312E031BF3D.jpeg

Back